Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question for StCirq or a Paris resident regarding Hair Salons and Beauty Supplies

Question for StCirq or a Paris resident regarding Hair Salons and Beauty Supplies

Jul 19th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Good afternoon,

After a long conversation with my hairstylist, he suggested that when I arrive in Paris that I go and purchase a straightening iron there as opposed to purchasing a universal iron here in the U.S. and taking it with me. He seems to think that an appliance purchased in Paris for use in France will work better. I will be staying in the 7th arrondisement, near Lmetro stop Ecole Militaire. Where might I find a beauty supply store or salon that sells profession grade straightening irons? To give you an idea of what I am looking for, I currently use a Chi Turbo. I appreciate any assistance that you can offer. I have been told that these items are expensive, but I do not mind because I will take it with me everytime I come to Europe.

Thank you in advance!
Jul 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM

Hi there, I also use a Chi at home. I purchased a Remington flat iron in Paris from Darty a few years ago. This is a great place and my recollection is that it was located in the 16th near Passy. They had a fairly good selection and they may even carry Chi's by now. While not as good as a Chi, the Remington I purchased has worked very well when I am in Paris. Also has survived with an adaptor when I have been in London. Good luck!
Jul 19th, 2007, 01:47 PM

I don't know why he thinks that: I use my Chi flat iron in Venice and Paris every time I go-used it some months ago, as a matter of fact, and it works fine with the adapter/converter. But you can check the chain hair salons like JLD (Jean Louis David) Jean Claude Beguine, and others to see what they have on offer-when I use these salons, they usually use a Chi type flat iron on my hair (in other words, not the wide Italian-type flat irons that I don't like) and it's so cheap I just have it done, rather than spend the time to do it myself.
Jul 19th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Dear Paris1953,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am reluctant to bring my own flat iron and use a voltage converter because I have heard that the U.S. hair appliances simply do not perform well with a converter, the most common complaint being that they overheated. I will do a search for Darty and purchase an iron when I get there. Thank you again for your help. I know it may sound silly to some, but this is important to me and I do appreciate your kindness.

Regards,
Donna
Jul 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Like I said, I use my CHI all the time in Paris, and it hasn't been a problem.
Jul 19th, 2007, 02:44 PM

You can overheat it if you use it on the U.S. high setting. When using a U.S. appliance with the converter, the U.S. low setting will be converted to high, or med. high. I fried several 2 hair dryers and a white noise machine before somebody 'splained that to me.

I use this flat iron both here and in France without a converter.

http://www.folica.com/Wigo_Profession_d1087.html

It automatically senses the voltage and adjusts it accordingly. I just have to remember to keep it on a low setting when in Europe.

It looks like this model has been discontinued but I'm sure they have replaced with a newer model.

Jul 19th, 2007, 02:57 PM

I know they have a Darty in the Forum des Halles shopping center.
Jul 19th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Darty locations are listed on their website www.darty.com and you can have a look at the Remington flat iron.
Jul 19th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Funny you think I'd know this - my hair's about 2 inches long! But I guess I do know the rue Cler area, near Ecole Militaire. The only thing that comes to mind is there's a quincaillerie on the rue Cler that sells all kinds of appliances, from blow driers to vacuum cleaners. Maybe they'd have one.

But I agree there's no reason to go buy one in France.
Jul 19th, 2007, 07:02 PM

I too have a Chi and I refuse to leave home without it. It works perfectly in Europe. Actually I'm almost inclined to say it works better, as I swear it sometimes gets hotter! I have used my Chi in about 10 countries and have never had any problems.

Tracy
Jul 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM

I bought the following to take with me on trips to Europe: http://www.folica.com/Sedu_Ionic_Cera_d1783.html. This is a 220-volt, 2-pin prong plug flat iron. I use a GHD at home and while my GHD is better this Sedu is not bad. There are other 220-volt flat irons on the folica.com sight, along with some dual voltage ones.
Jul 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM

That should be the folica.com SITE. Sheesh! Time for bed.
Jul 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM

Dear dlb716,
I truly understand your concern and I also have a 'thing' about having decent hair when I travel. The reason I purchased the flat iron i Paris is that first, it wasn't terribly expensive (altho if they'd had a chi at the time I would've purchased it; second, I travel to Paris every year (if at all possible), so it gets used; and third, my US Chi got overwhelmed by the voltage (even with an adaptor and just died. Actuallly the person that posted that theirs got "hotter" in Europe is right...that is what happened to mine right before it died. Anyway, good luck!
Jul 21st, 2007, 02:58 PM

There are many professional shops for salons which may have it - get off the metro at Strasbourg St Denis and walk north towards the gare d'est.