Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Questions from a Diabetic going to Paris, Strasbourg, Lucerne

Dec 8th, 2000, 07:22 PM
Susan

We will be going to these three places next September. My husband is diabetic, is currently controlling it with diet so isn't taking any medication, but wondered about being able to order dishes without any sugar and being able to determine for sure if they have sugar. Although not fluent, we will be able to ask the waiter if a dish contains sugar. I think in Europe they generally use a lot less sugar than the US (other than desserts & pastries, of course). I also think medical attention would be close and competent if needed (not likely). Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for any input.

Dec 10th, 2000, 07:00 AM
mom

We are going to Paris in Dec&Jan with my child who is hypoglycemic (very bad) and my father who is diabetic (controls as he pleases with diet). For my daughter, I am bringing perfectly balanced snack packs that I make and Dr. Atkins bars. I will also bring peanut butter and potted meat(yuck).

We have been to Europe several times, they normally understand the term, diabetic so we do fine in restaurants. The only problem I worry about is her getting a sugar-low when it is not time to eat so we must always carry snacks with us. She can not wait 20 minutes for a seat at the restaurant then another 15 minutes for the food. If your husband gets sugar-lows or highs you will need to keep this in mind.

Also, don't drink the "fruit juice", especially at hotel breakfasts. We found that they always contained lots of sugar. They really seem to be juice flavored Kool-Aid.

Dec 10th, 2000, 10:10 AM
Tricia

I thought this might help even though you say you are traveling without insulin some of the hints may help!

Dec 10th, 2000, 10:16 AM
Dawn

Here is a message board for diabetics who are traveling
and a place to order travel kits and other essentials from the basic emergency kit to a diabetic kits- everything is surgar free!
http://www.safetravel.com/kitintro.htm

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/dteam/d_0d_0le.htm

Dec 10th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Tricia

http://www.diabetic.org.uk/guides/travel/travel.htm

forgot it!

Dec 10th, 2000, 10:22 AM

Dec 10th, 2000, 10:31 AM
Ed

As a broad generalization I find European food as a whole is no more, and probably less, "sweet" than US food.

Certainly traditional haute cuisine French-style preparation is more rich, but rich in fats, cholesterol, etc. Many traditional menus in parts of Europe (e.g. much of Germany, German-speaking Switzerland) are heavy on the meat and potatoes side.

But not rich in terms of sugar. Yes, there are some sugar-rich desserts out there. But you'll find desserts that would typically be sugar-filled in the US (tarts, fruit pies) to contain less sugar in most of Europe. And you'll find, usually, fruits more avaialable for dessert than in a typical US restaurant.

Breakfast fruit juices in hotels around the world tend toward the low-quality canned side.

Certainly you'll find competent medical care available most anywhere in western Europe ... in many cases better than could be obtained in the US.

Ed

Dec 10th, 2000, 02:29 PM
Susan

Thanks for all the input. I will check out these websites for any additional tips. He wouldn't be drinking any fruit juices anyway, they're way too high glycemic for a diabetic. Thanks.