Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Questions about booking tickets to Scrovegni Chapel, Padua.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We’re ready to book on-line tickets to the Scrovegni chapel and Padua passes and have a question or two about the process. I know I read somewhere about how to book a second 15 minute viewing session that would allow you to stay for a double length of time, but I can’t locate that thread. Does anyone know how to do this?
Do we just book two transactions?
1. book the pass and one viewing session;
2. a separate transaction to book the following immediate time slot.

Also what time slots would be least busy?
Thanks.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there are no busy timeslots because the same number of people are

allowed in for each visit/

ie 20 people per 15 minutes time slot/

i wouldn't do a double booking/

people come from all over the world to see the giottos/

my husband and i were just there on june 5/

the performance artist known as razr//
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Pepper
So perhaps you are saying all time slots max out? If so, then we’ll just select one time slot and go with it. Right now all time slots appear open for the day we want (end of August).

I am serious about art and could undoubtedly spend hours in this chapel gazing at and studying Giotto’s work, but if it’s not the right thing to do, if the chapel fills to capacity all day, then of course I won’t.

Thank you for your response.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 07:38 AM

You can have as many time slots as are available. You have to pay for each entrance ticket. I believe the point above is that since only 20 people can go into the chapel at a time there is not likely to be any non busy times. Keep in mind that there is a wait period before entering the chapel so you can't schedule a ticket at 10:00 and at 10:20 since you won't have time to exit and go through the sanitation chamber before the next time slot.

I think I read that the back to back time slots are at night.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 08:50 AM

all time slots are not maxed out/

but when we were there during the day/

our time was 2:30/

just a few empty spots/

but scrovegni chapel is not a cattlecar/

you aren't going to be herded in there/

there is plenty of room/

these viewers are civilised afterall/

it isn't like going into a mosh pit with crack addicts/

it certainly isn't the horror of the sistine chapel/

which is nothing but a circus sideshow/

where are you coming from/

venice maybe/

razr//
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

We wanted additional time in the chapel, but to be considerate to others we wanted to find “the least likely to fill” time slots. I thought there might be such a time period familiar to some of you.

Adrienne, I found the thread that mentioned the back to back evening visits, but it didn’t say how to book them that way. Beginning in August the time slots appear to be 15 minutes with 25 people to a slot. Fifteen minutes seems like such a short time to view a group of works.

But it’s not a big issue. I read on the Scrovegni chapel website that there is an email address for questions. I’ll pose this question to them.

Pepper, We’re staying in Padua for two nights, so we have all day and evening to book our chapel visit.

“a mosh pit” and Scrovegni chapel in the same paragraph—hard to imagine.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 10:07 AM

15 minutes is not nearly enough time. It's fabulous!

I didn't see anything on the web site about booking double tickets. Let us know what you find so there's updated info on this. Thanks!
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 10:29 AM

We were there at the end of September last year, so this may not apply in August, but:

1. there were spaces available without pre-booking between 12:45 and 2:00, roughly the lunch hour.
2. I agree with Adrienne that you could not book two sequential visits because of the time in the air lock. You might do, for example, 12 and 1240, but you couldn't do 12 and 1220.
3. ordinarily I am not a big one for museum films, but the one to which they direct you on arrival is excellent and, together with the video you watch in the airlock, makes you extremely well-prepared to view the art itself. I could probably go back every day for a week, but I found all I could absorb in my twenty minute visit.
4. if you have any credentials as a scholar, art or medieval history and culture, I would write ahead and see what special arrangements might be made. English at the ticket desk was minimal, so I would not depend on making any arrangements on site.
5. The attached museum has a lot of (mostly) bad painting and a lot of wonderful artifacts.

People often ask here, "Is so and so worth it?" This is.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 11:52 AM

no 15 minutes is not enough time/

but another 15 minutes is not going to be enough time/

either/

mr nantucket is correct in that you would have to visit every day/

for months to experience the nuances of giotto/

ps/

the citizens of padova aren't big on speaking english/

razr//
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

I’m in the midst of an email to the chapel to find out what the options are for more viewing time. I’ll let everyone know soon.

Adrienne, Ackislander,Pepper, Thanks for your recent notes.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

FYI: Apparently my "soon" mentioned above will be August 6. Kathy

Subject: AutoReply - Out of Office

² It will be out of the office until August 6.
² will respond to your email upon my return.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 03:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Our hotel booked a back to back visit for us in the evening. It was fabulous. during the time when the one group exits and before the next group comes in u r there all by yourself. It's well worth booking the back to back. r you staying at a hotel? If so,perhaps they could handle it with you.

