Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question for photographers: have you ever regretted not bringing a full kit on a trip? (Seville & Madrid)

Question for photographers: have you ever regretted not bringing a full kit on a trip? (Seville & Madrid)

Sep 30th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Next Saturday, DH and I are off to Seville and Madrid for a week. We both really enjoy photography, but we are thinking that for this trip it might be nice to enjoy the city and going out at night without lugging around the gear. As an alternative, we would bring point-and-shoots that shoot RAW with full manual control.

So far, the only reason I can think of to bring my DSLR is so I can use my superwide zoom, which can come in handy in tight spaces. Aside from that, quite frankly I think I'll probably come home with mostly snapshots that wouldn't require my D200 and 18-200mm zoom.

So, have you ever traveled without your SLR and regretted it, or not? I'd love to hear stories either way. Thanks in advance for any help!
Sep 30th, 2007, 10:20 PM

I have a Leica M8, but since I will be doing alot of walking, decided to bring a P/S this time, that can fit in a pocket ot purse. Just bot a Leica P/S, and tried it out before we left.

Upon arrival in Europe, upon first trying the cam, it now has a dead LCD. Now I regrett not bringing the bigger cam.

But if I had to do it over, I would bring a smaller P/S, one of Canons better models, maybe the G8, I am getting tired of lugging a larger camera through 6 miles of walking, and the shots from a G8 or similiar are hard to diff from my $$$$ Leica.

Just my 2cents! Now I will spend my days looking for a camera store, where I will surely be "ripped off"
Oct 1st, 2007, 12:29 AM

The only worry I would have with a P&S is noise. Because of the smaller sensor you get noise at much lower ISOs than with a DSLR. If you are planning any interior shots or evening/night shots that is worth thinking about.
Otherwise why not just take the 18-200 with you - it makes a good travel lens and covers pretty much the range you would need?
I have regretted not taking a lens with me? Yes, in Scotland last month for instance I only took a wide angle and a long zoom. Stupid. The long zoom was great for birds, but too heavy to use handheld to zoom in on a landscape, which meant taking the tripod along too. Indeed I left it behind at the cottage a couple of times because I didn't want to lug it all around with me.
Oct 1st, 2007, 02:32 AM

I travel with a Canon 5D and two lenses - a 24-105 4.0 and a 50 1.2. I used to bring more but every trip I cut something from my list. Next summer I may just take the 5D and the 24-105. I suspect I would miss the 50mm lens but it is pretty heavy.

I occasionally wish I had a point and shoot but when I am processing pictures after I get home, I am glad I took my DSLR.

I agree with the take on noise and small sensor cameras. I can shoot at 800 iso with the 5D and get very clean photos.

Incidentally, I used to travel with a 70-300 telephoto but now I don't. I rarely wish I had it along. I often wish I had my 17-24 wide angle.

Obviously, all of this varies from person to person. I see things people take with point and shoot cameras and am very impressed. Each generation of camera seems to get better and better.

Someday maybe I will take a compact camera and leave the heavier stuff back home.
Oct 1st, 2007, 02:44 AM

Which P&S do you have that shoots RAW?

If you are fully familiar and comfortable with your P&S, why not just take one camera this time - try it out and see how you like it.

I took my 30D to Italy in May with my Mom and ended up hardly carrying it around due to weight - it was so much easier to just grab my little SD800IS. I always took my tiny tripod with me though, every single time. Maybe that would be a good compromise?
Oct 1st, 2007, 02:48 AM

My last trip I hauled both the SLR(film) and P&S digital with a 10x zoom. It fit in my purse and I always had it with me while many times I left the SLR in the room. I was pleased with the pictures I got--expecially the ones I might have missed with the fedupness of dragging a large camera.

Next trip I plan to take just the digital. I am an amateur, but love to take pictures (shot 2-3 rolls/day on film) and filled 2 giga cards in three weeks). Ditched many of the digital shots, not because of fault with the camera, fault of photographer. I also got some pictures I would not have had due to the fact that with digital, I just kept snapping in areas where there was lots of action or shifting scenes and with film I would have been more careful and might have missed some
peak action.

I would think with a P&S which shoots RAW and has manual control, you could do very well.

Just my thoughts.
Oct 1st, 2007, 03:00 AM

I've recently bought a Nikon P5000 to use when I want to leave my D200 at home, which I did on a recent trip to Greece. There were times when I wished I had the D200 with me (that 18-200 VR lens along with a super wide prime would be a good combination).

For me it all depends upon what sort of photography I will be doing on the trip. If its somewhere I have never been before, or if I will be taking some demanding shots (eg sports) then I will bring the dSLR. If all I expect to take are snapshots, then the p&s will do.

If you can manage it, bring both D200 and a p&s for evenings out. Of course then you will worry about leaving the D200 behind in your hotel room.
Oct 1st, 2007, 03:02 AM

On my last trip I brought along my trusty old SLR film camera with a zoom lens and a point and shoot digital in my pocket. I think that the old flm camera is going to be retired before my next trip in favor of a DSLR.

I wouldn't think of traveling without a camera, and I always bring two or three because you never know when one of them will go belly up. That has happened to me several times.

Oct 1st, 2007, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I am glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

You guys have a good point about leaving the gear in the room. Unfortunately, neither DH nor I would be comfortable doing that. We both prefer to have our stuff in our possession at all times, so that isn't an option.

Sshepard, DH shoots a 5D as well, and he always brings a minimum of 5 lenses, including the 24-105 and the 70-200 f/4. He is thinking of bringing his Ricoh GX100 instead, which was going to be just his backup/pocket camera.

