Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question: can I check baggage at Vienna Wein-Mitte? THIS WEEK

Old May 13th, 2001, 07:28 PM
Doug Kelner

We're passing through Vienna for only a few hours. Will be arriving by plane and departing later in the day by train from the Sudbahnhof. We are thinking about taking either the train or bus to the central Wein-Mitte and check our bags there for the day (while we sightsee a few hours) before heading down to the Sudbahnhof. Are there lockers or facilities to check our bags at Wein-Mitte for the day? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug.

Old May 14th, 2001, 06:11 AM
doug

topping

Old May 14th, 2001, 09:03 AM
doug

desparately topping

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Phil

Doug:

I don't remember seeing luggage lockers at Wien Mitte, I might however be wrong, as I tried to leave that gloomy S-Bahn type station as soon as possible.

There is a major interurban bus terminal just on top Wien Mitte, and I think there should be lockers or a left-luggage office up there.

I suggest that you take the bus (or if loaded with many suitcases a cab) from Vienna airport to Wien S°udbahnhof. there are lockers and a left luggage office inside that station. this way you wouldn't have to pick up your luggage and tranfer to the railway station you will be leaving Vienna from.

You can easily get to the city centre from Südbahnhof by taking the "D" streetcar line (I think, you asked a similar question a few weeks ago??).

Hope this helps

Phil.

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:50 AM
doug

Hi Phil.
Thanks very much for your response. Yes I asked this question months ago and I was all set to bus it to Sudbahnhof and take the tram as you suggested. A friend then suggested that we bus and/or train to the center (Wein-Mitte),leave the bags there, do our sightseeing thing, then collect the bags and transfer to Sudbahnhof.

The advantage is that we save time since we would arrive in the center of the city and can kick off our limited sightseeing time there rather than going first to Sudbahnhof and taking the tram. Disadvantage is transferring from Wien-Mitte to Sudbahnhof with luggage at 6:30pm. We are trying desparately to keep our luggage to a minimum (maybe carry-on size for 2-3 weeks!)

Given all this, what do you think?

Thanks -

P.S. We leave in 2 days! It's been a long time planning.