We had no difficulty with the language during our stay in Padua. it's a lovely town to visit.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

I’ve received a reply email from the staff at the Scrovegni Chapel earlier than expected! They explain the booking options for additional time in the chapel in a very straight forward way. Since I can’t say it any better, I’ll just relay the complete email. The double booking seems pretty straight forward.

“As you read if you purchase a Padova Card, adding 1,00euro you would be
entitled to stay only for 15 minutes inside the chapel.
The way to stay in longer would be by making a second reservation for the
consecutive time slot:

11:00am :1 Padova Card (16,00euros) + 1 ticket "Padova Card and Chapel"
(1,00euro)
11.15am: 1 regular ticket (13,00euros during day-time or 8euros in the
evening from 19.00).

Actually if you make your reservation for an evening time, let's say 19.00
and 19.20, your visit would last longer since from 19.00 visits last 20
minutes instead of 15. Furthermore the regular ticket you should purchase
for the second reservation would cost less, due to the fact that the
Eremitani Museum (which is included in the 13,00euro ticket 9.00 - 18.45)
will be closed after 19.00. Having a Padova Card you would be entitled to
visit the Eremitani before its closing anyway.

In case you don't intend to buy the Padova Card, the procedure is the same:
you only need to make reservation for consecutive time slots (e.g. 11.00 1
regular ticket, 11.15 1 regular ticket).
In the evening you can also choose the Double-Turn option: you can stay in
for 40 minutes at the price of 12,00euros.”

Now we just have to decide on the time(s)! We're tempted to do 2 evening time slots for the longer visits (20 vs 15). We'll visit the Eremitani museum first, before it closes, then the chapel.

And thanks, yestravel for your information on the double-turn visit booked for you by your hotel. But, I believe I’ll just take care of it myself. It seems easy enough now.

Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 09:46 AM

I've been following Kathleen's question so before I start a new thread I hope to find an answer here about a question regarding the Padova card and the Scrovegni Chapel.

If I reserve our time for the Scrovegni Chapel when I buy the Padova card online, do I have to pick up the card at the Scrovegni or can I pick it up at another site earlier in the day? We are driving from Verona for the day and we will want to use the Padova card for museum entrances before our scheduled time at the Scrovegni.

Thanks, Deborah
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 10:48 AM

I got my Padova Card at the tourist office (near the Palazzo della Ragione) the day before my Scrovegni reservation. You probably can pick it up at other sites too, not sure.
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 11:20 AM

colonna, thank you. One more question, did you purchase your Padova card online through the Scrovegni Chapel site when you reserved your Scrovegni time? That is what I am hoping to do. Thanks again, Deborah
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi DeborahAnn,
We booked our Padua Card through the Scrovegni Chapel site when we reserved our time.

Here's a copy of a portion of the reservation that pertains specifically to your question.

We kindly suggest you should print this coupon and bring it to the ticket office, otherwise you won't be given the tickets purchased.
We wish to remind you that the tickets for the Scrovegni Chapel can be collected only at the ticket office of the Eremitani Museum (Eremitani Square - Padova). If you reserved the tickets for the Scrovegni Chapel AND a Padova Card, you may collect both at the ticket office of the Eremitani Museum. For your better convenience, Padova Cards ONLY may also be picked up at any of the following IAT offices:

Padova - Stazione FS: phone 049 8752077 open: Mon-Sat 09,15am-7,00pm; Sunday 09,00am-12,00am
Padova - Galleria Pedrocchi: phone 049 8767927 open: Mon-Sat 09,00am-1,30pm / 3,00pm-7,00pm
Abano Terme - Via P.d'Abano, 18: phone 049 8669055 open: Mon-Sat 08,30-1,00pm / 2,30pm-7,00pm; Sunday (high season only) 10,00am-12,00am / 3,00pm-6,00pm
Montegrotto Terme - Viale Stazione, 60: phone 049 8928311; open: Mon-Sat 08,30am-1,00pm / 2,30pm-7,00pm; 2nd Sunday (high season only) 10,00am-1,00pm / 3,00pm-6,00pm
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 12:14 PM

we had no problem booking in mid-june of this year.

if you are going to book twice, do some neck warm-ups before you go... my neck was fatigued about 5 minutes in. (i have heard that some tourists bring mirrors but can't imagine that they let big pieces of glass through all the tight security!??)