Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rental car in Spain - get basic or inclusive insurance?

Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on renting a car while I am in Northern Spain in a few weeks and driving around the Pyrenees region. Looking at reservations on autoeurope.com, I'm not sure if I should purchase the basic insurance or inclusive insurance. What have people typically done? Do you think the basic insurance is sufficient?

One other question - will there be any additional fees or problems if we plan on driving into Southern France for a few days with a car we've picked up in Barcelona?

Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 04:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I usually always get the inclusive insurance and I know there are many folks who will tell you to decline it and use the insurance coverage offered by your credit card.

Be aware that the "inclusive" insurance usually means you still have to pay a deductible if something occurs. However you can also buy (usually at the rental counter) so-called "super CDW" for an additional amount which reduces that deductible (often up to 1000 Euro) to zero. Be also aware that some insurance plans STILL do not include damage to tires and window glass so be careful as to what the policy does and does not cover.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 04:50 AM

We are making a similar trip, starting May 18th, picking up in Barcelona. We always purchase full coverage, even knowing that often one's credit card has some types of coverage. I find it confusing to try to understand the coverages and exclusions, and I think the peace-of-mind is worth it, to pay for the coverages.

A friend who lives in Germany, suggested I get a quote from his local travel agent in Germany. I did, and saved a good bit of $. In the past, however, we've always used autoeurope, and have been well served by them.
EK
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 06:50 AM

I always get the basic package if it is available. My credit card covers the CDW without deduction. The one time I had damage to the car, I was fully reimbursed by my credit card. The one potential problem is that the original estimate of the repair costs will be charged to the credit card. The cost differential between basic and inclusive coverage can be significant, especially if one has to add a super CDW coverage to eliminate the deductible.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 06:54 AM
ira

Hi CT,

Check with your CC company.

If they will cover you in Spain, you want to use them - no cost zero deductible.

You must decline the CDW from the rental agency.

Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 07:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Make certain your CC insurance acts as PRIMARY (they usually do overseas) instead of secondary to your own auto policy.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 08:05 AM

I am in the same boat, my credit card Capital One, MAster Card acts like secondary, which cards act like primary...does anyone knows.>? Frankly I thought all credit cards act like secondary.My car insurance is State Farm. Shall I be ok with the secondary that offers my credit card,...thank you
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 10:48 AM

If you're an American, your credit card coverage will depend on the type of card you use. The premium cards have better coverage and American Express offers additional insurance coverage at price ($24.95/rental period up to 31 days) for it's card holders. The Amex Platinum Card covers you completely at no additional cost.

All but the Amex Platinum have a deductible, usually in excess of 500€.

You have to decline the CDW to receive the credit card's primary coverage.

Dukey1 & Graziella5b, your American car insurance will not cover your rental car outside of the US and Canada.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 10:57 AM

Ditto on call the car insurance company, but you may need to take a copy of the credit card company's insurance coverage to show the rental place. Our CC company emailed it to us & we had to email it on.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 11:04 AM

As far as car insurance coverage you should get three pieces of data to be able to get any desicion: 1) what is the rate and coverage from the rental car company, 2) what is the coverage you may already have on the credit card you will be using, 3) what is the coverage you can get by buying travel insurance (i.e. Acess America, etc...). As an example, for Spain I get the basic beause btwn the coverage I already get from my CC and the travel insurance (I ALWAYS travel with travel insurance) I have full coverage.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 11:07 AM

Thank you very much, I was confused but I have read in the benefits of my Master Card
that " if your insurance covers does not cover you outside of the United States Master card rental is considered a primary cover."
everything is fine then, I do not have to rush to get a Visa.
What is not clear in my mind is that being myself the main holder of this card, I should rent the car in my name and having my husband as a secondary driver.
The only problem I forsee is that this card has only a credit of $2500 while the other cards we have have a much higher credit limit, I am afraid that the rental cards charge a lot when renting, does anybody knows how much>? We are renting for only a week for less than $250 dollars.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 11:59 AM

I am afraid that the rental cards charge a lot when renting, does anybody knows how much

Are you suggesting that the exchange rate will be different than if you pay for a hotel room in a foreign country? I doubt it.

You could try to up the limit on your card, and yes, you have to be the primary driver unless your husband has his own copy of the card. The transaction must be covered by that card from A to Z.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 12:53 PM

Mcihael, No, I am not suggesting that the exchange rate will be different than the one used in hotels. My concern is that may be when I rent a car with my Master Card( btw the credit limit is$ 3000), the car rental company besides charging for the rental which is not much aprox.300 usa, might block much more money as a security.
I guess they do that, some knows how much they block when renting a car>?
I suppose they unblock it when the car is returned.
For obvious reason I prefer to use Capital One than any of the other cards I have in Europe.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 01:31 PM

My recollection is that the Palermo agency where I picked up my car blocked 500€, which is manageable for me because I have a higher limit on my card. I do not recall an amount blocked in France, but rather having the credit card number for potential future charges. I think that each agency has its own policy.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 01:31 PM

Be vary careful in Lisbon Portugal as they refused to allow us to decline the CDW on a Budget rental car. The only way would be to block the total cost of the car (28000) on our credit card. This is the only time we ran into this! Now we have a greater limit on our credit card!
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 03:33 PM

It sounds like you rented the car from Budget while in Portugal. What you found was correct, if you decline the CDW, then you have to cover the cost of replacing the car with your credit card.