Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Questions-Airfare to CDG (Paris) Round 2!

Oct 6th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

I had previously inquired (and received some great tips) about getting a decent deal on airfare to Paris in March. My travel plans have changed (drastically) and I now am looking at flying during the most expensive time of all (beginning of July! A cursory search has fares at just under $1000!

I have two questions:

1. When would airfares for this be most advantageous; that is, when do consolidator fares and fare sales for the summer come out? I am not one to wait for last minute fares. If I found a good deal today, I would buy it today!
I am flying from Milwaukee (or ORD) to CDG.

2. Would it be worth spending time searching for a package that includes a hotel giving me cheaper airfare even if I would much rather stay in an apartment that I have already found and tentatively (no money yet) reserved? That is, are the air/hotel packages worth it?

Any other tips/hints?

Thanks!
Oct 7th, 2004, 03:35 AM

Have you tried all the booking engines AND the Ita softwear www.itasoftware.com as well as Sidestep to check fares?

I am sure you'd get MUCH better fares out of Chicago since there is more competition on routes to Europe from ORD vs from Milwaukee.

If you prefer to stay in an apartment are you really going to be happy with a hotel unless it is absolutely so much cheaper you cannot afford to pass it up?

I think in your case the only thing that would make an air/hotel package "worth it" would be IF you felt you had saved considerable money. For some, just the "convenience" of an air/hotel package makes it "worth it" to them..for others they may seem like a big rip-off.

Good luck.
Oct 7th, 2004, 06:17 AM

I think you'll just have to keep looking and hoping for a little sale after the first of the year. Then you can decide about whether a package will save you money.
Oct 7th, 2004, 06:24 AM

If you go with a package, be sure to investigate the hotel choices before choosing (here and Tripadvisor)... that doesn't mean the vendor can't change your hotel at the last minute, however.

Most people using www.go-today.com have been satisfied with their transaction (but their low-end hotels can be very basic).
Oct 7th, 2004, 06:45 AM
ira

Hi steffen,

I think that you will just have to keep watching. Prices should drop in Dec-Jan.

Oct 7th, 2004, 07:38 AM

Hi Steffen,

I think its worth at least looking into package prices. They are not always the best deals, but sometimes they can be. We just recently purchased a air and hotel package with travelocity.com. We are leaving from St. Louis to Rome on December 1 for 4 nights. The package was only $50 per person more than the airfare (air fare was $550, package was a little under $600 per person), so in this case we definitely saved. Its worth doing your homework though; I thoroughly researched airfares and hotel costs before I purchased the package. In my case, it was worth it.

I would check the air+hotel packages from travelocity, expedia and orbitz, as well as gotoday and gate1travel. The other thing to do is probably just sit and wait it out. Decide on how much you want to pay for your flight. If/when you see that price or lower, take it.

Good luck!
Tracy
Oct 7th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the answers so far!
What does the Fodor community think is a representative price that I should expect to pay for air to CDG in July? What should I budget for?
Oct 7th, 2004, 02:01 PM

I've never flown in summer.... I recently paid $670 pp to fly from a Florida city to a hub, then on to Amsterdam, in the month of April. There were cheaper fares but I didn't catch them, and don't have the backbone to hold out less than a few weeks before the desired departure.

Your fare will depend on whether you live in a 'hub' city or will you have to add a leg to get to a hub city...

I'll offer an estimate that a July fare from a US hub will average $700-800 or more, without a sale.

Probably the best way to gauge if a fare is 'good' is to frequent Orbitz over the next 3 months (for July searches) and get a feel for what is 'normal'.
Oct 7th, 2004, 02:22 PM

I was going to say that I think it's way too early to worry about having to nail a ticket at this point. Now, I don't know air fare relationships for a place like Milwaukee, but I didn't think that fare was really unusual for peak fares (which are high June through August, pretty much). I've gone to Paris from Washing DC quite a few times in that period, including last year. Last year I paid $900 RT in July, nonstop on Air France from IAD. I think Washington DC is an expensive market for Paris, though -- I know Air France just had an ad for some sale fares (winter, probably) and, as usual, they had specials for other hub cities in the US, but not any from DC.

That was a decent rate last year, some competing airlines were actually higher, more like $1000-1200. I think I could have gotten one slightly cheaper if I were willing to spend a lot of time in the air and have connections, etc., but I'm not. I won't do that to save money, but you may be willing to, and that's an option. You might be more willing to compromise on flying time and changes than your accommodations.

There aren't usually sales for peak season summer fares, so I wouldn't expect them. However, that isn't a super rate, so you can easily wait and keep looking. I don't book until February-March for July.
Oct 7th, 2004, 03:16 PM

For the past several summers I have flown to various cities in Europe from either Boston or New York which is only slightly cheaper than Chicago. I have paid between $800 and $900. I've usually found the best prices for summer travel show up around December-January and last until about March when they start to go back up. So I would wait a little longer but don't expect prices to go much below $800. You do have to keep checking frequently cause they certainly fluctuate every few days.
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! Fodors never fails to amaze me with the responses that I get from all types of questions. I will take everything that all of you have mentioned into account including waiting a few more months. It does help to have a realistic view of rates and not to have a "pie in the sky" number that I will not get for peak travel season.
Thanks again!