Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Questions about Customs - Naples or Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/questions-about-customs-naples-or-rome-1111376/)

4lions Jun 6th, 2016 10:29 AM

Questions about Customs - Naples or Rome?

DH and I have a flight from LAX to Naples in September (arrives around 3:30pm). We have a connection in Rome for 1 hour & 20 minutes for change of plane. Will we go through customs in Rome and have to retrieve our luggage and recheck? Or will we go through customs when we arrive in Naples with the baggage being transferred without having to retrieve it?

I know it's difficult to answer, but on average, does anyone have any idea how long it takes to get through customs? We have a 2 hour window from landing in Naples until the BuonoTourist bus leaves the airport for Salerno. Does that sound like enough time?

Thanks for your help!

HappyTrvlr Jun 6th, 2016 10:35 AM

You will go through passport control in Rome. You will most likely just walk through the "Non-EU, nothing to declare for customs"

indyhiker Jun 6th, 2016 10:47 AM

Your connection in Rome may be tight. It really depends on how many other international flights arrive at the same time and whether there's any delay in getting your checked luggage. This past month, we sailed through Rome upon arrival. A year prior (same arrival time and nearly the exact day), it took about 90 minutes to clear passport control and get our bags. Passport control was sheer chaos and then there was a long delay in getting luggage onloaded.

My advice would be to use carry on luggage only and then hope for the best.

nochblad Jun 6th, 2016 11:04 AM

Naples end no problem. Rome yes. I recently asked about transfer time going from international to domestic in O'Hare and it was clear that 1.20 was not possible. I would not think it would be possible in Rome. In Zurich it would be a breeze but if you insist on such a connection in Rome have a plan B.

A more sensible solution may be to get off at Rome travel to Roma Termini and get the fast train (TAV) direct to Salerno.

bvlenci Jun 6th, 2016 11:31 AM

It's only in the US that you have to go through customs at the first airport on national soil. In most of Europe, you go through customs at your final destination, and your luggage will be checked through.

In Rome, there will probably be a security check for transit passengers as soon as you get off the plane, following the signs for transit passengers. After the security check, begin following the signs for your departure boarding area (which will be the letter preceding your departure gate number, probably Bxx). You'll have to go through immigration, but you'll stay behind security the whole way.

If your plane is on time, you'll have plenty of time to make the connection. In my experience, they pad the time for flights from the US, or else I always find favorable tail winds. I usually arrive well ahead of the scheduled arrival time.

You'll go through customs in Naples, after picking up your baggage. There are no customs forms, and you just walk through the "Nothing to declare" door, unless you do have something to declare, or unless they pull you over for a random baggage check. It usually takes no time at all.

bvlenci Jun 6th, 2016 11:39 AM

<i> My advice would be to use carry on luggage only and then hope for the best. </i>

The time it takes to make a connection to a domestic flight in Rome has nothing to do with whether you have checked luggage.

<i> I would not think it would be possible in Rome. </i>

I often transfer through Rome and sometimes have had connections of 50 minutes. I've never missed the connection. That's not to say it couldn't happen.

If the worst happens, there are several other bus companies with connections from Naples airport to Salerno.

4lions Jun 6th, 2016 12:05 PM

Thanks everyone. bvlenci, very helpful.

ekc Jun 6th, 2016 01:38 PM

You can also catch a bus or cab from NAP to Napoli Centrale, then the 30-minute train to Salerno, which runs every 30 minutes.

annhig Jun 6th, 2016 02:14 PM

are you on a through ticket from LAX to Naples?

if so, what bvl says is correct - you transfer whilst your luggage [hopefully] gets transferred for you and you collect it for the first time at Naples.

However if you are ticketed from LAX to Rome and then have budget airline tickets from Rome to Naples, you will have to collect your luggage and go through customs before you can do the whole lot again to fly to Naples.

4lions Jun 6th, 2016 02:45 PM

Thanks ekc & annhig. It is a through ticket, so looks like we will go through customs in Naples. Much appreciated.

annhig Jun 6th, 2016 02:53 PM

good luck 4lions, I hope it all goes well and you catch the second plane with no problems.

indyhiker Jun 6th, 2016 03:43 PM

Help me better understand this. If I travel to Naoles via Rome from the United States, you don't have to claim your bags and then go through security again like you would if you had a similar scenario flying back to the States? Sorry, my response was wrong, but I assumed you'd have to go through a similar process as when your return to the States and have a connecting flight.

nytraveler Jun 6th, 2016 05:14 PM

Your problem is not customs - your luggage should be checked through to Naples. Your problem may be Immigrations which you must go through in Rome - since Rome to Naples is a domestic flight.

I have gone through Immigration in Rome in 15 minutes or so and had it take as much as 45 minutes - depending on how many planes from where land at the same time.

IMHO your time is too short - but assuming this is all one ticket they have to get you to Naples (but I would know the time of the next flight so you can demand to be on it).