Question about public transport in Lyon

Aug 30th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10
Question about public transport in Lyon

My husband and I will be in Lyon for a full month in November and we'll be using public transportation for exploring the city, besides walking. We've searched the TCL (Transports en Commun Lyonnais) site and found out that there is a one month card which is called "passe partout" for 56 euros and gives you access to all public transport. In order to get the card you need to present current ID, photo and proof of residence. Does anyone know if this card is intended for French residents or tourists could also get it? Unfortunately TCL does not list an e mail address for asking them directly and I have already contacted the Lyon Tourist Bureau with the same question but they politely me told me to contact the TCL. I would appreciate any assistance.
scousoula is offline  
Aug 30th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,510
You can use this form to contact TCL by email:

To ask a question about the monthly pass, select "Abonnements" on the drop-down menu for "Motif".
MaineGG is online now  
Aug 30th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 33,656
I think it is supposed to be for actual residents, as they basically subsidize those fares. You should be able to buy one if you have some documents with your local address, though, you obviously don't have to be a citizen. If you are there a month, won't you be renting an apartment? If you have a lease or something with the address, that should work.

IN practice, you can buy the card online and have it mailed to you, and you just need to fill in your local address (which must be in France). So you could apply for that a few days before going and put in your local address and they'd mail you the electronic ard and then you apply your photo to it.

In any case, you have nothing to lose by trying, anyway. The same rules apply to the weekly passes, also, you still need to get that electronic card.
Christina is offline  
Aug 30th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10
Thank you so much for both replies to MaineGG and Christina. I've already forwarded a message to TCL through the form so I am hoping for a reply. I also believe that the card is for locals, that's why I thought I'd ask the forum. Yes, I will have the lease at hand so depending what TCL responds I hope this will be enough. Have a great weekend!
scousoula is offline  
Aug 30th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,510
Good luck with the TCL pass. It would be nice to have for your long stay. We were in Lyon for only a few days and used the trams, metro and funiculars to go everywhere we wanted to go. I'd love to go back for a longer visit.
MaineGG is online now  
Aug 30th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 653
Be sure to take the bus out to Parc de la Tete d'Or. Even in the rain we enjoyed several hours there in May.
d_claude_bear is offline  
Dec 14th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10
Update for the "passe partout" card after our one month in Lyon. Non residents who plan to stay in the city for one month or more can get this card as long as they produce a current photograph, an ID/passport and proof of residence (although we simply stated our rental vacation address and no proof was requested). It's a great way of using one of Europe's best transportation systems.
scousoula is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Jun 13th, 2016 05:48 AM
Oct 28th, 2015 11:26 AM
Africa & the Middle East
Aug 8th, 2008 11:13 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:24 AM.