Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question about purchasing 2 sets of TGV tickets for the same day

Old Jan 16th, 2019, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will take the TGV from CDG to Reims in late August. Our flight lands at 10:35.

Trains depart at 12:44 and 15:07. Tickets cost about $25 each. I might make the first departure (we have checked bags). I have no issues with purchasing tickets for both departures. However, will the Trainline/sncf site let me do this??? As I recall, both of our names need to be entered to purchase the tickets. Will they reject the second?

Tickets for Jan 17 trains are about $45 - which is what I would pay? if I only purchase purchase tickets for the 12:44 departure, and if I miss the 12:44 and have to wait in line, hope the train is not full (stress!!).

Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Jan 16th, 2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd suggest emailing Trainline and ask if you can book two sets of tickets. I'm assuming you will throw one set (two seats) away? I emailed them late last year and they did reply, though it took a day or two I think. Or you could email the Man in Seat Sixty One, he knows everything about train travel.

Alternatively just book the later train which would cause less stress. Flights are often delayed and it will take a while to get through immigration and customs and collect your bags. You can always find somewhere to sit and wait or have a coffee or something. We find the time at airports just flies, even a wait of a few hours. Better than booking the earlier train and then panicking you will miss it.

Kay
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 05:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Book the later. We did recently for Lille and after waiting in line in Toronto for 1.5 hours to de-ice our plane we were happy we did that. We would have missed the first train.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 05:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You can book as many tickets as you want. They are happy to receive your money.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Opentable will not allow 2 restaurant reservations on the same day for dinner. I thought Trainline/sncf might also - but it is a slightly different situation since you pay Trainline in advance. But I have been surprised about a few French "rules" in the past.

kerouac - have you personally booked tickets for 2 different trains on the same itinerary and on the same day??

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 07:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I would never do such a thing, but since I worked for an airline where people would pay for three tickets for the same day (back in the era when they were easily refundable), I am not at all surprised by the concept. (And they didn't even always ask for a refund.)
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 08:45 AM

Taht wouldn't even make sense if they didn't allow that, lots of times I make more than one train trip in a day. Besides, someone could legitimately do that. It's only an hour train trip. What if they took the train to Reims, then had to drive someone to CDG and then wanted to take the train back to Reims, if they lived there. YOu couldn't do that in that time frame but you could easily do that in the same day.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 09:24 AM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
If still in doubt, presumably the later train is the one you'd buy if you could just buy 1 as it's a relative sure thing. So buy the later, then the earlier. Then you'll know.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 09:08 PM

It's PERFECTLY NORMAL to book TWO sets of advance-purchase tickets to hedge your bets on departure time.

Nobody minds or cares. They are happy to have made more sales.

All this talk of 'permission' or 'emailing to ask' is as much nonsense as walking into a supermarket, buying two apples, walking out, walking back in half an hour later and 'asking permission' to buy two more apples!!!! ;0) The supermarket doesn't care!