Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question for non-US citizens who have recently entered the US

Jan 18th, 2007, 04:37 PM
P_M
Original Poster

As some of you know, visitors to the US must fill out the I-94 form. A Dutch friend of mine told me there's a question on that form asking, "Are you coming to the US in order to kill the president?" I believed him at the time, but the more I think about it, that's a silly question and I wonder if he's pulling my leg. He is quite the joker sometimes.

Is it true this question is on the form? A person would be awfully stupid to say "yes" to that question, whether that's actually the purpose of the visit or not. I really must know because if I've been had, I must start plotting my revenge against this person.

Thanks.
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:03 PM

Are you trying to pull our legs?

If you're serious, Google it, then start plotting.
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:06 PM
P_M
Original Poster

I am serious, he really told me this!! And it wasn't just me, he told this to a room full of people. Do we owe him a prank??
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:11 PM

No, that isn't the question, he has it a little confused.

It reads, from the TSA, "Are you coming to us to place an order to fill the president"

Which is wierd, isn't it?

<)
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:12 PM

P_M, time to mock up some fake INS stationery and get back at your friend. Google sample INS Form 1-94 and you'll see why. Tee, hee.
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:15 PM
P_M
Original Poster

OK, I'm googling like a fool, trying desperately to find a sample form.

If this is a load of bull, then please keep the ideas coming for the cruel and unusual punishment to befall this person. I like the idea for INS stationary, maybe I'll send him a letter saying he's being deported. >
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Send him an envelope with white powder in it....

<)
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:21 PM
P_M
Original Poster

I'll put Sweet-N-Low into the envelope....
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM

Here's the sample:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id...ng_out_i94.xml

If he's returning to the Netherlands, it looks like he'll have to submit the form's "coupon" at departure (described in link), perhaps you can have someone call him and say that there was a problem w/his form and he has to arrive X hours (depending on how mean you wish to be) early to the airport to clarify. (Choose the most no-nonsense secretary in your office to make the call according to your script.)

cwojo99, I like your style.
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:43 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Actually he lives and works here, so he will be very upset if he thinks he's being deported. Maybe I'll say in my letter that we are deporting him for the speeding ticket he recently got.

Thanks for the info and the great ideas, all.
Jan 18th, 2007, 06:14 PM

For passengers arriving from AMS, their I-94 has these questions. I am totally serious.

"Did you smoke pot?"
"Did you pay for sex?"
Jan 19th, 2007, 12:04 AM

You might want to have a look at this from last week's Observer.

Look especially at "Be nice to us when we arrive"

http://travel.guardian.co.uk/article...jan/14/escape3
Jan 19th, 2007, 12:54 AM

Actually the questions about sex and grass are only on forms for people arriving in the so-called "red states."

The rationale is that the people who live there are the ones who complain the loudest about people who do that and how they are "endangering family values."

Therefore they are also the ones who are most likely to have gone out of the country to engage in such where they think God won't see them doing it.
Jan 19th, 2007, 01:00 AM

Here are some authentic questions from a U.S. visa application :

"Have you ever been arrested of convicted for any offense or crime, even through subject of a pardon, amnesty or other similar legal action? Have you ever unlawfully distributed or sold a controlled substance (drug), or been a prostitute or procurer for prostitutes?
[...]

Did you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control violations, subversive or terrorist activities, or any other unlawful purpose? Are you a member or representative of a terrorist organization as currently designated by the U.S. Secretary of State? Have you ever participated in persecutions directed by the Nazi government or Germany; or have you ever participated in genocide?"

Jan 19th, 2007, 03:00 AM

Well, that would not surprise me. In 1960s and 70s they asked "Are you or have you ever been a member of a communist organisation?". I found it profoundly hilarious.
Jan 19th, 2007, 06:37 AM

I seem to recall a question about having been convicted of "a crime involving moral turpitude". My answer must have been correct, because they let me in.

Two other things about the form. It's very easy to put your date of birth in the wrong place, which can lead to an auotmatic blacklisting. Secondly, the birth date has to be in the format day/month/year, which is the usual European format, not the American one.

These forms, and the funny questions, are not a joke, and neither is the fingerprinting and iris scanning, and the searching questions from both immigration and customs. Thank God we have a special relationship.
Jan 19th, 2007, 07:09 AM

It looks like you have been duped and revenge is surely in order. I would think twice about sending sweet and low or any other powder through the mail since you could end up in serious trouble for that one but sending him to the airport a few hours early to deal with a "problem" had me chuckling. Don't get mad, get even. Enjoy your revendge.
Jan 19th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Amusing though these discussion points are one of my engineers answered the
Have you ever been arrested of convicted for any offence or crime, even through subject of a pardon, amnesty or other similar legal action? Have you ever unlawfully distributed or sold a controlled substance (drug), or been a prostitute or procurer for prostitutes?
question with a no. He was then deported because he had received a speeding ticket in the uk some 5 years before and is banned from returning. As a result we had to "let him go" as US is a major market. You might ask why did he not say "yes" well in the UK a speeding ticket is not seen as a crime but a misdemeanour.

Sucj is the interlacing of UK information systems with US systems, and now EU systems individuals get squashed.

Still at least terrorists can still fly eh.
Jan 19th, 2007, 07:31 AM

I have noticed that people trying too hard to see stupidity or malevolence in everything American end up looking pretty stupid themselves sooner or later. Maybe your friend is in this category?
Jan 19th, 2007, 07:47 AM

Eric - is this condition related to that of people constantly seeing "anti Americanism" where it is not obviously apparant ?

I have always thought the "Did you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control violations, subversive or terrorist activities, or any other unlawful purpose?" clause to be clever.

You don't have to go through a lengthy court process to deport somebdy, you merely need to prove that they have broken the conditions of entry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO