Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Questions about Scandinavian Itinerary - transport/hotel feedback
Notices

Questions about Scandinavian Itinerary - transport/hotel feedback

Jul 19th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Questions about Scandinavian Itinerary - transport/hotel feedback

Traveling from DC area in mid-summer 2014, we'll have 13 nights on the ground. We would like to visit Copenhagen (3-4 nights, 3 if we do the ship overnight to Oslo), Oslo (2 nights), Bergen (2 nights) and Stockholm (4-6 nights). It would be 4 Stockholm if we visit Visby (2 nights). I would appreciate advice on the best way to get from one place to the other. Does the ship from Copenhagen to Oslo travel over rough waters in late June? Is it a rowdy party ship? I anticipate the Norway in Nutshell tour to get from Oslo to Bergen. From Bergen, do I need to backtrack to Oslo to fly or take a train to Stockholm? Which makes the most sense in terms of time, money, sightseeing? Would you do this itinerary in reverse order? I think there may be a nonstop to Copenhagen, one reason why I planned that as the first stop.

I'm still looking for hotel feedback; these are some hotel candidates based on my reading of Tripadvisor.

Copenhagen: BW Hotel City? Radisson BLU? Somandshjemmet Bethel?
Oslo: ???
Bergen: Radisson Hotel Bryggen?
Stockholm: RIca Hotel Gamla Stan?
Visby???

Thanks for any firsthand experience you can offer.
Jul 19th, 2013, 01:34 PM

The ship I was on in July 2011 from Copenhagen to Oslo was not rough. I had taken motion sickness medication. It was not a party ship.

I flew from Bergen to Frankfurt, Germany, (the day after the Norway attacks) without any issues. I took the bus from my hotel to the airport.

Are you traveling to Aero Island, Denmark? Lovely place!

The weather was great when I visited Sweden, Denmark, and Norway in July 2011.

This is a website that I use for weather history: http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html
Jul 20th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

KL:

Thanks... DId you have a cabin on the ship? How was the food? Included or pay as you go?

Saw PICs of Aero on the Rick Steves tour (too rushed for me, but great ideas for places to visit). How does one get there from Copenhagen? Is it close enough for a day trip?
Jul 20th, 2013, 07:04 PM

Yes, we had a small cabin on the ship. The food was good. I ate at a huge buffet and had to pay for my food. It costs the equivalent of around $40 in 2011. I believe I was on DFDS Seaways.

When I went to Aero Island, I was on a Rick Steves tour, which I really like the pace. We took a bus from Copenhagen to Svendborg and then took a ferry to Aero Island. I had no expectations but loved it! Renting a bike at Aero Island, Denmark, was a nice treat for me on such a lovely day. I stayed at: http://www.aeroeisland.com/bed-breakfast-toldbodhus.php. No, it is not a day trip. I recommend staying at least two nights. https://maps.google.at/maps?q=svendb...ed=0CAoQ_AUoAg

Search this Thread