Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Question about socks - probably the dumbest question ever put on this message board! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/question-about-socks-probably-the-dumbest-question-ever-put-on-this-message-board-97269/)

Ang Dec 22nd, 2000 10:55 AM

Question about socks - probably the dumbest question ever put on this message board!

Ok, I know this is a really dumb question...but I'll ask it anyway....I heard once from someone that Europeans do not wear white socks (unless for playing sports). Also, that they actually think Americans look goofy in white socks. Is that true? <BR> <BR>I told you it was dumb...don't say I didn't warn you!

diva Dec 22nd, 2000 11:00 AM

I don't know what Europeans think about white socks but i know they think americans are goofy for wearing tennis shoes period. They do only wear these for sports. <BR> <BR>Personally I live in the US and never wear white socks except with tennis shoes. I rarely wear tennis shoes either unless going to aerobics class or working out. My idea of very casual wear is jeans with a a nice sweater and medium/high heel black boots. the problem is I hear jeans aren't even worn that much in the cities of Europe!

Ang Dec 22nd, 2000 11:12 AM

Thanks for replying! When I dress casually in the fall and winter I wear the same thing, sweater, jeans, black or brown boots with a chunky heel. But I'm going to Europe in the summer and I usually wear summery skirts/dresses or shorts (which I hear that I shouldn't wear shorts into Museums or churches there...not like I do that here either though...). My problem is that I usually wear sandles and I can't imaging wearing them for hours and hours of walking. So I'll probably wear shoes that lace...(warning you...back to the dumb questions) what color socks am I supposed to wear???

Rex Dec 22nd, 2000 11:14 AM

Here are some people that can, should and do wear white socks: <BR> <BR>Tennis players <BR> <BR>Nurses <BR> <BR>People who wear white pants <BR> <BR>People with great looking tan legs, short shorts and classy looking athletic shoes <BR> <BR>Presidents with pasty white legs, too short shorts, and I dont remember what his shoes looked like <BR> <BR>Plumbers <BR> <BR>Emeril Lagasse <BR> <BR>Anyone who wants to <BR> <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Ang Dec 22nd, 2000 11:20 AM

Sure, whatever you say Rex. I agree with some....

Mickey Dec 22nd, 2000 11:43 AM

Okay, I'm going to say this once and then be quiet. I know quite a few Europeans in cities. Many of them wear jeans and sneakers for casual wear. They are not teenagers. Perhaps they are not Parisian fashion plates, but they do live in cities ranging from Frankfurt to Perugia to Copenhagen to Edinburgh. And they generally have better things to worry about than what tourists wear on their feet.

mippyjsmiff Dec 22nd, 2000 11:48 AM

I can only assume that those of you who claim that Europeans never wear tennis shoes and white socks have stopped over in European airports and never disembarked from the plane. Europeans DO wear tennis shoes (or trainers or athletic shoes or whatever each country calls them) and do wear white socks. Teens and college students wear a ton of the tennies, as well as a large cross-section of the population. The myth that Europeans don't wear tennis shoes may be the all-time stupidest assumption about Europeans ever created. For a hint, go study Nike's overseas sales statistics for the European market. <BR>And just don't get me started on Europeans not wearing jeans...God, you guys, get off the plane for once and walk around. It's not that different from the US.

Ang Dec 22nd, 2000 11:48 AM

thank you so much for putting me in my place Mickey. Apparently you need to go back and reread what I wrote. I do not want to look like an ugly American. So what! So I guess I'm a self absorbed little bitch for caring what other people think of me. I'm not obsessed with what I look like or how I dress but I do not like to look like an idiot either...so sue me.

Tony Hughes Dec 22nd, 2000 11:51 AM

Diva - what absolute rubbish.

diva Dec 22nd, 2000 11:54 AM

Maybe I'm the only one on this board like that but yes I do like to be fashionable at all times and i will take your question seriously! <BR> <BR>Ang - I see your dilemma, I guess I hadn't thought about that. I went to <BR>England and Ireland this past June though and I'll tell you it was so cold there I wore long pants and jeans everyday so this wasn't a problem. (In June it was 55-65F evryday, I'm used to 80F by June!) <BR> <BR>Anyway, if you are going some place warm enough to wear shorts and skirts, I would suggest spending time on comfy sandals, they can be found otherwise maybe a pair of mules without socks? I guess if lace ups are the only choice, I sould go for come platforms athletic shoes, but they are white and yes I guess you would have to wear white socks, sorry I couldn't help more!

Ang Dec 22nd, 2000 12:13 PM

Thanks for your help Diva. I do appreciate it. We must be of the few on this board that actually cares about fashion.

Mippyjsmiff Dec 22nd, 2000 12:17 PM

Dear Ang, <BR>I don't think I insinuated that you were self-absorbed, but I think you just proved the "bitch" part on your own. <BR>Why are Americans so worried about appearing like...gasp, Americans? Guess what, you ARE Americans and no matter what you dress up in, you will still be an American. All you have to do is open your mouth and every European who knows English will assume that you are an American. And I ask you, what's wrong with that?

Rex Dec 22nd, 2000 12:17 PM

Ang, <BR> <BR>Be as fashionable as you want. That certainly won't make you an "ugly American". Speaking English might - - do you plan not to do that? <BR> <BR>No question about it, Europeans of every socioeconomic level wear all kinds of socks and shoes at various times. You haven't even mentioned what countries you are planning to visit (not on this thread, anyway), but I am guessing that you are going to some places where there are lots of tourists. From every country. And guess what - - they wear the same clothes when they travel to Europe that they wear in their respective countries. You will see Japanese wearing white socks, shaped to conform to their big toe. No one will call them ugly Japanese. Unless they have five cameras around their necks. <BR> <BR>And I wouldn't be surprised if Emeril wears his white socks in any restaurant or food market, or cathedral or museum he chooses to visit. It seems safe to assume that it is not what most people discuss with him, when they see him. <BR> <BR>If the lace-up shoes you plan to wear are lighter in color than a grocery bag, I think white socks will work. If you plan to wear platform athletic shoes from www.delias.com, as diva suggests - - and assuming you're not over 23 years old, then your socks can be anything they sell! <BR> <BR>If you wear pastel colored Ralph Lauren shirts, I bet you can find color color-coordinated socks. And socks do come in ecru, khaki, beige, cranberry, heather and a lot of other understated colors. <BR> <BR>Just think, you have six whole months to shop!

Tony Hughes Dec 22nd, 2000 12:18 PM

Yes Ang but you asked that dumb question, didn't you. <BR> <BR>Diva - come visit Europe, it's great!

Christina Dec 22nd, 2000 12:19 PM

I think I was deciding what color of socks I should wear myself by the time I was six years old.

diva Dec 22nd, 2000 12:23 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone for bashing those of us who care about fashion. <BR> <BR>By the way, I have been to Europe and loved it! I am not some young airhead either! I am 30 years old and a professional (doctor) I just happen to care alot about this type of thing. Also just so you know I have shopped at Delia's before!

john Dec 22nd, 2000 12:28 PM

Regarding jeans - just as I have purged my closet of the Gap and Banana Republic, so have I of jeans. When the New York Times says denim is stylish then you know for sure it's not. Problem I'm having is finding dress casual pants that don't look as if I belong in the office or like some brainless fashionista victim (you know who you are) You would not believe how many people I see on the subway wearing white gym socks with dress shoes - talk about hickish (whoa doggidy - I'm in the big City!!!). Of course, I still remember being in Paris and seeing this fabuously dress woman (to the 9's) driving a rusted Yugo - I wish Americans could have such pinosh?-pinash?

Tony Hughes Dec 22nd, 2000 12:33 PM

christina - brilliant! <BR> <BR>Diva, Rick Steves lies! you can care all you like but I get the feeling you didnt look at many Europeans as (in your words) 'europeans think americans are goofy for wearing tennis shoes period'.

Rex Dec 22nd, 2000 12:44 PM

John, <BR> <BR>At last, something I actually know something about: words! <BR> <BR>Panache.

rlk Dec 22nd, 2000 01:19 PM

Ah, but there are those who say the only 'dumb' question is the unasked question. <BR> <BR>White socks or no? Whether 'tis better to opt for comfort or to forego the sneaker & HOSE altogether & risk the blister factor. I'm guessing the overall 'look' also includes shorts, with the tennis shoes & socks ??? <BR>I know you're not wearing dark pants & white socks. <BR> <BR>Well, since I always travel to Europe during spring or fall, I'm usually do not wear shorts at all -- and even when it's to a warm climate, I either prefer to wear a light weight slack or a skirt. <BR> <BR>From what I've seen in Italy, some do wear tennis shoes however not as many as you see in the States. As for the sock issue, I've never raised anyone's pant leg to get a really good look. Hmmm - maybe I need to be paying closer attention. <BR>