Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Questions about Combination Tickets for Tower of London / Hampton Court ...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:32 AM
CrazzyCat

I have read on previous posts that there are combination tickets for some places in London (especially the Tower of London & Hampton Ct.) Where do you go to purchase these tickets in London & where on the internet can I look at what is available before we arrive in London?

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi! There is a great website for the Historic Royal Palaces where you can learn about all the palaces, etc. that are available for tours in London. I believe the website is www.hrp.co.uk. There is fairly detailed information on the site for purchasing tickets, but I'm not sure if you can purchase the joint tickets online. We plan on buying the Tower of London/ Kensington Palace combination tickets. I believe tickets can be purchased at most tube and train stations, and we plan to purchase ours at Victoria Station. Good luck- hope this helps!
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 03:19 PM

We purchased the joint ticket when we bought tickets at the Tower. The set that we were given for Hampton Court were good for up to 30 days I believe.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 03:25 PM

Hi- Erin- that link would not work-<BR>is it right? Thanks!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:52 AM

The site is www.hrp.org.uk
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:22 AM

We just returned from a week in London over Christmas. We used the combination ticket for the Tower and Hampton Court. We ordered our tickets by phone (email is also fine) and received them in the mail in approx. 1 week. The Tower ticket was for a specific date (which was no problem since we knew what day we planned to go), the second was good for up to 30 days which offered flexibility. Because we had tickets in advance we avoided standing in line to buy them. And we were able to pay in advance which spread our costs for the trip over several months. It also saved time in London to do fun stuff -- I bought tickets for theater (great seats, no hassles), attractions and trains (side trip to Bath) in advance which saved loads of time. This doesn't work for everyone, but it gave me peace of mind and still left time open for surprises.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 10:43 AM

We were in London last May and bought our combination tickets at the Tower of London ticket office for the Tower and Hampton Court. We arrived about 20 minutes before the Tower opened and there were only a few people in line. We visted Hampton Court a couple of days later.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 02:21 PM

On the hrp.org.uk website (great site by the way, thanks for posting it!) it says that there is a combination ticket for Kensington Palace, Tower of London, and Hampton Court. The website says it can only be purchased at the ticket office. I'm assuming that means the ticket office of each site? Has anyone bought this before? How much did it cost? <BR><BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 10:50 AM

nycjenny, the combination ticket is what we are discussing. You can buy a combination ticket for any or all of the palaces you mentioned (plus Kew, also, if I remember correctly) and the price depends on how many palaces you visit. We visited the Tower and Hampton Court and paid, I believe, 19 GBP, which saved us a couple of pounds per person.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 07:02 PM

I should have clarified that I meant the three location combo ticket. I knew everyone was talking about the combination ticket, but everyone has only ever mentioned buying the two location one. I've found the price for the two site combination, but not the price if you go for three. Even on the hrp website you can see the price for each location and the price for two locations combined, but they don't list the price for three.<BR><BR>I'm an obsessive budgeter (sp?) before I go on a trip...must investigate all options to determine cheapest course of action. Drives my husband nuts. probably driving you nuts too by now!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 07:14 PM

nycjenny- I'm a fanatic about planning my vacations, and I try to save money anywhere I can beforehand. The way I see it, I will have more money to spend in the shops when I get there!! Another $ saving tip- if you visit www.visitbritain.com they have a 1-800 number you can call to request visitor information. They ask that you call for info no sooner than the month before your travels. In about 10 days I received some brochures and a calendar of events that had some coupons in it. Might be worth a call?<BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 07:25 PM

<BR>Just a thought, you didn't mention if you will be going outside London but there is the Great British Heritage Pass which covers those three sites in London plus a few more. It is not that economical for just London but for example, we will be visiting Stratford, Warwick Castle and the Cotswolds and it works out much, much cheaper. All info on the sites that are covered and the cost is availabe on www.visitbritain.com.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 07:29 PM

Hey CrazyCat,<BR>Meant to mention that there are absolutely hundreds of other sites around Britain included in the pass.