Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Question Whether To Stay in Marais or St Germain (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/question-whether-to-stay-in-marais-or-st-germain-687851/)

sccouple Mar 14th, 2007 12:45 PM

Question Whether To Stay in Marais or St Germain

Hi:
We are two friends (girls) who will be traveling to Paris at the end of April for a week. We are looking at renting an apartment and have a few choices. The problem we are having is making the decision where to stay; either in Marais area or St Germain.

I am married and my friend is single and we are in our early 40's so night life is kind of important, retaurants, safety, easy access to walk alone, stores, shops etc.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

walkinaround Mar 14th, 2007 12:49 PM

i vote for marais...but i am partial as i stay near there whilst working in paris. it's an easy walk to many areas and is a lively area with a lot of places to go for people in your age range. you really can't go wrong with this area.

Nikki Mar 14th, 2007 01:54 PM

Either area would be a great choice. I would decide based on the specific apartment amenities, prices, and locations.

Margo_Chester Mar 14th, 2007 02:20 PM

Both would be fine, but I vote for marais...but I am partial too!

ira Mar 14th, 2007 02:40 PM

Hi SC,

>...we are in our early 40's ...<

If you want to be a bit venturesome, the 4th.

If you want to be more in your comfort zone, the 6th.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

waldrons Mar 14th, 2007 02:43 PM

I love the Marais and on my last visit, stayed there on my own. I was completely comfortable walking around late at night by myself, going to restaurants, etc.

There are plenty of people around until late, lots of shops, restaurants and cafes, and it's pretty convenient to public transit.

Susan

taniaroth Mar 14th, 2007 02:46 PM

St. Germain nice. but stayed in Marais.
sooocomfortable http://www.vrbo.com/75429
an aprtment. easy to get to everythingincluding st. germain

Weadles Mar 14th, 2007 03:21 PM

Another vote for the Marais. I think it's much more lively at night.

annieladd Mar 14th, 2007 03:27 PM

bookmarking. That vrbo apt. looks great!

namaka Mar 14th, 2007 06:07 PM

sccouple, I am also going on a girls trip to Paris in aug. Last year when I went with the family, we stayed in the St. Germain area, but this time we are staying in the Marais. Here's the apt we are renting. What I really like is that the bed separates into two twin beds and we have a/c.

www.bienvenueaParis

we are staying at the 3 bourg-tibourg apt.

namaka Mar 14th, 2007 06:09 PM

let me try that link again-

http://bienvenueaparis.com/apt-bourg.htm

fishee Mar 14th, 2007 07:00 PM

I also found that apartments (and everything else -- coffee, cheese, wine, drinks from the grocery store) were more expensive in the 6th.

www.parisbestlodge.com
www.vrbo.com

ekscrunchy Mar 15th, 2007 06:34 AM

The Marais is the more interesting area as far as sights and architecture. There is nothing edgy or remotely uncomfortable about either area....much of the 6th is kind of glitzy with lots of designer shops, etc. (There are exceptions to this so I am speaking in generalities). I would probably give the edge to the 6th/7th for shopping (although it is not shabby in the Marais by any means!) but for all else the Marais would be my choice.

merrittm Mar 15th, 2007 10:17 AM

Namaka - I will be staying in that apt., too, though I'm there early June. Can't wait & I vote Marais. I got turned around there while walking at night, felt perfectly safe, ended up making friends to whom I still correspond and had a good laugh to boot! You'll enjoy the Marais.

namaka Mar 15th, 2007 04:36 PM

merrittm, please be sure to post a trip report about the area and the apt. Your trip is coming up pretty fast, mine seems like soooo far away.

lyban Mar 15th, 2007 07:54 PM

Namaka & Merritim,
My daughter just got back from Paris and stayed at the 3 Bourg Tibourg apt. She loved the apt and the surrounding area. Said the location was great. One small thing is she mentioned there were no condiments in apartment like salt,pepper etc etc. Just in case you plan on eating in, it would be cheaper to bring a few packets with you .

merrittm Mar 16th, 2007 08:31 AM

lyban -thanks so much for the info. Namaka, will do with the trip report.

leather1026 Mar 18th, 2007 01:37 AM

The Marais is a great area, lots of night life.

Cestlavie Mar 18th, 2007 06:49 AM

I am a woman in her mid-40s too and typically travel to Paris alone. I've stayed in the St-Germain area 3 times and the Marais once. The last time in the St-Germain wasn't near as interesting as before because I had stayed at the Marais. This time I am staying in the Marais. It just seems more interesting, more fresh.

Of course, nothing beats having a glass of wine on the St-Germain Blvd around 5:30 or 6 watching the fashionable matrons going places.

Tamara

kerouac Mar 18th, 2007 08:15 AM

The Marais is somewhat more authentic than Saint Germain des Prés.

This said, Parisians consider neither of these areas to be authentic for the most part, but of course tourists are not looking for 'authentic' -- they are looking for the Paris seen in the movies.