Question for St Cirq about St Cirq

Jun 8th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Question for St Cirq about St Cirq

Mellen, I was adding our French place to the Fodor map and I spotted your flag so I had a wee nosey and went to the satellite view. A question and a comment, please. Is the flag actually ON your house? Or just on the village? It is a rock house, isn't it?

I am just about finished a book called "Bruno, Chief of Police"- a light hearted police story written by an Englishman- Martin Walker- (which I have really enjoyed, even if it's not high literature). It's set in a village called St Denis (which I stupidly thought was real, but now realise is fictional. It says this on his web sitebr />
"To create Bruno’s St Denis, the author borrowed elements from Sarlat and Bergerac, but mainly from smaller towns like St Cyprien and Belves, Les Eyzies and Siorac, Eymet and Sainte Alvere, Tremolat and Le Bugue and Le Buisson. The Mairie and the war memorial come from one town and the Gendarmerie and the Hotel de la Gare from another, the tennis club and the main square come from a third and the College and the bi-weekly markets from yet a fourth and so on. Any investigating visitor who thinks the real model of St Denis has been located is mistaken. The Bruno novels are works of fiction and St Denis is an invention."

In it, he visits La Grotte du Sorcier (I think), which I would not have recognised had I not, last night, clicked on your location on the Fodorland Map. Do you know of any of this?
Jun 9th, 2009, 02:09 PM
ira

t
Jun 9th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Hi, Sheila.

It wasn't possible to get the marker right ON my house (at least I don't think so - I kept searching for our pool, but couldn't find it), but it's just about there. And there really isn't a "village." It's a commune, and while there's a cluster of houses around where mine is, most are farms in the valley below and the plateau above. The Grotte du Sorcier (formerly known as the Grotte de St-Cirq) is next door to my house, and it's the only commercial thing in the commune.

And yes, my house is stone. I don't think there's any other kind anywhere around. Not allowed, far as I know.

I don't know the book you're referring to, but I certainly know all those towns very well. It sounds like I should pick up a copy!
Jun 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply and for indulging my nosiness

Search this Thread