Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Question about weather in Italy in September/October (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/question-about-weather-in-italy-in-september-october-608713/)

Kiddo Apr 18th, 2006 03:01 PM

Question about weather in Italy in September/October

Hi all,

I asked this question in another thread but didn't get any replies, so I hope you don't mind my starting another thread.

My husband and I are trying to decide whether to go to Italy in September or October. Originally we were planning on October to coincide with a certain birthday milestone of mine (the less said about that one the better!), but now my husband is concerned that the weather will be less than favourable. I've checked the monthly averages and see that October has the highest amount of precipitation after November. We're from Canada, so we're used to cold; however, we obviously would prefer to have good weather.

While I know weather forecasting is unreliable, even from day to day, I'm hoping some of you who have travelled to Italy in October can advise me what kind of weather you encountered. We're obviously not looking to sun bathe, but would prefer just pleasant temperatures for sightseeing.

Thank you in advance.

Kiddo

JandaO Apr 18th, 2006 03:10 PM

Hello,
I have been to Italy in Sept/Oct 3 times. I have never needed a sweater. It was warm and a bit muggy. Do bring an umbrella....

walkinaround Apr 18th, 2006 03:15 PM

i've been to italy (central areas) several times in both sept and oct. both months had great weather. the main difference was:

swimming in an unheated pool in oct is uncomfortable for most

make sure you have heat in your place if you are there in oct and aircon might be needed for sept but less likely in oct. i only mention heat because many places to stay may not have heat if they are seasonal (eg many agriturismos).

traveldawg Apr 18th, 2006 03:15 PM

We traveled to Italy at the end of September, beginning of October, a few years ago. Weather was great for the entire trip. May have had some rain, but the two weeks overall were fantastic.

Good advice above on the umbrella. We have been to Germany in June with ZERO rain and then back again in June next year and too much rain. You never know. Always plan an inside event each day and you are okay......wine tasting in Tuscany ain't that bad!

Statia Apr 18th, 2006 04:25 PM

I was in Italy the last week of October, 2005 and found the weather to be lovely (and I live in a tropical climate).

It was generally in the 50's during the day and a pullover sweater was plenty. At times we needed a jacket at night, but only a light one. Rain was predicted every day of our stay, but we never saw a drop, although it was cloudy most days.

We found it to be a great time of year for traveling in Italy. Less crowds and no heat. :)

Kiddo Apr 18th, 2006 05:38 PM

Thank you for your replies.

I just checked Rome's averages for October and they're 71/53, so maybe we should plan for September -- 71 would be perfect, but 53 sounds a little cool for my taste. I don't want to go on vacation and be cold -- hey I can have that at home!

Grandma Apr 19th, 2006 03:14 PM

I'd take that umbrella and a sweater... and something cotton. We've traveled to Italy in Sept/Oct many times and weather was unpredictable..... just like home, New York City. In fact, we've found that if it's unseasonably cold or hot here it's likely to be the same in Italy. Don't worry... you will have a grand time even if it pours rain! (Which, indeed, has happened to us -:)

nytraveler Apr 19th, 2006 06:17 PM

Italy is way warmer than Canada. Unless you're high in the mountains in the north even late October is still warmish - and the most you'll need is a cotton sweater and light jacket.

sandi_travelnut Apr 19th, 2006 06:21 PM

Been twice during that timeframe and loved the weather. Mornings and evenings we needed a sweater but during the day it was beautiful, like in the 70's. It rained only a few days and that was normally at night.