Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me seriously that hotels are better in European cities than America?

Can anyone tell me seriously that hotels are better in European cities than America?

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Lester

Just returned from my 12th trip to Europe. We love Europe but hate European hotels! We have tried all kinds of options in improving our luck with European hotels. This has included: Inns, bed and breakfasts, 3, 4, 5 stars, American Chains, European Chains and independents. We have also tried hotels recomended by Fodors, Frommers and AAA guides.<BR><BR>In most cases the quality of the hotel for what we paid, was very poor!<BR><BR>Here is just a partial list of our complaints about hotels in European cities:<BR><BR>No soundproofing, poor TV, small single beds, lumpy beds, no soap in the bathroom, those silly shower heads, unfriendly service at the front desk, I could go on and on!<BR><BR>Please do not reply and tell me that ONE place you stayed at was very nice. That is not the point! My point is out of the 50 hotels I have stayed at, 40 were the pits.<BR><BR>In America, out of 50 hotels, 10 are the pits, poor odds and track record Europe!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:06 AM
American

The best way to make sure everything is just like home is to stay at home.<BR><BR>Just my opinion

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Mike

Please never come back to Europe. You are a little, spoilt, whining American that gives all of us a bad name. When you travel overseas, things are different. I enjoyed all of the many European hotels that I stayed in. I look forward to having new experiences when I travel, not to the boring stuff that is here around me in the USA. No wonder Europeans sometimes complain about us spoilt Americans.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Sandy

I don't understand why an opinion--in this case, about hotels--is so often met with a hostile response. Instead of hostility, another comment, without making a judgment on someone else's opinion, would certainly be more civil and certaintly more enlightening. For example, Mike might have written, "In my opinion, having new experiences outweighs the occasional inconvenience of an uncomfortable hotel." <BR>Can we try a little civilty?

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:17 AM
bettyk

Lester, in all of my travels to Europe, I have never had the bad luck with hotels that you describe. Some were clean, but not fancy, others were charming and steeped in history. We just returned from a 2-week stay in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and London and I can honestly say that the only complaint we had was about one shower in one of the hotels. Everywhere else, the service was professional and in some cases the staff were very friendly and outgoing. <BR><BR>My suggestion to you would be to limit your future travels to just the U.S. or try cruising. Maybe that would live up to your expectations.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Tommy

Lester: Get real. You've been to Europe 12 times and stayed in 40 hotels that were the pits. Your a fraud a troll or a very dumb traveler. Find another topic.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:36 AM
s

Lester,<BR><BR>It all depends on how you define "better." For you, "better" means big walls, big tvs, big mattresses, big shower heads, and big friends at the front desk?<BR><BR>Amenities in European hotels are obviously a reflection of the local culture, and Europeans (***generally**) are less concerned about public space/privacy than Americans, watch less tv, and have older plumbing and mattresses. Europeans also (again ***generally***) tend to use much more formal manners than Americans, and Americans may (***generally***)interpret that as unfriendly.<BR><BR>For me, "better" is views, views, & views, starched linens on the bed, fluffy duvets, and antique (even reproduction!) furniture. And quiet anonymity from my hosts.<BR><BR>So, yes, I "seriously" can tell you that European hotels are better.<BR><BR>s

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Pete

People are just trying to be difficult and start a fight. No Americans will really think that hotels in Europe are better than the ones in American cities.<BR><BR>I for one like nice beds, soundproofing, friendly service, cable TV, etc, where ever I travel. These are standards common to everywhere.<BR><BR>For people to let service standards in Europe be low because things are different there are doing a disservice to everyone.<BR><BR>Also regarding European service. Next time I am rude to someone and get in trouble with my boss, I will tell them I did not want to be Fake Friendly and it is a cultural thing because I am from Europe!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Vicky

In my opinion, the hotels are wonderful and some of the experiences in them have added to our travel memory. A hotel in Yugoslovia; in the bathtub there was a pull chain and everytime I used it, there would be a knock on the door. Didn't realize it was an alarm.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:50 AM
European

Vicky! That was a funny one.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:54 AM
s

