Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Questions for upcoming trip - munich, bicycle, etc...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still planning my upcoming trip (one month to go!)I still have a couple of questions about Munich, Stuttgart, etc...

I'm planning on either bringing a bike or buying one there (i'm going on a one-way cycle trip up the neckar/Rhine and found out that I cannot rent a bike this way)I was wondering how much a used bike costs in germany (munich or stuttgart) and if there are lots of places that sell them? With the dollar being so week, anything over 100 euro would probably not be worth it
optionally I can bring a bike, of course it cost $100 to ship it each way. It might be cheaper and easier to bring it and sell it before i come back.

any advice?

I'm also looking for accomodation in Munich - Some people mentioned the pension westfalia as a nice place to stay, are there any cheaper alternatives or is this the best value? Also, excuse my ignorance, but a double does mean two seperate beds? (we are two guys traveling together)

I'm sure i'll have more questions later on, thanks to everyone who responds
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM

I think a Doppelzimmer is more likely to have a double bed. What you want to specify is a "Zwei Bett Zimmer", to be sure.

Make sure you understand the directions of the rivers you are talking about. For instance, from Mannheim, up the Rhein is south, towards Freiburg i.B. and Switzerland. Up the Neckar from Mannheim would be towards Stuttgart and then south towards Bodensee (Lk. Constance). You probably mean down the Neckar, from Stuttgart to Mannheim, and then down the Rhein towards Mainz.
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

<<Make sure you understand the directions of the rivers you are talking about. For instance, from Mannheim, up the Rhein is south, towards Freiburg i.B. and Switzerland. Up the Neckar from Mannheim would be towards Stuttgart and then south towards Bodensee (Lk. Constance). You probably mean down the Neckar, from Stuttgart to Mannheim, and then down the Rhein towards Mainz.>>

Ah yes, thank you for reminding me -I was referring to direction not specifically the geography - we're riding south to north, it's easy to forget when you look at a map.
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:46 AM

I can't speak about Munich specifically, but my experience in German cities is that even if you request a room with two beds, what you get may be two beds that are on the same bed frame, with only a slight space between them. This might perhaps be uncomfortable for two American males that aren't a couple.

So you would have to be very specific that the beds must be totally separate.
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:56 AM

At least it is normal that you get two separate comforters even with the double bed. Not a big one for two persons, which is often the case in Italy or France.

When I am on a bike tour with a (male) friend and there are no rooms with totally separate beds, we agree that there is a demarcation line midway and the one who intrudes, no matter how unintentionally and how slightly, buys the dinner the next day.

Works miracles