Reload this Page >

Questions about Hungary travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 09:04 PM
Steve Robertson

Just a few questions about our impending trip to Hungary: <BR> <BR>* We will be there from 1-8 October, in Budapest and in the north central region around Eger and Tokaj. What sort of weather can we expect? How cold does it get then? <BR> <BR>* We intend to rent a car on the outskirts of town the day we leave Budapest (trying to avoid driving in the city) and drive around. How easy are the road signs to figure out, especially on smaller roads off the expressway? Is there much of a problem with vandals or thieves breaking into the car while it is parked overnight? Is there any problem with using a car in Hungary? <BR> <BR>* Aside from the Senator Hotel in Eger, are there other good ideas for accom? B&Bs or farmstays? Small pensions (we are not fans of big US-style hotels, plus as Australians with a devastated currency, we can't afford them) are ideal. Suggestions? <BR> <BR>* Aside from English, I speak fair German. How will we be for communicating in rural Hungary? <BR> <BR>* Any other tips for Hungarian travel? Many thanks!

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 09:33 PM
Art

Hi Steve, try to answer some of your questions. <BR>I was in Budapest the end of Sept 2 years ago and the weather was great. Of course it can vary from year to year. October is definitely getting into fall so I assume you would want jackets. <BR>You could drive in Budapest, but I would not recommend it as the transportation there is great. There is also limited parking. The main roads were in good shape. <BR>Have you made advance reservations for a car. They are quite expensive if you rent them there. <BR>I found that a lot of older Hungarians speak German. You will even find shop signs in Hungarian and German but not in English outside of Budapest (at least 2 years ago.) <BR>I can't speak to B8B's, but you should be able to find inexpensive lodgings outside of Budapest. I saw quite a number of rooms for rent by Lake Balaton. <BR>I wish you a great trip. Budapest is one of my favorite cities. <BR>Regards, <BR>Art <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 09:42 PM
Sherry

I was in Budapest last week. Traffic seemed to be a little congested. Also I believe that you can't make any left turns right in downtown Budapest, thus, 3 rights = a left. And I don't know about the country, but in Budapest parked cars might be a temptation. Our bus driver wouldn't even let us leave anything inside the bus, he said it would make it tempting for someone to break in. (that with him standing beside it.) <BR> <BR>But other than that, Budapest is beautiful and a lot more affordable than other countries nearby.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 11:22 PM
To the top

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 11:55 PM
meira

Budapest is beautiful. Beware - the weather might be chilly and rainy. You need a coat. Jacket is not enough. <BR>It is raining there already every day. <BR>Enjoy! <BR>English & German will be enough to get by anywhere.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Joe

Steve: driving in Hungary is easy, even in Budapest (although, we pretty much parked the car when we arrived and didn't drive it again until we left for Sentendre). The Senator is more like a little Inn than an American style Hotel; very charming. In Tokaj, the little Pension, Makk Marci Panzio was fun. Over a restaurant, on a corner (try to get the corner room), center of town. Be sure to take in the wine tasting opportunity at the main plaza; down into the cellers, personal hostess, comprhensive information and excellent wines (more than just dessert wines). Offered in several languages. German spoken everywhere. We could have gotten by in English. Fortunately, I have a little chidhood Hungarian.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 01:05 PM
eva

You'll definitely need a jacket and an umbrella,evenings could be very chilly.But last Oct. was fantastic.Do not drive in Bp.,public transport in the city center is good.Buy a good map,the roads are clearly signed.Be careful if you leave Bp. on weekend,because the main road leading to Eger is closed-it passes a park closed to the traffic on Sat/Sun-and you have to take a detour.from Bp to Eger visit Hollókő, a nice little village,and from Eger go to Aggtelek/ Jósvafő which is a stalactit cave,both are world heritage.Very good small hotel and restaurnt in Jósvafő next to the entrance of the cave is Tengerszem. <BR>Safety in the province is not bad,just do not leave valuable things where they are seen.( As a guide I have 2-3 ss tours a week in Bp.and my guests leave everything in the bus except passport,money...Never any problem.May be Sherry's driver had bad experience,being accused .. <BR>People under 35 speak English,over 70 speak German,in between were studying Russian,so most of them do not speak any languange,but in the province they are usually helpful <BR>Egds <BR>Eva

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Joe

Steve: Eva's suggestion (she is a professional tour guide, knows her stuff and offers information on Hungary freely to this board)to go to Holloko (pronounced Holloku) is a good one. Some Castle ruins, but very colorful village with lots of crafts-people working. While in Tokaj, you might consider a day trip to Sarospatak; a really neat castle and quaint town.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 08:57 PM
Steve Robertson

Many thanks to all who've shared their knowledge of Hungary so far. Just two more questions: <BR> <BR>In which currency should our travellers checks be? We are in Australia and can get $US or (I think) DMarks here. If there are Cirrus ATMs, I might use those, instead. <BR> <BR>Also, we really do want to see Eger, Tokaj, Holloko and the other towns mentioned, but I've just learned that car rental prices are virtually prohibitive for Australians (EuropeCar quoted a 4 day rate of nearly $A800, or $US420) for a very small car. Is there any alternative way to get to a few of these spots? Buses, trains, or a tour? We very much want to spend nights in these towns so I can get good photos in early and late light. Editors generally don't want middle of the day photos, so most of my best and most popular images have come from early shoots. Thanks again....

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Rod

Travellers checks -- not recommended, as ATMs are "everywhere" and give better rates. Besides, you would pay a fee converting from your currency, and another fee when cashing the checks or returning unused amounts. Cirrus is fairly widespread, though I don't think any network is universal. Credit cards are also useful, though not everywhere. <BR> <BR>Rental cars -- you might try locating a "local" company. A couple of years ago we rented from Americana in Budapest at a price perhaps half (or less) that quoted by Avis and Hertz, and Americana was not necessarily the cheapest.