Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Question on Hotel Palazzo Bocci and Spello (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/question-on-hotel-palazzo-bocci-and-spello-800606/)

M1 Aug 11th, 2009 06:40 PM

Question on Hotel Palazzo Bocci and Spello

I have almost completed researching my itinerary for 4 nights in Umbria and have almost decided to use Spello as a base town--note that I will be using bus and train and will not be renting a car. My questions are:

1. Is the bus area walking distance from the Hotel Palazzo Bocci or is it necessary to go all the way to the train station area, which I understand is over 1 km from the historic center, to take busses?

2. If I were to use the train for day trips to nearby towns, which I plan to do, and if I rely on the bus to take me from the train station to the historic center, about how far from the Palazzo Bocci will the bus be able to take me?

3. Besides the hotel restaurant located across from this hotel (Il Molino) and besides the restaurant La Bastiglia, both of which have received some positive press on this forum, any other recommendations in Spello?

4. Any additional comments on Spello as a base for 4 nights in Umbria (with visits to Spoleto and Assisi) without a car?

Many thanks.

theresa1123 Aug 11th, 2009 08:40 PM

I used Spello as a base (without a car) in 2006. If you are mobile and don't mind walking uphill, the walk from the train station is not too far. I did it several times (did a daytrip to Perugia). I never used the bus so cannot comment on that. Spello was enjoyable to walk around, even though it is quite small. At that time there were at least two decent places for cappuccino. I also spent time at the Enoteca Properzio, the people there were very hospitable and the wine/snacks were great - it is just across the street from Palazzo Bocci (where I stayed and it is lovely).

GAC Aug 12th, 2009 03:53 AM

I always walked from the train station to the historic area of Spello. It's a ten minute walk, very slightly uphill. I don't recall seeing any buses. Note that the station is unmanned, but has a ticket machine to buy tickets for regionale trains (which are the only trains which stop at Spello). Trains go all the way to Florence, originating in Foligno five minutes south.

There are direct buses from the main square of town (250 yards from the Palazzo Bocci) to Foligno and Assisi. To reach Perugia or Spoleto, you should plan to take the train. From Foligno, there are buses (directly outside the train station) to Trevi, Montefalco and Bevagna.

In four days, I doubt you'll be able to see any more towns that those listed here.

Spello is an extremely pleasant place to make your base of operations for central Umbria. It takes less than two hours to see the town itself.

sacc Aug 12th, 2009 06:36 AM

Spello is delightful, although extremely small! My favourite restaurant there is La Cantina, via Cavour 2. Great food and excellent service, reasonable prices. I've also heard wonderful things about Il Molino.

Pinturicchio's fresco cycle in the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore's Cappella Baglioni contains some of the best preserved, most beautiful frescos I've seen. Stunning. It's almost directly across the street from Palazzo Bocci.

If you can, take the train to Perugia for a day. The historic centre is fascinating. The mini-metro system will take you from Perugia's train station (in the modern, lower part of the city) straight up to the historic centre.

M1 Aug 16th, 2009 06:24 PM

All,

Many thanks for your comments and recommendations!