Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question for Vincenzoda, Ekscrunchy, & Any Other Rome Foodies

Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Vincenzoda, grazie per la sua raccomanda per Il Quinto Quarto! My husband can't wait to eat there. I may even reserve for our first night in Rome, which falls on a Sunday. Ekscrunchy, we will be visiting some of your favorites down on the Amalfi coast and I will report back here.

I have a question regarding another restaurant in Rome that someone told my husband about. It is a small rooftop restaurant that is run by a chef/owner and his wife. It is supposedly off the beaten path down a small street and seats maybe 20 people. The food is supposed to be great but I have no idea what the name of the place is. Does anyone have a clue?
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM

Gale: I am sorry but it does not ring a bell. The only ones I can think of are on the roofs of hotels like the Hassler or the Hilton.

But let me take the opportunity to wish you a wonderful trip. Happy eating! Be sure to keep us posted on the details!
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:13 PM

Or this one, also in a hotel:

http://www.raphaelhotel.com/en/raphe...nt-in-rome.htm
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM

Gale, me to I am sorry as Ekscrunchy is and, believe me, me too the only restaurant in this shape that I know is La Pergola at Hilton and of course it is not.
I know and I attend often at a restaurant with terrace but, obviously is not what you're searching for because in this case I am talking about the restaurant owned by Gambero Rosso at Città del Gusto.
Sorry; and enjoy Rome, ciao.

Vincenzo
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

ek-the way this place was described I odn't think it would have been on the rooftop of a hotel but you never know. It sounded very local.

Thanks for your well wishes and I will definitely chime in on our return. I'm in count down mode...11...10...9
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:30 PM

You have to try Da Buffeto near Piazza Navona. It's the best thin crust pizza ever and you will be spoiled. There is always a line out the door but worth the wait. I believe they open at six p.m. for dinner.
Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Vincenzoda - No worries. I am hoping that the gentleman that my husband spoke with at the local Italian Athletic Club here in SF will recover his health and be back at the club before we leave. I have given my husband strict instructions to get the name and neighborhood if not more information for us.

jessicadog-Da Buffeto is one of the places on my list, but there are so many! I've tried to lose a few lbs. before the trip but as it gets closer I seem to be eating more carbs! I want to save them for the carbonara at Il Quinto Quarto!
Sep 3rd, 2009, 04:28 AM

There is of course the rooftop garden at the Hotel Eden, extremely good and very expensive, but doesn't meet your description. Good luck and let us know when you find it.
Sep 3rd, 2009, 04:44 AM

A 20-seat rooftop mom-and-pop restaurant in Rome doesn't compute. If it's not a hotel (and it doesn't seem to be), who owns the lower floors, how is the rooftop accessed and where is the kitchen?

I suspect a misunderstanding of some kind.
Sep 3rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Sampaguita-no from what my DH told me it was really a mom and pop kind of operation.

Zerlina-It is always possible for my DH to misunderstand and not get things totally straight. Hopefully this will get cleared up before we leave and I will keep everyone posted.
Sep 3rd, 2009, 08:44 AM

LOL...don't we all want to lose a few before our trip? (Oh, those seats in economy!) The problem is these trip reports with the wonderful restaurant reviews. The worst being those with photos that make me want to lick my screen. Then, I'm off to to the kitchen to whip up my best attempt of what I've just read about. Oh well, life is short...but good!
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Hi all-I now have the restaurant(s) that were recommended by DH's "pal". It is truly amazing how confused dear DH was. The restaurant in Rome is Le Cupole on via lucrezio caro. I looked online and I sure didn't see any rooftop! Does anyone know this place?

Next rec was for L'Arsenale in Minori on the Amalfi coast. Has anyone eaten here before?

I also saw Mamma Agata's in Ravello mentioned in another thread. The cooking classes look like fun, but how is the food at the restaurant?

Thank you all for trying to help me solve this puzzle and I apologize for the confusion!

I have a gazillion restaurants written down now, and I'm going to come home looking like the michelin man!!!
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:38 AM

http://www.ristorantelecupole.com/

The website is outdated and mostly doesn't work.

I saw one restaurant review on menudiroma.
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks kybourbon-I had the same experience.
Sep 10th, 2009, 04:08 PM

http://www.menudiroma.com/ita/default.aspx

The website used to be in English too, but doesn't seem to be anymore. You could search restaurants by type and area.

A few years ago Dutyfree started this thread about restaurants in Trastevere for under 20/25€ per person if you plan to be in that area.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-a-person.cfm

You can also search restaurants on the Rome Tourist Board website 060608 by type and area.
http://www.060608.it/en/content/inde...oglienza/id/19