Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Question Re: Trenitalia Ticket Availability (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/question-re-trenitalia-ticket-availability-604419/)

nevertooold Apr 2nd, 2006 06:33 AM

Question Re: Trenitalia Ticket Availability

We are 3 people (myself, my wife and our teen-aged daughter) who are planning to take, in mid-July, a train from Rapallo to Cannes and then to return to Florence from Menton.

I have some questions which I would like answered:

(a) if, when I do go on the web-site to buy tickets in advance(and I do know that these can only be purchased 60 or less days before the date that I am trying to buy them for) availability is indicated an being "no", does this mean that even if I were to thereafter try to buy tickets live at the train station, they would be sold out, or does the web site only have a portion of tickets allocated to it?

(b) are youth-priced tickets available at the station as well as on the web?

(c) how likely, in the summer months, are the LAST trains from each of the following locations, to be fully booked in advance :

(1)Rapallo to Cannes on a Thursday evening;

(2)Menton to Genoa on a Wednesday evening;and

(3)Genoa to Florence on a Wednesday evening

I am trying to determine whether it will be worth the bother and effort to try to book all of the tickets in advance on the web - something that I was able to do previously last March for a trip in May, only after much frustration, difficulty, and cursing, or whether I can forego the "joy and pleasure" of having to deal with the trenitalia web-site, and can calmly wait until I arrive in each town or city, before purchasing my departure tickets.

As always, thanks for any advice.

rkkwan Apr 2nd, 2006 06:46 AM

The only tickets you can buy from trenitalia.com are

- the Rapallo-Genoa leg of your Rapallo-Cannes trip

- Genoa-Florence

I don't think one can buy cross-border trains on their site. At least I can't do it for your trips for some random dates in April I put in. That's why you're seeing "NO", but because they're sold out.

rkkwan Apr 2nd, 2006 06:46 AM

I mean, NOT because they're sold out. I am not sure what's the best way for you to buy those tickets in advance. I hope somebody else can help.

nevertooold Apr 2nd, 2006 07:10 AM

rkkwan - thanks for your response, but you can purchase cross-boarder tickets if you click on "international" above where you choose the departure city/town.

rkkwan Apr 2nd, 2006 07:23 AM

Oh yeah, you're right. Just forget what I said... Apparently I don't know enough about the topic. Sorry.

nevertooold Apr 2nd, 2006 07:35 AM

rkkwan - Thanks anyways for the attempt.

Anybody else?

ira Apr 2nd, 2006 08:10 AM

Hi N,

For international tickets on www.trenitalia.com, click "International".

Some of the local trains might not be available for purchase over the internet.

For your trains between Italy and France you can also use www.voyages-sncf.com, the French rail site.

((I))

ira Apr 2nd, 2006 08:12 AM

PS,

>(b) are youth-priced tickets available at the station as well as on the web?

Of course.