Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Question for yk - schedule for Germany and Austria (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/question-for-yk-schedule-for-germany-and-austria-803157/)

wanderfar Aug 26th, 2009 11:18 AM

Question for yk - schedule for Germany and Austria

Hi yk.

Thanks for your always helpful replies and your detailed trip reports. I always enjoy reading them. We are planning a trip to Germany/Austria next May and I am looking for your thoughts on how to divide our time, since our travel styles/interests seem to be similar and it seems like you have been to all the places we are planning to visit. Typically we do two cities a trip with about 5-7 days in each city.

For this trip we are really interested in spending time in Berlin, Vienna, Salzburg and Munich with possible side trips to the Zugspitze and/or a smaller town.

We will have 13 days on the ground and will be flying in and out of Frankfurt. Not ideal, I know, but it is what it is. We land early on a Saturday morning.

I'm thinking the following:

Day 1 - Berlin (1/2 day after travel time)
Day 2 - Berlin
Day 3 - Berlin
Day 4 - Berlin
Day 5 - Berlin - night train to Munich, connect to train to Vienna
Day 6 - Vienna - arrive late morning
Day 7 - Vienna
Day 8 - Vienna
Day 9 - Vienna/Salzburg
Day 10 - Salzburg
Day 11 - Munich
Day 12 - Munich - Zugspitze
Day 13 - Munich - evening to Frankfurt for flight home next day

The other thought would be to ditch Berlin for this trip, although I really don't want to, and concentrate on some of the smaller towns - Rothenburg, etc. and spend more time in and around Munich. Any thoughts or suggestions on minimum amount of time you would spend in Berlin and Vienna or any thoughts on the schedule would be appreciated. I've been to Germany twice - Rhine area, Munich - my husband has never been. If anyone else cares to chime in, it would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

ira Aug 26th, 2009 12:09 PM

Hi WF,

Looks like a good plan to me.

((I))

yk Aug 26th, 2009 12:38 PM

Hi wanderfar,

Thanks for the kind words, and I hope other Germany & Austria experts can chime in too, as I am far from being the expert here.

If you are crazy about art, museums, and architecture like I am, you'll have a hard time fitting it all in for Berlin & Vienna. DH & I are heading to Berlin this Fall and we will have 4.5 days there (so the same as you), and I have a terrible time fitting everything into those 4 days. I'm pretty sure we'll be running from one museum to the next; or skipping a bunch of places that I'd love to go.

As for Vienna, I spent 3.5 days there in 2006, and another 5.5 days in 2009, and there are still many places I haven't gotten around to visit.

But - if you are just aiming for the real biggies and are willing to skip a bunch of museums, I think your schedule is fine. But honestly, I think 5 days is minimum for Berlin & Vienna (esp if you want to visit Potsdam and Schonbrunn). I've been to Munich just once, and unlike some folks here, I really wasn't crazy about it at all and have no desire to return anytime soon.

Can you fly into/out of somewhere else instead of Frankfurt???

wanderfar Aug 28th, 2009 07:20 AM

Hi yk and Ira.
Thanks for your helpful replies. Sounds like this itinerary is doable. Part of me wants to just stay in Berlin and do Berlin/Potsdam/Dresden and maybe a short trip to Warsaw, but there are always too many places to see!! Thanks for confirming that we aren't crazy for trying to do the above schedule. Unfortunately Frankfurt is firm since we are flying on miles. I always enjoy reading both your posts, so thanks again for your help!

Ingo Aug 28th, 2009 08:12 AM

Why going through Munich on the way to Vienna? There is a night train Berlin - Vienna that leaves 7 pm and arrives 6.08 am the next morning. And if you really have a day left inbetween then there are endless opportunities to spend it on the direct route Berlin- (Dresden-Prague-) Vienna. But Munich? That's a huge detour.

I.

dfr4848 Aug 28th, 2009 09:50 AM

I agree the plan sounds good. We tend to group visits to Germany and Austria geographically and I think you've done that pretty well, though on our last trip we did squeeze in Dresden on that route and absolutely loved it.

Ditto Ingo - I'd take the direct overnight train.

Curious - is there something about your FF miles (either direct or partner airlines) that wouldn't allow you to open jaw: in to Berlin and leave from Munich? Would save some time.

wanderfar Nov 24th, 2009 01:28 PM

Thanks again for your helpful replies. Ingo, we are going to take the direct night train. Thanks for encouraging this Initially, I was trying to work with the Germany-Austria railpass connections. Also, dfr4848, due to the airline connections, Frankfurt was the best option for arrival/departure.

I'm further along in the planning and have an another question for anyone who might have input.

Currently, we are planning -
Day 1 - Berlin (1/2 day after travel time)
Day 2 - Berlin
Day 3 - Berlin
Day 4 - Berlin
Day 5 - Berlin - night train Vienna
Day 6 - Vienna - arrive early morning
Day 7 - Vienna
Day 8 - Vienna
Day 9 - Vienna
Day 10 - Salzburg/SOM
Day 11 - Salzburg/Berchtesgaden
Day 12 - Munich
Day 13 - Munich - evening to Frankfurt for flight home next day

My only thought right now is wondering if we should stay one more night in Vienna and then stay only one night in Salzburg and skip Berchtesgaden. Any thoughts? I would really like to visit Eagle's Nest and the Documentation Center, but am also thinking we will likely get back to Munich/Bavaria area before Vienna again.

Again, any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving.
wanderfar

hsv Nov 24th, 2009 02:15 PM

1 night in Salzburg is enough. In fact it's easy to cover the old town of Salzburg in about 3 -4 hours. Add another 2.5 hours for the castle and hike over to the Museum of Modern Art for another 30 min. plus some time visiting that and you have got it covered.

iris1745 Nov 24th, 2009 03:28 PM

Hi; It all depends on how you travel. For us, a few hours in Salzburg is never enough. If you like to 'run' thru a city, then a day is enough. If you like to absorb the history of a city, then do the two days. The Mozart concerts, the ambiance. Siting in the old city center eating a huge ice cream sunday, people watching. Doing a Sound of Music tour. So, it's all in your travel methods. Richard P.S. Been there three times.