questions about Milan airport transfer

Dec 18th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

questions about Milan airport transfer

Don't know why I didn't think about this before....

We are arriving in Milan and then transferring to Alitalia to fly to Rome. Will we need to collect our bags, go thru customs and recheck them in Milan? Or will all that just wait until Rome?

I know when we head back to the US each summer, we have to collect our bags, do the customs thing, and recheck them at our first arrival stop - not our final destination.

As I think about it....most of our trips have involved either a direct flight, or our final destination is our first stop in a country. Haven't had this situation in quite some time.

Also, we will have several hours at the airport coming and going. Probably won't have access to any lounges on this trip - so how is the setup at the airport (MXP) - decent places to eat, rest, shop, hangout??? I will probably sit and read a book, but teenage sons will be restless!!!!
Dec 18th, 2007, 06:56 PM

Hi Grcxx3, here is the website for Malpensa..or will you be arriving and departing from Linate?

http://www.sea-aeroportimilano.it/en...sa/index.phtml
Dec 18th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks LoveItaly - We will be at Malpensa and it looks like plenty to keep us occupied and fortified during our layover.

Didn't see anything about luggage/customs? Did I just miss it?

Oh - did you find your Gordon book????
Dec 18th, 2007, 08:35 PM

The book of all of the Scottish Clans? No Grcxx3 I haven't. And keep in mind my place is not that big and all of my books are in one place. And I have thought and thought..did I loan it someone? It breaks my heart but not the worse problem one could have in the world is it.

BTW, regarding your flight. Do you have one ticket..is Alitalia a partner with the airline you are flying with into Malpensa?

When I fly from San Francisco to Venice for example on KLM..I have a stop over in Amsterdam. I never see my checkin luggage in Amsterdam. I retrieve it in Venice.
The same flying home. I check in my checkin luggage in Venice, never see it in Amsterdam, and retrieve it in San Francisco. All KLM flights.

But when I have flown from San Francisco via JFK to Malpensa and back I have had to collect my check in luggage at JFK..first arrival spot in the US.. and recheck it on to San Francisco.
Dec 18th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

no partner airline....which makes me a little nervous.

We've got plenty of time, so it isn't a problem if we need to collect baggage and recheck.....just a hassle.

As my fuzzy brain is remembering, we had to do it in J'burg when we changed from the international to the domestic terminal. Same in New Zealand. But I don't think we have to change terminals in Milan.
Dec 18th, 2007, 09:42 PM

Hi Grcxx, I just clicked on the website. If you will do that and click on Flights..you will see that International Flights arrive at Malpensa at Terminal 1. And regarding Departures..Alitalia to Rome departs Malpensa at Terminal 1. So you will not have to change from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2. Have a good, safe and comfortable trip and a wonderful time in Italy!
Dec 18th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks LoveItaly. We're looking forward to the trip. Just hope the weather/high tides cooperate!!!