Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   question about mont ventoux day trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/question-about-mont-ventoux-day-trip-431638/)

lilaki Sep 11th, 2008 05:00 AM

question about mont ventoux day trip

hello fodorites,

can someone please tell me the most logical way to drive to the following destinations in one day?

we will be starting just outside of carpentras from the route de bedoin.

we'd like to hit mont ventoux (the summit - lookout, candy vendors, etc), sault, and gorges de la nesque.

from route de bedoin, do we just head to bedoin? and once in bedoin, what's the better way of getting to the summit? should we head to malaucene (and then go east) or should we go eastward and then west, instead?

thank you!!

TuckH Sep 11th, 2008 05:18 AM

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but...

The Gorges de Nesque are likely to disappoint.

Instead, I suggest the route that includes the stunning village of Brantes.

traveller1959 Sep 11th, 2008 10:59 AM

The Route de Bedoin is the D 974. You drive in the direction of Bedoin. In Souquette, you take the D 224 right to Mormoiron. After Mormoiron, you go left on the D 942 which leads directly into the Gorges de la Nesque. The road ends at the junction with the D1, where you turn right to Sault. From Sault, you take the D164 up to the Mont Ventoux.

When you are pretty high, the road will lead onto the D974. Turn right, up to the summit. Behind the summit, the road leads down to Malaucene. There you turn left onto the D 938 which leads back to Carpentras. Depending on the exact location of your accomodation, you may turn left onto one of those small roads which lead onto the Route de Bedoin.

Certainly, you can make the loop the other way round. It depends a little on the weather. It is pretty cold on the summit and it may be better to be there in the afternoon.

On a warm day, you may drive to Malaucene first to be on the summit at noon and have a picnic in the Gorge de la Nesque later.

It is an easy drive for a day.

P.S. When you are driving up and down the road on the Ventoux, think of the racing cars who drive this road at an average speed of 180 km/h.

In order to visit Brantes, you have to drive a considerable detour.

When you are in the area, I would recommend to pay a visit to Chateau Unang which produces good wines. The owner is a very nice man and the wines (we brought some boxes home) are recommendable.

www.chateauunang.com

StuDudley Sep 11th, 2008 11:55 AM

Drive to Bedoin.

As you approach Bedoin, you'll get a major view of Mt Ventoux. If it is not clear, figure out something else to do.

Drive through Bedoin, passing lots of outdoor cafes. Stop at the Bar au Cours, snare a table & order a cafe creme. One of you walk 2 doors north to the boulangerie for croissants - and have croissants & coffee at the Bar au Cours & watch the bicyclists head up Mt Ventoux. If it's Monday & market day, you won't be able to drive through Bedoin - there is a well-marked bypass.

After breakfast, continue through Bedoin and at a fork in the road (near the tourist office) you'll see a big sign to Mt Ventoux to the right (Maulaucene to the left). Take the road to Mt Ventoux. This is the route all the bike races take.

Continue on to Malaucene after the summit, and then back to Bedoin. The road from Malaucene to Bedoin is quite scenic.

Catch the Gorges de la Nesque via either Flassen or Mormoiron.

After Sault, go on to Montbrun & take a picture of this perched village (no need to visit). Then head west on the D72/D41/D72 (road changes number when it leaves the Drome, enters the Vaucluse, then re-enters the Drome). Drop down & visit Brantes. Continue on to Mollans sur Ouveze & visit the best "lavoir" in Provence (IMO)

Then back to Entrechaux where you'll get a great view of the Chateau (village is a dump).

Then back to Caarpentras, with a small detour at le Barroux to see the chateau. Carromb is a cute town - stop & get a brochure from the tourist office with a walking tour (in English) of the village.

Stu Dudley

lilaki Sep 11th, 2008 12:16 PM

WOW!

thanks to everyone for the information!!

i'll break out my trusty michelin map and start plotting my route.