Pete --<BR><BR>Good points & great attitude.<BR><BR>Yet I (an American) still really truly believe that hotels in Europe are "better."<BR><BR><BR>s

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:32 AM
janis

Yes - hotels in the US are generally more modern and have soundproffing. But the vast majority have absolutely no charm and could all be cut out by the same cookie cutter.<BR><BR>Give me a wonderful old bldg, Irish or French linens, a huge British breakfast, impecable service, windows looking out on a 1000 year old plaza etc etc over ANY American chain.<BR><BR>I don't go to Europe for soundproofing and fancy showerheads - maybe you are too spoiled to enjoy the fabulous places in Europe - maybe you should stick to Dallas or LA.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Guy

Hotels in Europe can be quaint or unusual, or cozy, or historic, but not better for basic features that makes for a safe and comfortable stay.<BR><BR>I miss, cable TV, large showers, ice machines, vending machines, huge menus in the restaurants, etc.<BR><BR>Do I still enjoy Europe, yes, but I also dislike European hotels!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:38 AM
mj

Lester,<BR>What a streak of bad luck...<BR><BR>My experience, which is more than your's, simply does not support the odds or the complaints you gave except for TV (IMHO, a non-issue).<BR><BR>Any chance you'd be willing to divulge some of the hotels you found wanting?<BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:45 AM
youngun

Geez, I hope I never get as crotchety as some of y'all! Really, listen, it sounds like a tantrum. I can understand the desire for a comfortable bed and a reasonable degree of quiet, and I would be unhappy if any place failed to deliver it. However, I've rarely encountered lodigin in Europe that was so terrible I couldn't stand it. When I have, I would try to find something else. It seems absurd that folks are complaining about the TV (who cares?), the lack of vending and ice machines (again, who cares?) or hotel restaurants (do you really expect them to be all that good anywhere? Go out to a local place and eat). Mind you, when travelling for leisure in Europe I tend to stay in hostels (not youth hostels anymore), and zero and 1 star hotels. Maybe it's easier to deal with less than opitmal conditions when you are paying $30/night as oopsed to $200. Nevertheless, it sounds like some folks are just whining.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:21 AM
huge

Personally, I am always suspicious if I see a huge menu. Unless there is a veritable army of chefs most of it won't be freshly prepared. Give me a small menu any day with one or two items well and freshly prepared. As for TV, if you are visiting an interesting city do you really want to spend the evening glued to the "fools' lantern".<BR>Also, what is this obsession with ice? It used to be said that Americans had to have everything they ate or drank either icy cold or set on fire. Ice is frozen water. If you want your drinks diluted then that's fine. Personally I don't.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Randy

Some of the silly responses:<BR><BR><BR>Ice, TV, beds, noise (Who cares), yes I do care! These seem like things a hotel that is charging over $200 should have!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Andre

Perhaps Lester stayed mostly in large cities in Europe like Paris and Rome, while he stayed in more secondary locations in the US.<BR><BR>I've found you consistently get a better deal on hotels which are not located in world capitals or famous resorts - who's ever found good value (at any star level) in NYC?<BR><BR>Andre

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Maria

Lester:<BR><BR>Well said. I have just returned from a cruise Venice to Rome and share your comments. We stayed at The Bauer in Venice and The Benini in Rome on a pre and a post hotel plan. I have read on this website about "the charming" hotels etc. The hotels were " 5 star" and European hotels should go to Las Vegas to see what $700 a night can buy.<BR>I guess that I am spoiled but one expects a little less dust and a few more of the finer things in life. Having said this--I have stayed at The Sacher in Vienna, The Ritz in London and The Muerice in Paris and they were among the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. Anyone who can say that Euporean hotels are better, overall, that in America needs to move up a class or two.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Dallas

Lester, if I traveled to Europe and found that their hotels were exactely like ours, I would feel that I had wasted an awful lot of money. I want to experience Europe's antiquity and cultural differences. Many of their hotels and B&B's are very old, built before soundproofing and modern shower heads. As for the unfriendly service, I've never experienced this -- just the opposite -- I expect it's your dissatisfied attitude that merits unfriendly service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -