Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Question about Ramadan and Travelling in Western Turkey

Question about Ramadan and Travelling in Western Turkey

Sep 8th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Question about Ramadan and Travelling in Western Turkey

DH and I are going to be in Turkey in late October -- and after everything was booked, I looked at the calendar and realized that Ramadan starts Oct. 27, a couple of days after we arrive there and five days before we leave.

Have any of you been to Turkey during this time, and is there anything we should be careful about? My understanding is that it's rude to eat in front of a fasting Muslim, but other than that -- it's no big deal.

Also, any women out there who have travelled with their husbands (or for that matter -- without) in Turkey -- I'd appreciate any advice or words of wisdom if it differs from being in Rome or anywhere else.

Thanks,

Julie in Denver, USA
Sep 8th, 2003, 06:27 PM

I have traveled in Turkey but not during Ramadan and I would only recommend dressing conservatively. That is being sure your arms (short sleeves are fine) & legs are covered for visiting mosques. However, I was in Morocco during Ramadan. The only specific thing I remember our tour guide saying was not to smoke in public (really makes the men unhappy!). Otherwise, we were, of course, eating in hotels, etc. You will see every type of dress imaginably in Turkey. I just noticed it was fairly conservative. In Morocco, Ramadan didn't change any of our plans.
Sep 8th, 2003, 07:36 PM

I was in Morocco during Ramadan once and it was not as much fun as It would have been normally. Hyatt Regency Casablanca removed all liquor from mini bars, restaurants were closed as were cafes and the like. The night life however was like day time every thing wwas going on all night long.
During Ramadan it is against the relgion t put anything in your outh from sun up to sun down. No smoking, no eating, no kissing and no teeth brushing ( a lovely experience in MOrocco) . In restaurants you will see people sitting with food in front of them waiting for the call to break the fast at sundown.
While a slight hindrence to a vacation you can learn a lot about Islam .

Search this Thread