Good day, Otherchelebi,
I will be traveling to Istanbul for the first time in November and have been reading trip reports on Fodors as well as on other forums. I have read your comments with great interest and would like to ask you a few questions, if you don’t mind.
I would love to visit a jazz club and from your comments you have been to many of them. Would you be able to recommend one or two of them?
In response to a trip report from 2009, you mentioned neighborhoods such as Nisantasi, Sisli, Gayrettepe, Ulus, Levent, Bebek, Ayaspasa, and others. I would very much like to visit local neighborhoods. Is there a neighborhood that you would recommend over another for a first time visitor? Also, would it be easy to take a tram or train to these neighborhoods?
Outside of the major mosques and museums (Ayasofya, Blue Mosque, etc), are there smaller mosques that you would recommend visiting?
And finally, transportation. For the life of me, I’m having trouble understanding the Akbil. In your opinion is that worth obtaining?
I am an older, female, solo, AA traveler who likes to experience different cultures and experiences. Like many before me, I plan to stay in the Sultanahmet to be close to the major attractions. However, I’d like to spend a couple of days and get off the tourist path.
Any advice would be very welcome and much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 2 Paris November 2017
- 3 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 4 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 5 Camino de Santiago - tour companies?
- 6 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 7 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 8 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 9 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 10 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 11 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 12 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 13 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 14 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 15 1 night in Algarve in January?
- 16 Sorrento to Montepulciano- where to rent car?
- 17 A very important question regarding pronunciation
- 18 Wedding In Cambridge England
- 19 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 20 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 21 Current plan for March trip
- 22 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 23 Spain in 2018
- 24 Rentals in Madrid , Spain-Select
- 25 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
Good day, Otherchelebi,