Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Questions about specific Paris restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/questions-about-specific-paris-restaurants-621357/)

Agnes1228 Jun 6th, 2006 10:54 AM

Questions about specific Paris restaurants

Hello,
Everybody. I found the following in Eating and Drinking in Paris, and they do sound enticing, but I am curious IF ANYBODY on this forum has eaten there:

1) LE TIMBRE (6th) M: Notre Dame Des Champs (???)
2) La Fontaine de Mars (7th) M: Ecole Militaire
3) Chez Paul (11th) M: Bastille (???) (NOT to be confused with Chex Maitre Paul in the 6th)
4) Aux Lyonnais (2nd) M: Bourse
5) Au Gamin de Paris (4th) M: St.Paul
6) La Cordonnerie (1st) M: Tuileries
One more, La Cave Gourmande, even though it is far in the 19th, M: Danube

Thank you!
Agnes

StCirq Jun 6th, 2006 11:08 AM

La Fontaine de Mars has been one of my favorites since my first trip to Paris in 1975.

Chez Paul is also a good one.

ekscrunchy Jun 6th, 2006 11:13 AM

Have not been, but Le Timbre got an excellent write-up in Saveur magazine recently; short list of choices; good value; English chef, as I recall.

ira Jun 6th, 2006 11:15 AM

Hi agnes,

If you look up the names in the "search this forum" box, you will find what people have had to say about them, if anything.

((I))

ekscrunchy Jun 6th, 2006 11:28 AM

I just arrived home with a copy of the same book; they are pretty reliable in my opinion. With that combination of Alain Ducasse and de la Brosse from L'Ami Louis at the helm, no wonder that Aux Lyonnais gets a good report! I ate here many years go and have no real memory of the place.... Thanks for directing my attention to it; I will put it on my list.
Hope you do not mind my interrupting here, Agnes, but I am also beginning to research my choices for a week this fall...

If you are not already familiar with www.chowhound.com, I will mention it here as a great source of dining information.

djkbooks Jun 6th, 2006 11:50 AM

We very much enjoyed Aux Lyonnais. Be advised that the menu is more "interesting" than classic, and the prices are high. (Our waiter really tried to "sell" offerings we did not find all that appealing, but they may have been.) And, it was the only place ever we observed parties being asked to move upstairs for coffee and after dinner drinks so they could accommodate more covers...

La Cordonnerie is wonderful. Phone or stop by for reservations...

LoriNY1 Jun 6th, 2006 11:53 AM

DH and I weren't really impressed with Aux Lyonnaise. Pretty place, but the prices were high and the food average. I agree, the menu is 'inventive' not classic which was fine with us. I've eaten in better places.

Traviata Jun 6th, 2006 12:40 PM

Agnes,

We have eaten at Au Gamin de Paris and thought it was just okay...probably wouldn't go back...have also eaten at Chez Paul...would go back there..more atmosphere and good food..we really enjoyed it.

Agnes1228 Jun 7th, 2006 08:06 AM

Thank you! so much:)
Agnes