Search

Questions about trains & train stations in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2017, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about trains & train stations in Spain

Hello,
I have some questions about the train stations in Spain. My husband and I are going to Madrid, Toledo, and Andalucia in mid-September. We will be traveling by trains and buses. I have some mobility issues. I have leg pain caused by arthritis, and am currently in the care of a chiropractor and personal trainer. I can walk, but I walk slow, and do have pain especially in my right leg. Some days are better than others. I definitely cannot run.

We will be taking trains (have already purchased the train tickets) from Madrid to Toledo. Then from Toledo, via Madrid, to Cordoba. And the last train trip will be from Malaga to Seville. So, I have the following questions:

How early should we be at the train stations?
I assume we have to go through security, right?

Are there stairs at these particular train stations that we have to walk down, with luggage, to get to our trains? (I will be using a 24inch suitcase and a pocketbook.)

Approximately how long do the trains stop? How long do we have to board? I remember changing trains in Poland to get from Prague to Krakow, and I think the train stopped for 1 minute! No exaggeration! I was younger then and was able to make a mad dash from one train to the other.

We have 30 minutes in Madrid to catch our train to Cordoba (after arriving from Toledo). This should be enough time, right?

We will also be taking the Alsa bus from Cordoba to Granada, and then from Granada to Malaga. How early should we be at the bus station?

I apologize for all the questions. Just getting a little nervous now that our trip is fast approaching. To reiterate, I can certainly walk, but I am slow, and I can pull my suitcase. I cannot run.

Thank you so much for any information you can give.

Last edited by bvlenci; Dec 6th, 2017 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Quote is too long.
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 04:11 PM

Karen, I can try to answer some of your questions.

We didn't encounter stairs at Atocha or Cordoba. Escalators and elevators were available. The escalators were kind of steep at Atocha if memory serves; I had to brace my bag with my legs. You may find that difficult. But there were elevators to use instead.

I think a half an hour connection is plenty. Arriving 30-40 minutes before your departure seems sufficient too. You will have to go through security, but it goes quickly. It's not like security at airports.

We took a bus from Córdoba to Granada. We were only permitted to board a few minutes prior to departure. Get there with enough time to use the restroom if your bus is without a toilet. But there is othewise little point to getting there super early. You'll just end up standing around.
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 04:14 PM

Q about security - all trains in Spain? Or just major cities and AVE type trains?

Thanks
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 04:25 PM

It isn't that the escalators at Atocha are steep, they are flat surfaces, so you have to hang on to your luggage so it doesn't roll. Probably less steep than stair escalators.
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 04:32 PM

Elberko, yes, that's it! I couldn't remember why they seemed different to me; I'd forgotten that they were flat.
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 04:34 PM

Here's a photo:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...lectedIndex=52
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!
Elberko, the photo makes me feel so much better.
Indyhiker, thanks for your detailed response. Very helpful!
PalenQ, the stations I am inquiring about are Madrid's Atocha, Toledo, and Malaga.

Typically how long does the train wait at the station to allow people to board?
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 05:33 PM

<listening intently> Luckily, my mobility if fine right now but I"m still very interested in these answers.
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 06:44 PM

Most Renfe stations have some type of security, Atocha has scanners for luggage, but Bilbao has only armed security.

You should be at the station about 30 minutes before departure. The track is normally announced 20 minutes ahead of time.

If you are boarding at an intermediate stop, you should have a few minutes to board. Check your ticket for your coach number. There will be a notice on the platform telling you where the car will be stopping (hopefully). If boarding at the beginning of the trip, then there is no problem. The only issue will be finding space to store your luggage if you are not one of the first to board, which is why we normally travel Business Class, not Tourist.
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And do make sure you take everything with you when you get off! I boarded a train in Pamplona year before last to find a handbag and Fodors guidebook on the floor by my seat!

I would suggest rethinking that 24 inch suitcase. A 22 inch will be easier to handle and store on the trains.

I think Atocha was the only place I encountered security - just a bag X-ray. Leon had the machine but wasn't using it, although access to platforms wasn't as straightforward as it used to be.
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 03:33 AM

Once trains are announced on the board, you can go stand in the appropriate area for your car. Train pulls up and you enter. Not a lot of stop time, so I agree about reducing luggage size if possible.
Luggage is scanned, so any cork screw or knife should be in your pocket....just saying.
Renfe also has a luggage restriction. For size, your bag is well under the 85 cm (33 inches)size, but consider the weight.
https://www.renfe-sncf.com/rw-en/pre...s/luggage.aspx
Also, you should be able to see maps for all these stations.
I understand your concerns, but once you get on your way and have one station under your belt, I am sure you will feel better about things.
I will be honest, my concern would be the 30 minutes between Toledo and Cordoba. If you have a chance, you or your travel partner may be able to do a walk through the station beforehand as I believe they arrive and depart on different floors.
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 03:55 AM

I would suggest getting to Atocha (for your train to Toledo) with enough time to spare to get some info about the transfer between the train from Toledo and the train to Córdoba so that you'll have some idea on how to best effectuate it when the time comes.
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 04:54 AM

Looks like the train to Cordoba will leave from the lower level at Atocha, but the inbound from Toledo may arrive on the upper level. Good idea to check it out when you leave for Toledo - look at the departure board, noting that the train to Cordoba may show as Malaga, its destination, and not Cordoba.

According to bahn.de the train stops for two minutes in Cordoba - but half of that time is for passengers getting on. You should be in line, with your luggage, when the train stops.

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/inf...queAtocha.html
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
thank you so much for your helpful replies.
The tickets I purchased for the trains from Toledo to Cordoba are a combined ticket, although 2 separate tickets, so those 2 trains are suggested/recommended to get to Cordoba from Toledo. I hope I am making sense. Much like when you reserve airline tickets with a change-over somewhere. I did not purchase them separately.

I just checked the schedule again, and I notice that most of the trains from Toledo to Cordoba have a 30 - 37 minute "lay-over" at Atocha. There is only one with an hour. We are taking an Avant train from Toledo to Madrid, and an AVE from Madrid to Atocha.

Our actual connecting time at Atocha is 36 minutes.

Is it common for the train station employees to speak English?

Thank you!
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 05:36 AM

You don't need them to speak English. If you can't find your platform you show your ticket to one of them and say "disculpe por favor donde esta".

You are stressing out unnecessarily, really. The first time you are in Atocha, take the time to figure out where everything is.
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 05:56 AM

There are reader boards that update the train arrival and departure information. Platforms are not normally announced until 20 minutes before departure. You will be arriving from Toledo on one platform and departing for Córdoba on another.

http://www.adif.es/en_US/infraestruc...n_000070.shtml
http://www.adif.es/en_US//infraestru...lano_60000.pdf
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

I have looked at all the links everyone sent me and printed out the information. I feel much better now. It should have occurred to me to look at Atocha's website.

thursdaysd, I agree I am stressing about this unnecessarily. And I know it's because of my leg problem. We are finally retired, and can travel more, and now have some health issues. Not debilitating, but it slows us down. And thanks for the tip about being in line with our luggage when the train stops.

We took an overnight train in China in June, and finding our train and boarding went smoothly, so I shouldn't be worried about the trains in Spain!

Thanks to everyone!