Question about York - transport within the city

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We are taking a day trip to York from London. The main purpose is to visit the National Rail Museum. But I would also like to go see maybe one or two sites, notably the York Minster if possible. How do we get there from the train station? Are there buses of frequent intervals or do we need to take a cab?

I also read Betty's Tea room have the best scones. Do we need reservations to eat there, maybe for lunch?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM

You don't need any transportation when you arrive at the York train station, other than your two feet. All of the historical attractions are within walking distance.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM

York Minister is walking distance from the train stn. There's a tourist information office in the station, ask them for a map and directions. If you prefer to take a taxi, take one from the taxi stand at the train stn.

York Minister sell two different tickets, one include admission to the underground areas of the Church, this cost more but I'd recommend it. You can see the foundation of the original Church. Deceide which ticket you'd prefer and then purchase the ticket.

York is a historic city, the city still has the orginal Roman walls intact.

Walking around York can be confusing, street wind all over the place. Make sure you have a map and be prepared to get lost.

I would also visit the Shambles.

The Rail Museam is opposite the train stn, you can easily walk there.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM

sorry- for the bad grammar I didn't proof read.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:50 PM

When I went to the rail museum I was with my (80+) parents so we took a cab from the station--I think it's a few miles. There's probably a bus--station is fairly small, they can direct you. The museum is fantastic and well worth several hours but you should have time to get back in to see the minster and a bit of the walled part of the town. On a day trip last year we drove as far as a park and ride lot and took the bus in from the lot. I was really miffed that the minster now has a stiff admission charge-somewhere between 5-8 pounds, can't remember, which we decided not to pay as we had been before. It is lovely and you can get a peak from the side entrance where there is a chapel on the street side before the ticket booths. I realize they have to get funds for upkeep but it was disappointing. I would have paid if it were my first time there. Am sure they do not charge to attend a service if your timing is right. Am not sure Betty's takes reservations--it's an experience and very easy walk from the minster.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Sorry, my memory must be way off--I thought the rail museum was quite far out.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 02:08 PM

This is a copy and paste from the museum website:

"The Museum is only a few minutes walk from York railway station. Turn left on leaving the station, pass the Le Meridien Hotel then turn left into Leeman Road. Continue through the underpass to the City Entrance situated on the left as you exit. The route is signposted from the station.

There is now a direct route to the museum via the station footbridge (please note that this is not suitable for the disabled or pushchairs)."

York is a great town for walking. It's not large at all and even if you do get lost, that's half the fun. As for York Minster, do climb up the tower for a great view of the town!

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I didn't know how big the city centre is so wasn't sure if the distances are walkable.

If we can't get into Betty's, can anyone recommend cheap eats for lunch and dinner? Thanks again.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 06:12 PM

There are 2 Betty's, Betty's and Little Betty's, both in the medieval center of York. There might be a line, but it moves pretty fast. How many of you are there?

You can look up a map of central York on one of the mapping sites like www.multimap.com and check the walking distances.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 06:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just to let you know - you can walk just about around all of central York up on the Medieval city walls -- and the walls are directly across the street from the train station. It is a VERY small city. The entire area w/i the city walls is less than a mile across.

And the Railway Museum is less than 1/4 mile from the city walls. So as everyone says - absolutely no reason for any transport other than comfortable shoes.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mimar for the web link! This is great because I've been looking for a site that calculates walking distances.

There's only two of us and hopefully we can grab a quick lunch or dinner there.

I'm really glad to know that York is a small city and the couple of places I want to see is within walking distances. All your replies are greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM

Cathinjoetown

your memory might not be off, an unscrupulous driver may have taken you on a 2 mile ride and dropped you off at he museum.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:21 PM

Hi
At York station there are lots of signs (very difficult to miss)showing you the pedestianised walk to the Railway Museum. There are a few steps to negotiate but that's all - will take you a maximum of 5 minutes.
The Museum is terrific, my only issue being that the food on sale in it isn't that great. However there are picnic areas inside and out, so you could easily take your own food. Allow yourself plenty of time as there's loads to see.
Outside the Museum there is the Yorkshire Wheel.
www.nrm.org.uk/events/wheel.asp
Betty's is all about the whole experience - not just the scones if you know what I mean. They also sell great gifts (beautifully packaged teas, coffees etc). As far as I am aware they don't do reservations and there's often a queue at peak times, but it usually moves fairly fast.
Cafe Concerto nr the Minster does good lunchtime snacks if Betty's is too busy.
www.cafeconcerto.biz
I live near York so let me know if you think I can help with anything else.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 03:06 PM

Thanks sashh--your comment makes me feel slightly better. Also, my mom remembered we took the taxi from our hotel but it was right across the street from the minster so really not much farther than from the station. Oh well, possibly we got taken 'round the houses and around a very real one-way system and also quite possible my memory is worse than my mother's, now 90+!!!
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Morgana for your Cafe Concerto recommendations. Will Betty's or Cafe Concerto do takeouts? We have to catch the train back to London and may not have time for sit-down dinner.

Are there any pastry/bakery shop you would recommend? How about ice cream shop?

Thanks.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 08:36 AM

York sounds interesting. I'll be in London in the the Spring 2009 and am looking for day trips from London, and York definitely fits. Is there enough in York to merit more than a day trip? I'm open to all suggestions for things to see and do; I do enjoy museums, pubs, brewerys/distillerys (tours), and walking.

If York is worth more than a day trip, any suggestions for lodging? I'll be travelling by myself, and will not have a car.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 12:27 AM

The great thing about York is the fact that you can walk to pretty much all the main attractions and areas of the city. If you arrive by train then you will already be in the city centre and its releativley easy to navigate round the city.

If you are looking for things to do then check out the tourist board website http://www.visityork.org/ for suggestions. Also if you need accommodation the http://www.roomsinyork.com has a pretty good selection.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 03:05 AM

We went to the York Rail museum the weekend before last, with our young grandson. It couldn't be nearer to the railway station, it's signposted but you can't miss it - just head towards the big wheel. It must be 25 years since we went with our own children and I was very impressed - even as someone who doesn't get very excited about trains. The museum is free to enter, which is great.

There are a couple of places to eat on the site, a small cafe and "Brief Encounters" in the Station Hall which looked good and served meals as well as some tasty looking cakes, etc.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Maria and fa2008, thanks for your post. We are leaving for London in less than 3 weeks and I am so positive that for my husband, the highlight of this trip is a visit to the York Train Museum and the American Air Museum in Duxford.

Kaneohe, I've done some readings about what I'll do in York while my husband spends the whole afternoon in the Train Museum. I love historical building and so for sure I'm going to the York Minster and possibly getting into the tour.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 06:43 AM

I did the RAF museum at Duxford just a few months back. Is he is going by train to Cambridge then the bus? If, so allow 50 minutes to and from the station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -