Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

question for those who have seen Wicked at the Apollo Victoria Theatre

Jan 26th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

We are wanting to see Wicked while in London in June. I understand that Theatremonkey recommends stall seats K-P and Q-S most because they are far enough back to appreciate the scope of this amazing set. However, I had dress circle seats to the play in Chicago and got a pretty good appreciation for the set/effects at that performance. I thought this time it might be fun to sit a little closer to pick up more of the details and actually see faces. Does the rake at this venue make this undesirable?

Am hoping that some of you who have been to the production at this venue might advise me...

Jan 26th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Hi crazyHawaii,

I just saw Wicked at the beginning of January - fantastic show - amazing huge sets! I sat in the circle (M) and thought my view was ideal. I always enjoy being a bit higher though.

Have fun....Kerry Ellis (the lead singer Elphaba) - so amazing.

Cheers,

Murphy
Jan 27th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Murphy -
I'm really looking forward to hearing an Elpheba with British accent! Did you find that you had trouble seeing over heads in front of you? It looks like these circle stalls are pretty flat and the seats are not staggered. I would head for seats higher up myself except I'd like to be a little closer this time if possible.
Jan 27th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Nope, I had no trouble - the seats were nicely staggered.

I'm afraid I couldn't detect her accent....still - she's fantastic.

Have fun!

Murphy
Jan 27th, 2007, 09:35 AM

If the character is played as an American she won't have a British accent in the speaking parts.

And it may seem weird, but in singing parts, there is usually no accent no matter what the nationality of the character.
Jan 27th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Would love to see this while in London in October. How can we get tickets? I'd like to get a head start on this as our only possible theater going nights will be
Friday and Saturday. (Jet-lagged Thursday, theatre is dark Sunday, leaving on Monday.)
Jan 27th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Lets see, Elpheba was born in Oz - what sort of acent should that be exactly?
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Ticketmaster is the official vendor for this show. See Theatremonkey on this. You can also get them from two other sources for a fee.

It was publicised that Kerry was allowed to keep her British accent (rather than use an American accent, which I know that many British actors can do quite well) during the speaking parts for Elpheba.
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Azzure - you can contact the theater directly. We bought tickets for a performance next month on lastminute.com...don't think they would be booking for October yet, though.
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Oh -- oops - I forgot she was an aussie. Then she'll have an OZ accent.
Jan 27th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

I think they are only booking through June or July right now, but it will probably be extended, so keep checking. I was told that if you call the box office, Ticketmaster will be the one that takes the call/sells you the tickets. Not the case with all of the theatres I know... If this is not true, let me know as I think dealing with the box office directlly is usually best.
Jan 27th, 2007, 01:58 PM

I got mine at theatretickets.co.uk. I picked up tickets for 3 shows with this site and had no problems.Tickets were available to pick up 30 min prior to show time.

Cheers,

Murph
Jan 27th, 2007, 02:28 PM

janis, did you miss the joke that Elphaba (the character -- not the actress) was born in OZ, meant the land of.... not Australia? Or did you catch that and did I miss YOUR joke? Now I'm so confused.
Jan 28th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

An update for azzure...
I called Ticketmaster UK on the phone number provided by their website. The agent helped me look at available choices until he found just the seats I wanted. In the past I've just kept checking online until some okay seats popped up. Now I know better. - Call and get great seats. I understand the agents vary as to how helpful they are, so if you get one that's not so patient, then call back later!
Jan 28th, 2007, 01:53 PM

I'm curious why you bother with the agencies like Ticketmaster at all --including hoping you get a good agent or having to call back until you do? For London (unlike Broadway) you can call the theater boxoffice direct. You won't find any agency nearly so knowledgeable or helpful as the personel in the actual box office. What's more they really have the latest scoop on what seats are available (including just returned ones which Ticketmaster may not have) and can help with what seats are best. Also you won't pay the extra fees you pay Tickemaster or anyone else, they will hold the tickets for you right at the boxoffice, and it is all so much simpler and better than the agencies, in my opinion.
Jan 28th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Try calling the Apollo Victoria Box Office direct. - You'll get Ticketmaster. This particular theatre does it that way. I promise. Call and you'll see...
Jan 28th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Maybe they do that at the hours when their box office is closed ? Just an idea
Jan 28th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

I can only relate what I was told by Theatremonkey and by the theatre. The theatre box office only takes orders for those in a wheelchair and for large groups over the phone. Of course you can go to the box office if you live in London...

Different theatres have different policies.
Jan 28th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

NeoPatrick -
Please tell me about return tickets. Are these tickets that are not picked up, or do people return tickets to the box office they have purchased but are not going to be able to use? (I understood that tickets are non-refundable when you buy them, so I've been curious about this.)
Jan 28th, 2007, 06:11 PM

In theory, tickets cannot be returned, but sometimes people do go to the box office and sweet talk the attendant into making an exchange. I've bought returns on several occassions, usually last minute -- and often for cash only. But there are also cases where tickets are on hold or sold, but then the credit card doesn't go through or something happens and the tickets become available again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO