Questions about traveling to Moscow

Jul 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Questions about traveling to Moscow

Hello, I've been reading this site for a while and appreciate the insight that everyone has here.

I'll be heading to Moscow and Siberia later this month. I'll be spending 2 days in Moscow before heading to Novosibirsk. I'll be staying at the Hyatt Arat in downtown those 2 days. Because of this, I plan on taking the Aeroexpress and then the metro to Teatralnaya. From there, I'll walk 2 blocks to the hotel. My questions are this.

Is that a safe plan? My flight lands in Moscow at 8 pm, so I'll be walking by myself late, and with a backpack, so I'll stick out for sure. It's not a long walk and is in the tourist area, so I feel that I should be safe.

Would it be better to take a taxi from Domodedovo or the paveletskaya station instead? I can do this, but I dread the haggling with the cabbies?

My other question is flying in and taking the guided tour, what should I wear? It could be really hot and I want to be comfortable touring the city. I've read shorts are okay and read it's a no no. I can survive in slacks, but I hate to do it.

When in the middle east, I avoided all non bottled water. I assume that this will be mandatory again here. So, brushing my teeth and so forth, I'm going to try and find bottled water or something.

Last, but maybe most important. Is Diet Mountain Dew in Russia?

Thanks for the replies!
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM

If it is a first visit to Moscow,I would recommend a taxi from Domodedovo since arriving at 8pm is late. It's not a safety issue nor will you stand out, it's just if you're not familiar with Russian or the Moscow metro it might be a bit intimidating. I usually take the train to Paveletskaya and then onwards on the metro, day or night. It's an easy walk from Teatralnaya past the Bolshoi to Neglinnaya Ulitsa where the Hyatt Ararat is. Always pre-book a taxi otherwise you might end up with an unofficial taxi.

I've never used bottled water in Moscow for brushing my teeth, esp not in a hotel such as the Hyatt. You can buy bottled water for drinking all over inc at kiosks.
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM

We are going in Sept so I've checked the sunrise and set. right now the sun sets at 10pm, so it will still be light out when you arrive. jk
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Odin. I've looked at the two sites that domodedovo has listed for official taxis. I have yet to get one to email me back. I'm all for that. I wouldn't mind doing it and avoiding the metro. The hotel will pick me up for 60 USD from paveletskaya, so I wouldn't technically have to ride the metro. Just get off aeroexpress and catch the hotel car.
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:13 AM

The metro is absolutely fine, very efficient and inexpensive. But for the first visit it's easier by taxi from DME, esp if you've never been before. If you're going to Paveletskaya anyway, it's only 3/4 stops to Teatralnaya or Okhotny Riad. I've used IBS Taxi service in Moscow.
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Found ibs's website. It's taxi in moscow(site name). Do you think I should book ahead of time? I'm worried they just won't show up. Sounds dumb I know, but just worried because of the horror stories I've heard.

Can anyone comment on dress attire while touring moscow. Are shorts a bad idea while on a city tour? I'll be doing one of the bus tours that you can get on and off on. Thanks!
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:59 PM

I think shorts, outside of a beach vacation or coastal city holiday, are not as appropriate in a large cosmopolitan city as capris, slacks or a long skirt.
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

I can wear slacks. That's no problem. I guess I'll wear something dark in color though. I don't see many pictures of people in Khaki's in Russia.
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM

Oh for chrissakes, wear shorts if that's more comfortable. There are 8+ million people in Moscow and significant numbers will wear shorts if the weather fits. And not many of them will look at you twice. Contrary advice is outdated.
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:01 AM

Book the taxi in advance, they will show up. IBS is used by many of Moscow's corporations and have been around since at least the mid 1990s. If not that company any of the official ones will be fine or get the hotel to arrange it (which will be more expensive).

People in Moscow wear the same things other people wear all over the world, it's much more westernised than maybe you realise. Shorts though, not sure about that, maybe in the parks it would be ok and of course people wear khakis and light colours.
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:58 AM

Of course you can wear what you want.. but I'm am sure most will agree that in large cities locals do not wear shorts but dress more conservatively. However, be comfortable. Was just giving my opinion.. and yes, I may be outdated and the younger crowd will probably be dressing down more than I remember.

No one will think less of you. You will be herded through sites with many others.. most likely dressed as you mentioned.
Jul 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM

As a fellow diet dew drinker, i understand the importance of your last question!
I traveled to Moscow in 2007 and the closest I was able to find was a kiosk that had cans of regular mountain dew. It was located in the souvenir market by Red Square (close by the McDonald's)
I also found regular dew in a grocery store in St Petersburg.
Hopefully they have imported in since then! Good luck!
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

For the shorts thing, I'm not overly worried about it. I just try and blend in as best as possible. Anything I can do to avoid the pickpockets and blatant rip off's is what I'll do. Thank you for all the replies.
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:13 PM

I would say that shorts are totally fine. I'm sure locals we'll figure out you're a foreigner no matter what you're wearing. So at least be comfortable. And I'd suggest no wallet in back pocket. My husband always puts it in his front pocket. Brushing teeth with tap water is absolutely OK. If you find yourself in a suspicious situation (e.g. alone on a dark street), pretend to be talking on your cellphone while walking briskly. No mountain dew advice, sorry. that stuff is not too good for you anyway. I suggest trying Kvas, local soft drink. quite tasty.
Aug 14th, 2011, 06:08 PM

Certainly easier by taxi the first time, pre-book your Taxi ride online, I have found trips from Domodedovo for $60.00 US, wait until your at the airport they get you for 160€ and hard to negotiate with them, and I speak Russian but with an American accent. Uncle Pasha a web site had cheap car pick ups, there are a few more as well online.
Aug 14th, 2011, 06:11 PM

Forgot to mention, if all fails don't negotiate at the airport taxi guys.

Walk or take the hotel tram to Novotel Hotel they have a drivers desk and are much more reasonable and new cars with English speaking drivers, vs the old cars with smokers at high costs at the airport. They