Questions about Royal Ascot Race, June 22-23

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have been invited to go to the Royal Ascot Race the weekend of June 22. We are at a loss as to what to wear and where to stay.

When I looked at the official website, I realized this particular weekend is different from the rest of the year. Can anyone tell me more about this? Is there a special race?

The website also says, "Ladies are required to dress in a manner appropriate for a smart occasion. Many wear hats, although this is not obligatory. Gentlemen are required to wear a shirt and tie, preferably with a suit or jacket. Sports attire, jeans and shorts are not permitted." The people who invited us (people in the London office) told my husband that "blokes will need a suit" but they were clueless about what women should wear. They only remember seeing "sexy dresses" in past years?? Can anyone help? What is appropriate? Even though the website says hats are not obligatory, should I wear one anyway? If so, is there an appropriate style?

Should we stay near Ascot or in London? Is Ascot the actual name of the city? We live in Cologne, so we're considering driving. My in-laws just happen to be in Coventry from June 23 on, so we are thinking of going there to see them. How long is the drive from Ascot to Coventry?

Any help and advice is appreciated. Thank you so much!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:36 AM

ngodeia:

The Royal Ascot meet in June will feature some of the premier flat races England has to offer, including the Queen Anne Stakes, Prince of Wales Stakes, and the St. James Palace. I noticed on the Ascot website that some top-class hurdle races are part of the mix as well.

Two Fodorites I’ve traded messages with seem to have had experiences at English race courses, so you might want to target them in a post. (I’m speaking of opaldog and lifes2short)

You might want to check out the dominant English racing newspaper for help, the Racing Post. The website is racingpost.co.uk

You also could attempt to contact Alan Shuback, the international racing correspondent for the Daily Racing Form. The DRF website is drf.com He regularly attends the major races in England and France. Alan gave me good advice about visiting Longchamp race course in Paris.

Ascot sounds like a great experience.

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:41 AM

It depends what enclosure you're in, and what day you go on.

if you go on Ladies Day the ladies are expected to make a bit of an effort (posh frock - mad hat, similar to a wedding).

But basicallly blokes need a standard whistle - although I look on it as a rare occasion to wear morning dress (which you can hire from Moss Bros should you wish). Women need the sort of clobber they would wear to any formal daytime function. There are rules about skirt length in the Royal Enclosure - but i can't imagine you'll be in there (me neither).

Although there will be plenty of chavvy bints in pussy-pelmets about the rest of the course.

As to where to stay - this is an easy one. London. There are regular trains to London on the day and it's a short hop.

And as for special race - it's the Gold Cup.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:27 AM

Would anyone like a translation? ;-)
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Naw. I'm afraid knowing the real meaning of "chavvy bints in pussy-pelmets" couldn't possibly live up to the image I have of it.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Be aware that all trains will be packed - even in First Class (as in not enough seats) so consider using your own car -r renting one if you're all spiffed up and don;t want to be packed in like sardines.

We actually did this quite a few years ago - and saw the Queen Mum in the enclosure(? - saddling area) since one of her horses was running.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 11:24 AM

You need to be very clear about where you're going to be.

In the stands, most men wear morning suit on the weekdays, though few bother on the Saturday unless they're in the Royal Enclosure (you won't be. They'd have boasted about it if they'd got tickets). Ordinary suits will be fine on the Saturday, and I'd say hiring a morning suit's unnecessary. Women wear proper dresses (whatever's the fashionable length this summer), though Britain doesn't share America's distate for trouser suits on formal occasions: the key thing is reasonable elegance, whether in a dress or trousers. Most women wear hats

If you're in the Silver Ring, there are no rules. Increasingly, most, though by no means all, women wear dresses and hats even on the Saturday. You should follow your hosts' lead.

Remember you're standing all afternoon. The recent tradition is for women to get very squiffy (it's a gross breach of etiquette to leave the course sober), find their ankles swelling and take their shoes off by 4 pm. This is seriously gross (though not quite as gross as the other new tradition of half the women of a certain age groping the entire male attendance on the way out). So get shoes that can handle the pressure

Getting out of the course at the end if you're driving takes a long time: allow 60-90 mins to the nearest bit of the M4. A lot quicker if you leave two races before the end. From there (M404, A404, M40, turn off at Warwick) 2 hrs on a Saturday to Coventry: 3 or more on a Friday night. Driving to Ascot from London to arrive round 1 pm takes up to 2 hrs. Most people leave a lot earlier to lunch either at the course or in a nearby hotel

Hotels round Ascot are traditionally booked solid. If you're driving to Coventry, you might consider staying somewhere like Oxford tjhe night before, since this gives you easier car access to Ascot.

Do not use the ATMs inside the course for betting money: the fees are outrageous. There are lots of free ATMs outside along Ascot High Street.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I will be going hat shopping. I kind of guessed what "pussy-pelmets" are, but "chavvy bints"??

I am sure we are not in the Royal Enclosure, but am looking forward to doing a bit of royalty watching!

One more question about driving: Is there public parking inside Ascot? Any tips?

P.S. Thanks for the tip about the ATM!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:25 AM

During Ascot last year we were having a late dinner at Langan's Brasserie, when in walked what looked like the cast of My Fair Lady, complete with ladies in some pretty spectacular hats. It took a few minutes to remember that Ascot was going on.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Car parking? Are you attempting to do Royal Ascot sober? Have you no regard for tradition?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

audere_est_facere - I read in one reply that trains will be packed and I may be better off driving. I guess we need to hire a car and a driver now. On the other hand, maybe someone can recommend a hotel in Ascot and perhaps by chance it will still have rooms available?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:58 AM

You'll be VERY lucky to get a hotel in Ascot. The trains are packed - but packed with good natured (ie pissed) people - it's part of the fun. It's only half an hour in any case, if that.

Loads of people go in coach parties. I can't believe that some company has ponied up for corporate tickets and hasn't addressed the getting to and fro issue.

How are your mates getting there?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:10 AM

For the ladies attire, definitely a dress. I won't consider trouser suits. Wrap-around dresses are good, esp since it doesn't wrinkle as much. Also colours are more pastel than black. Think of what you would wear to a day-time wedding.

As for the hats, it's usually light straw hats. The more elaborate (eg asymmetric look, feathers or something sticking out, outrageous shape/height), the better. I think it's better to go topless (ie bareheaded) than wear a frumpy or too casual hat.

To be honest, why don't you ask your hostess if you can borrow her hat. Note hat departments at many central London department store look rather depleted right before the race.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

audere_est_facere - I have no idea!! My husband just asked me if I wanted to go. I said, "Sure, why not?" He responded to the guys in the London office and that was that. I may be jumping ahead of myself by trying to plan everything. I hope we'll get more details as we get closer. Nevertheless, I'll just make sure I have a fabulous hat!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:25 AM

The madder the hat, the better. It's the same mad-hat arms race you get at British weddings.

You wouldn't want to be out gunned.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:31 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
OK, so if I'm reading this correctly, the Royal Ascot is an occasion for men to avoid being groped by barefoot drunk women in mini-skirts and straw hats. Sounds like spring break on MTV.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Nikki, no mini-skirts. Knee-length +/-2inches.

As for hats, try House of Fraser on Bond St or Harvey Knicks. They've got really cool designs. For more budget conscious, I found a presentable one at Debenhams. The only problem is, how do you plan to schlep back the hat box when flights departing UK allows only one carry-on?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

W9London - Maybe I'll wear it on the plane! No, we're thinking about driving.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
W9, I cheated and googled pussy-pelmets.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 10:15 AM

"chavvy bints in pussy-pelmets"

Fannytaztic