Flygirl, my P&S is a Leica D-Lux 3 (which is the same as a Panasonic LX2.) It's not quite as small as those little silver cameras, but it has all the manual control I want. I was going to bring a smaller P&S for backup/pocket use, but the Leica would replace both cameras.

hetismij, you have a good point about interior and night shots. I was planning on doing both, and the Leica is definitely a little noisy. By the way, how was your trip to Iceland?!

Intex, sorry to hear about your broken camera. That's a raw deal. The G8 is a great choice, especially now that it has RAW again.

The ironic thing about all this is that I bought the 18-200 as a travel lens. If we were going to be in the country more, I wouldn't think twice about bringing it.
Oct 1st, 2007, 04:18 AM

Leica, very nice! My very first digital camera was a Leica Digilux Zoom. It was a great little camera but it fell into the surf in Peru and that was that. I've had Canons ever since (not that I wouldn't like-a Leica!

I think taking one good camera (which yours obviously is) is a good compromise between lugging everything and taking nothing. I don't think I could go on vacation without a camera. Do you have a little tabletop tripod or do you mostly use a big one? I bought a Manfrotto 709 on advice here and wow did that make a difference - even with the little P&S. It basically opened up the shots I could take - I only used it in lower light sitches.

I love your Iceland photos by the way!
Oct 1st, 2007, 04:30 AM

For me, the converse is true: I lugged a full bag (SLR, 80-200mm Telefoto zoom, 25-70mm Zoom, filters, flash, etc.) to Santiago once. The next time I brought my SLR w/43-75 Zoom and a digital point & shoot w/ Tele & Wide angle and flash built in. The weight difference was probably 15-20 lbs.

I never regretted not having my SLR!
Oct 1st, 2007, 05:12 AM

It's about what's important to you.

I just sold my Digital Rebel XTi and bought a 40D that's almost 50% heavier and almost that much bigger. And I usually take two lens - the 10-22 ultra-wide and the 17-55 "standard zoom" with IS.
Oct 1st, 2007, 06:29 AM

It's also about your size and travel style. I am a fairly small female and the weight of all that camera gear really hurts my back. I tend to walk 10-15 miles a day in cities in Europe - all day long usually for 12 hours or more. So consequently I've opted for lighter equipment. On my last trip I left my Canon Rebel xti home and took a smaller non SLR. It's "SLR like" - has all manual controls, shoots raw and I have a wide angle converter which screws on. But overall is still 50% lighter. I don't print larger than 11x14 usually so it was fine. I also always take a small (pocket sized) point and shoot (Canon 710 or similar) and many times the quality with that is just as good as with the SLR (or the "SLR-like"). I take a 6" tripod.
Oct 1st, 2007, 06:36 AM

sunny16, tell DH that he might simply take his 5D but fewer lenses. I'd probably leave the zoom behind myself. The 5D allows you to do a ton of cropping with its 12.8MP - I take advantage of this with my 5D fairly often.

I'm taking 2 or maybe 3 lenses (plus a full tripod) with my 5D to Italy this week. I do wish I had a little P&S - I may still buy one before I leave, because I do find it a pain to carry a big camera around. As a compromise, I may bring my 6MP Digital Rebel and the kit lens. That's pretty light to carry around. I'll use my 5D for daybreak/dusk shots on the tripod, maybe the rebel for running-around shots.
Oct 1st, 2007, 07:05 AM

What is the ultimate use of the photos? Pleasure or professional?

I have had over two dozen photographic exhibits, including a current show with pictures shot in Spain. My last trip in May of this year I considered not carrying a camera at all. It can be very liberating. You see people and sites in a larger context instead of framing everything you see.

I have carried at times two bodies, an assortment of lenses, and a tripod. But I think one camera body with a verstile zoom should be sufficient.
Oct 1st, 2007, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Aduchamp, these photos are just for pleasure, although I wouldn't mind selling a few. I agree with you about feeling liberated when you're not looking at everything through a lens.

Andrew, thanks for the suggestion! I think DH is thinking about bringing his 20D instead of the 5D, one zoom and 2 primes.

Today I brought my Leica and the D200 with the Sigma 10-20mm on it and tested them during lunch to get a feel for the differences between them. I have a feeling I'll end up bringing the D200 anyway.

Another problem is that I've never found the perfect camera bag for city use. I'm probably going to bring the Lowepro Orion Trekker II. I have a Crumpler bag that I prefer in the city, but it won't fit other things that I need during the day. In the past I've tried carrying a camera bag and a handbag, but that was way too cumbersome.

Anyway, thanks again for the help! I'll let you guys know what I decide.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the help, everyone! I looked at my samples last night and it's no contest - the Leica is too noisy even at ISO 400. It's fine for everyday use, but not for a big vacation.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:17 AM

At the end of this month, DH & I leave for 2 weeks in Europe: several days in Rome, Med. cruise aboard SeaDream I, ending with a couple of days in Barcelona.

I am crazy about photograhy. I am taking both my D80 w/ 18-200vr lens (just one lens) and a trusty P&S. I will shoot w/ the D80 & DH will shoot P&S if he so desires. Personally, the image quality on my DSLR, even shooting JPEG Fine, is far better than a P&S. Sure, camera, grip (besides the obvious, the grip helps balance the body w/ that 18-200 lens) & lens are heavy. However, with a cushy strap & a couple of Advil, I'll be good to go. Cannot fathom not having my big camera with so many fantastic things to shoot!

Have a great trip!
Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Cammie, is the D80 really badly balanced with the 18-200 on it? The 18-200 balances quite nicely on my D200. I was thinking of getting a used D50 or D70 so I have something a little smaller to carry around. Not that I don't love my D200, but there are times when it seems like overkill...

Your trip sounds great! Have a good time!
Oct 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM

bookmark

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO