Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question about Siena, Monteriggioni, Colle Val d'Elsa, and San Gimignano

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are training from Lake Como to Siena in mid-May. I'm assuming it will take a good portion of the day as we will have several connections. We will arrive Siena on Friday afternoon where we are staying at Villa Scacciapensieri just outside the city for three nights, with a rental car reserved in Siena for pick up on Saturday morning.

My thinking: Friday night and either Saturday or Sunday to see Siena. The other day to visit Monteriggioni and Colle Val d'Elsa, ending in San Gimignano around 4:00 pm when the crowds go home, and be back in Siena before dark.

We like to browse shops. Are shops closed in all these places on Sunday? Would it be better to visit Siena on Saturday, or travel around on Saturday and visit Siena on Sunday?

Do any of these towns have market days on Saturday or Sunday?

We will drive to Pienza and stay there for four nights after Siena.

Thanks, Diane.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 05:39 PM

I'll throw my two cents in and try to be of help. San Gimignano and Siena will have plenty of shops open on Sunday but each might have public places/museums and such operating with limited hours. Monteriggioni is extremely small with only a few shops inside the walls--mostly stuff available everywhere--and I'm uncertain of Sunday hours. Colle Val D'Elsa is a very nice and very traditional town which will honor traditional hours of commerce--noon time closing of 2+ hours and very limited Sunday hours.
I think you have a good plan in visiting the three towns in the order you have suggested but I would definitely plan to stay later in San Gimignano and not worry about leaving before dark. The tourists don't depart until then and the stores will be open until 7:30 or 8 and it is very pleasant then. Perhaps saving Siena for Sunday would be best as most all things will be open in the city on that day.
I know of no markets in any of these places which take place on the weekend.
Paul
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Paul, for your advice.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 06:22 PM

I am not sure it matters. Both towns are geared to the tourist trade and will have places open. I would leave town on the Sat. and try hard to include Volterra. From your car pickup you can be in Monteriggioni in :20 and then take S-68 to Volterra, saving San Gim. for last. See Siena on Sunday. Buy some alabaster in Volterra.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

I've seen other comments on Volterra. What is special about it? My friend and I enjoy browsing shops, so that is important, but the main interest for me is photography. I don't think we can hit four locations in one day. We have choices of Monteriggioni, Volterra, San Gimignano, and Colle Val d'Elsa. Which ones are the most scenic? Thanks.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:27 PM

Hi, We liked Volterra because it wasn't as touristy as S. Gimignano. I found the shops in S. G. boring. The same old trinkets geared for the tacky tourist. Volterra had some beautiful alabaster and we purchased 2 bronzed sculptures from the artist. We had coffee in a shop with a glass floor that looked down into the old ruins underneath it. Very cool. I found Volterra very pretty and quaint. If you are into Photography I think you might prefer it too. Many people don't continue driving up the road to Volterra and the tour buses don't make a stop there
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:28 PM

Also when in Pienza make sure to eat at Latte Luna.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

I did a search on the board for Latte Luna and it appears that many people recommend this restaurant. Lots of other restaurant recommendations, too.

A couple of years ago we went to Paris armed with a list of restaurants from this board. They were all excellent suggestions and my friend will no longer eat somewhere during our travels not recommended by a Fodorite!

Thanks. Diane
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Re: Latte Luna in Pienza--reservations are a must! I've been to Pienza twice and have been closed out each time, it looks great though. Have eaten well in spite of the disappointment.
Re: Volterra. Part of the charm is its distance off the beaten track. It will take 25/30 mins. driving past San Gimignano through some fabulous rolling and hilly countryside to get there. Then it emerges from the horizon on a high promontory with very solid walls, quite impressive. It reeks of etruscan and roman history. We were there twice last May and the countryside was spectacular with green hills and lots of poppies. A very pleasant escape. Paul
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 06:58 AM

I would drop Colle from that list---Volterra is much more a true medieval town and a former Etruscan city.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

So many towns -- so little time. A third friend was considering traveling with us, but friends of hers told her more than three days in Tuscany would be boring. She decided not to join us. I can't imagine being bored. I just wish we had another four or five days to explore.

Thanks all.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:28 AM

If your friend would be bored after 3 days I think you should be glad she cancelled. I don't think I've ever been bored while travelling, thats what books are for.