Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   question about termini (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/question-about-termini-672726/)

hamanchad Jan 22nd, 2007 02:52 PM

question about termini

going to cruise from cit. for 12 days. 2 day stay in rome beforehand. best things to
do? where does your luggage go on the train
to rome from airport does it stay with you by your seat? which neighborhoods are good and safe to get a hotel in--termini area?
thanks

ira Jan 23rd, 2007 05:04 AM

ttt

Travelnut Jan 23rd, 2007 05:37 AM

Hi there... from what I've been reading, most areas of Rome where tourists go are very safe. You should just be wary of pickpockets for the most part. There are a lot of hotels in the area by Termini - how much do you want to spend for a room, and for how many people in the room?

You can look at hotel options using your travel dates and read customer comments about them at:
www.venere.com

For things to do, you can read online at Fodors.com or Frommers.com under "Destinations" for Rome.

I think a large suitcase usually has to go in a holding area by the entry to the train-car. A carryon size usually can go on a rack over your head. But I haven't taken the airport express so maybe someone else can answer that question.

hamanchad Jan 23rd, 2007 05:53 AM

travenut

thanks for your help. i am booked
in the termini station area just wanted
some more re-assurance of the area. i have been on the sites you mentioned.
also thanks for the tip on the luggage,i was wondering how difficult it is to take train if you have a lot of luggage.

thanks again

Travelnut Jan 23rd, 2007 06:02 AM

As I mentioned above, I haven't been on or seen the configuration for the airport train.... I found this comment on a post on Tripadvisor:
"...Also, on trains one needs to do a quite a bit of lifting of one's luggage up the train steps from the platform to the train and then 7ft off the ground to the luggage racks over the passenger seats. If the train isn't too crowded and there are several areas of open seats, you can actually push your luggage into the empty spaces, however, usually the locals don't do this..."

Dukey Jan 23rd, 2007 06:17 AM

Be mindful of pickpockets in some areas of the Termini station itself.

jannefr Jan 23rd, 2007 06:19 AM

Rome is a safe city, dont' worry... just some pickpockets here and there... the train from the airport to termini station (the "leonardo express") is a normal train: you can have it with you by your seat, or let it on the luggage deposit at the entrance. There is a lot of things to do in Rome, dont' miss the colosseum, the tiberine island, the pantheon quarter, a drink in trastevere... in termini area the Meridiana hotel is a good one, but take a look also at the hotel in the esquilino area... check by the website nycerome.com, they have a lot of pictures and a page "what to see" for each area, with a lot of information about the monuments...

hamanchad Jan 23rd, 2007 06:27 AM

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP. WE
ARE IN THE KENNEDY HOTEL AND I THINK
I WILL STAY WITH THAT. I HAVE EMAILED
THEM AND THEY HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL.

THANKS AGAIN

Luisah Jan 23rd, 2007 08:57 AM

I stayed one night in the Kennedy and it wasn't bad at all. I was alone and my room was small, but clean, quiet and comfortable. The breakfst isn't fabulous but there was plenty of food and coffee. The staff was friendly and helpful.

I didn't go wandering around the neighborhood at night and was very happy to have such a short walk to Termini.