Question re Marco Polo Airport to Hotel near train station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read through many posts relating to this subject, but am still a little confused.

To get from Marco Polo Airport to our hotel in Venice (which is very close to the train station)which is the most convenient of the following options:

1)Alilaguna? to what stop? Does it stop at the train station? Or do I have to go all the way to S. Marco and take a Vaparetto back to the station/hotel?
2) Can you get a train from the airport to the Venice station? Would this be easier/harder than the above? More or less costly?

I know that the easiest option is a water taxi, but also the most expensive.

Any advice? If you are familiar with this situation, please be specific. THANKS!

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:50 PM

If the hotel is near the station then forget the water options. Take the bus direct to either Mestre or perhaps direct to Piazzale Roma. You can probaly walk from there--it is next to the station stop. Even if you have to change in Mestre, it will be a total of less than an hour. The alilugana/vaporetto combo will be 2 hours and more hassle. Have I confused you further??
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

No, actually that makes sense. The water route seemed rather roundabout for the hotel's location, but I wasn't sure. Can you give me an idea of how far it is - on foot - from Piazzale Roma to Lista di Spagna (Grand Hotel Principe)? 10 minutes? 20 minutes? Just curious, as will have two tired kids and several suitcases in tow. Thanks!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 06:25 PM

hadley -

Bob is correct; if your hotel is near the train station, you need only take a bus from the airport to Piazalle Roma (adjacent to the station) and walk from there.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...067030011.html

"The Azienda Trasporti Veneto Orientale (tel. 041-5205530) shuttle bus links the airport with Piazzale Roma for 2.50€ ($2.25). The trip takes about half an hour, and departures are about every 30 minutes daily 8:40am to 11:30pm. Even cheaper is a local bus company, ACTV (tel. 041-5287886), whose bus no. 5 makes the run for .70€ (65?). The ACTV buses depart every half hour and take about a half hour to reach Piazzale Roma."

I have taken the ATVO shuttle bus discussed above; it is easy, quick and cheap. According to their website, they are currently running every 20 minutes and the ticket price is now 3E:

http://www.atvo.it/eng/airport.php?l...t.php&id=0
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 06:32 PM

According to this site, your hotel is 250 yards from the train station:

http://www.thisistravel.com/travel/a...in_page_id=101

And here is the hotel's site, with a not particularly helpful map:

www.gardenahotels.it
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 04:33 AM
ira

Hi hadley,

You might find www.multimap.com useful for plotting your walk from Piazzale Roma to your hotel.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:44 AM

In 1996, we stayed in the Continental, right next door to the Principe. It is a short, easy walk from P. Roma. Though the station area isn't my favorite, it's not bad. A bridge and a vaporetto stop are both right there.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the help. It looks like an easy walk from the P. Roma to Lista di Spagna - I actually just wasn't sure if you could cross the canal nearby, but on closer inspection, I see there is a bridge right there.

I also wasn't too keen on the area either(when travelling in Europe, I find it's generally not a good idea to stay right by the train station); however, we've been offered such a great rate at the Principe through a connection that it was hard to pass up (an additional 35 euros/pm off the very lowest rate I've seen for this hotel on the discount reservation sites.)And I hear that the hotel has been totally renovated in the last couple of years and is much nicer. If I recall, from many years ago, it's probably only a 20-25 minute walk to San Marco, etc. And as you say, the Vaparetto stops right there. As long as it's a decent area, I guess it will be okay (and easy to get in and out of for a day trip we may take to Vicenza, Padova or Verona.)Anyone have any suggestions for restaurants, etc. in that neighborhood?
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:34 AM

I've stayed at The Principe and it's fine and very convenient! Easy walk across the Grand Canal from P. Roma.(take the bus from Marco Polo airport definitely. Ticket office in Arrivals hall- ACTV bus is every 20 mins) Bridge opposite the train station brings you to the start of Lista di Spagna.(5 mins walk from P Roma) The area by the station is unlike most cities and is perfectly safe. Easy and pleasant walk to San Marco. Good restaurants all
around there from cheap and cheerful to more expensive but I like the San Polo area for eating out.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Bellini - thanks for the reassurance. Just curious - were you at the Principe recently? Ever been during the summer, and if so, how was the air conditioning (left on all night?)

I'm generally alot less nit-picky about travel (less neurotic, perhaps?) but I'll be travelling alone with my two kids this time, so am a little more concerned with logistics, etc.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:15 AM

We thought that restaurants a bit away from that immediate area were better, as well as being less expensive. Not talking about a long way away, but just a few minutes walk off the main daytripper route.