Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question-car insurance/rental for France and Italy

Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I know this subject has been beaten to death, however after talking to the Visa people about their CDW policy I have some new info/dilemma.

Background: I've had numerous car rental quotes from Nova carhire, Auto Europe, Kemwel, etc. Nova carhire is $250 cheaper for the 3 rentals I want to do than all the others and so far no one is matching their price. However, Nova carhire includes CDW/theft insurance less a deductible that I would have to pay.

I have a Platinum Visa w/Etrade and they have a very good CDW policy. Unlike what others seem to be finding, this one covers Italy. I'm planning to rent a car in Italy and France.

When I spoke with Visa they said that their policy recently changed for Italy. Because Italy mandates CDW/theft insurance Visa has agreed that for Italy only, they will be a secondary insurance provider. In other words, I have a wreck the insurance that came with the car covers some portion and Visa will cover the rest. So I'm good to go with Nova carhire for Italy.

However, because France has no such law they will only be Primary. Meaning if I have a wreck they want to pay it all, and will not just pay the deductible. (I don't understand why, seems like they would get out cheaper if they were a secondary.)

I don't think there is a way to decline insurance with Nova carhire.

My questions for renting in France:

a. Has anyone that has used Nova carhire tried to decline insurance?

b. Can I decline insurance at the local rental place or is it already written on the car rental agreement that I have insurance thru Nova carhire?

I'm guessing my options for France if I use Nova carhire and have an accident are:

a.File with Nova carhire and eat the deductible

b. Buy Nova's excess deductible insurance ($9 USD/day) and pay nothing if I have an accident

c. Try to file with Visa and see what happens

Thanks for any advice, my apologies for the length of this
Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:54 AM

Seeing that you're not getting a response, I'll give it a try...

When I've had questions such as you have, I turned to Andy or Bob Bestor at
http://www.gemut.com - 800-521-6722.

Not only will they be able to advise you, they'll match any other quote if you send it to them.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:44 AM

For France:
Number one, find out what the deductable is. It usually goes up with the value of the car.

If the CDW is only $9 per day, that's dirt cheap and I would jump on it if the deductable is reasonable.

For Italy:
I don't believe you have any option other than to take the insurance from the car rental service.

I'm not familiar with Nova, but if you can get a guaranteed quote in writing, AutoEurope will match it. I would suggest doing that.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:23 PM

I didn't see how long you wanted the rental. I did a Kemwel Lease/Buyback that beat all prices for a straight rental with CDW. The Lease includes 100% insurance coverage..rentals always have some not covered. You might want to check it out. You have to pay for the 17 day minimum, but you can turn it in early
Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:30 PM

You might look into travel insurance, some policies for which cover car rental. Check them out at insuremytrip.com.
Jun 4th, 2007, 07:39 PM

I urge caution on the CDW and other options.

Check out exactly what each option covers and whether there is any deductible, not just whether you have "coverage" in a particular country.

My recent experience in France is that you can either buy CDW or Super CDW. The former reduces your responsibility for collision to a stated sum less than the full value of the car, but nevertheless hundreds or thousands of Euros - varies by car type - whereas the latter reduces it to zero. 9 Euros per day sounds cheap to me, so I'll bet that's a quote for the CDW, not super CDW, and you'll still be responsible for a hefty amount.

At many rental companies, theft and vandalism waiver is offered similarly, and may be packaged with the CDW or Super CDW.

When considering your credit card's benefit or the benefit of a travel insurance policy, check to see if that will cover "loss of use" as well as the repair of the car -- when I read the benefits carefully, I often found no mention of "loss of use", but you'll probably find that you're responsible for the rental company's loss of use of the damaged car plus the cost of its repair or replacement under the rental agreement, and the "loss of use" can be hefty.

I decided the extra price of the SuperCDW was worth not having to worry about fine print in the the credit card agreement or the travel insurance policy and the hassle that might arise if I had an accident or the car was stolen.

Jun 5th, 2007, 12:54 PM

The lowest deductible in France for the smallest car is 500€ and the amount goes up very quickly (1000€ for a category C, for example).

At the moment I am waiting for a reply from Europcar after having my side view mirror ripped off by a passing Belgian tour bus (which kept going) 30 minutes after I had rented a car about a month ago. Since I didn't have the full CDW, naturally Europcar debited my credit card for 500€. I have written them a letter mentioning the fact that an electric powered side view mirror on the model of car I was driving retails for 89€ and labor should be well under 100€ so I am expecting at least 300€ back from them. No reply yet. (It's been maybe 2 weeks since I wrote.)

A similar event happened to me with a Hertz car about 15 years ago, and Hertz refunded the difference -- that was a night time smash, parked on the street.

Remember to fold in those mirrors when you park the car.