Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Questions about England itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/questions-about-england-itinerary-150371/)

Beth Jan 29th, 2002 06:02 AM

Questions about England itinerary

I am tenatively planning an 8 or 9 day trip to England for this June. About half of the time will be spent in London, and I really would like to see York. Is it good to stay 3 or 4 days in York, or in a town in the Moors (like Whitby)? We probably will not rent a car, but will train around. I also would be interested in taking a day trip to see Hadrian's Wall -- is this doable from York or another village? Any recommendations for the schedule or B&B's would be appreciated.

elaine Jan 29th, 2002 06:06 AM

Hi<BR>I can't really help you with your questions, but I thought this website might be helpful if you don't already know it<BR>http://www.hadrians-wall.org/

Shain Jan 29th, 2002 06:16 AM

Hi Beth,<BR>first, what about Stonehenge or the wonderful romanian thermal spas in Bath.<BR>just as a contrast programm with a more relaXING EFFEECT AFTER you have managed London with its bustle and hustle.<BR>Shain/EU/germany/d&uuml;sseldorf

John Jan 29th, 2002 06:21 AM

Rent a car and do a "loop" trip. West to Bath via Stonehenge and Salisbury. Stay 1 day in Bath. Then up to Lake District and over to York going by Hadirans Wall. 1 day in York is enought to see the wall, Cathedral, etc. If time allows, Cambridge or Oxford are scenic, University towns.

Beth Jan 29th, 2002 07:09 AM

These suggestions give me something to think about. My husband and I both were in England in high school and have seen Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral, so we would not be as interested in that. I like the idea of a "loop" trip, however -- although my husband is reluctant to drive in England. Keep the ideas coming!

ron Jan 29th, 2002 08:19 AM

Beth, I kind of like your original idea of basing yourself in York for three or four days better than the idea of racing around the country as if it was some sort of scavenger hunt. I have been to York twice for a total of five days and I had no trouble finding things to see or do right in the city for that period. Doing Hadrian's Wall as day excursion from York should be possible, but it would be a long day. Its about two hours by train to Hexham, where you could pick up the Hadrian Wall bus which stops at a number of sights along the wall. I would suggest Housesteads as first stop, from which you could do out and back walks along the wall or walk to Steel Rigg.

janis Jan 29th, 2002 09:01 AM

Beth - first of all it looks like you only have about 4 days for your excursion (the getaway day is pretty much shot packing and getting to the airport so don't count it as a "day"). So the suggestions of a loop through Salisbury, Stonehenge, Bath, York etc is really unworkable.<BR><BR>Yorkshire is fabulous and you can certainly use York as a base for the 4 days. You do not need a car IN York - but for your other sightseeing a car will REALLY be of help. driving in the countryside is not a problem and doing what you want by public transport would be pretty inconvenient. I would take the train to York and spend the first day there. Then pick up a rental car and do a loop. Drive up to Hadrian's Wall and stay in Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge or Hexham. Then drive south to Whitby / Robin Hoods Bay. On your way back to York you can visit the Moors, Thirsk, or Castle Howard. Then travel from York back to London. You could either drop off you car in York and take the train or drive all the way and drop it off at LHR.<BR><BR>You are trying to squeeze in a awful lot in a short time - but it is doable. If you can bear omitting the Roman Wall you could probably manage w/o a car - but driving will give a LOT more flexibility.

kitty Jan 30th, 2002 05:13 AM

We were in York last summer for two nights and spent 1 1/2 days touring the city of York which was plenty of time. We did not, however, go out and explore the countryside. There did seem to be a lot to do. In the B&B we stayed at some retired visitors come every year to York and just enjoy driving to small villages, finding a pub, talking with the locals, and wandering around. <BR><BR>As I've stated several times on this board, I can't recommend the Four Seasons Hotel enough. We had a wonderful time in a lovely B&B which is about a 7 minute flat walk to York Minster. Lovely neighborhood across the street from a boarding school. The actual B&B used to be the headmaster's house. The owners of the B&B were so friendly and truly nice. The B&B was very lovely, clean and quiet. As I stated above, this retired couple staying as guests were at the Four Seasons for their 4th time because they loved it so much. Breakfast was wonderful and there is parking on site if you have a car (we didn't). <BR><BR>Sites we saw in York were the Minster, Jorvik Viking Center (don't bother, though our kids liked it), National Railway Museum (very interesting even for adults), Castle Museum (very interesting also), walking the streets, walking the city walls, and going through this lovely park on the way back to the B&B which had some abbey ruins.<BR><BR>I'd like to go back to York and see the countryside sometime. Maybe next time.....<BR><BR>

topper Jan 30th, 2002 10:48 AM

ttt

carolyn Jan 30th, 2002 12:31 PM

Don't forget to have tea at Betty's in York. It is a couple of blocks from the Minster. Also, the best photo op for the Minster is from the window on the (I believe) 6th floor of Marks & Spencer.

kam Jan 30th, 2002 01:02 PM

You can easily reach York from London via train. I would spend at least one full day in York. We stayed at the Grange Hotel in York, but wouldn't recommend it because the rooms are very tiny and it's very overpriced. Then on to Durham for another incredible cathedral and up to Hexham/Haltwhistle to see Hadrian's Wall (which I don't think is any real big deal, but husband who is history major loved it). Swallow George Hotel, Chollerford, is convenient for the wall. The highlight of the trip for me was a 3 day stay at the Burgoyne Hotel in Reeth in the Yorkshire Dales, but you definitely need a car to see the Dales and the little towns. You could do all of this by train and bus---there is a public bus that goes along the length of the wall, stopping at the various places of interest.