question about London taxi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question concerns the trunk - oops -"boot" size: Can a taxi handle three large (approximately 28-30-inch) suitcases plus one carryon size (21-inch)? We are four adults who plan a taxi from hotel to coach station (we can keep our smaller carryons on our laps if necessary.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:31 AM

http://www.londonblackcabs.co.uk/
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:39 AM
Bootman4U

I think you might have to consider taking TWO cabs..one for one person and all the luggage and the other for the remaining three riders..others here may have better ideas.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:43 AM

OK, I'll bite: Why on earth are you lugging all that luggage in the first place?
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:46 AM

London taxis (in my opinion the BEST in the world) don't have boots. You will have a tight squeeze with all of that. You may want to have your hotel arrange a car for you. Then you are likely to get a "minivan" which will accommodate you and all your trappings.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:47 AM

As the website ronradio cited states, the average cab fits 5 plus luggage. The bench seat fits three and there are 2 jump seats.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:04 AM

Minicabs tend to be cheaper and you can order a estate car which will accomodate your luggage. They go mileage rather than the meter. The company I normally use is Meadway. You can book a car on http://www.meadway.com and there will be somebody to meet you at the arrival gate. They are very realiable, and even provide you with a booking reference number.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to those that provided legitimate information - as for others, don't yell at me, please! We've never been in a London taxi (and I know they are supposed to be terrific).

We four are VERY experienced travellers who normally do three-week driving tours in Europe (or 10-day cruises in warm climates) ONLY bringing four little rolling carryon size cases plus a little carpetbag each! - it ALL fits in the trunk of a small sedan. This trip we'll be on a lengthy cruise in colder climate, where heavier clothes and layers are neccessary and laundry opportunities are limited to the bathroom sink. We did a trial packing to keep it to our usual luggage but no way. Believe me, we tried
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:44 AM

London cabs have a lot of room in the area where you sit (to accommodate the two jump seats), so if it was just 2 or 3 of you with a lot of luggage, you could fit it up front with you. But when you add the fourth person, you start to take up your luggage space.

As others mentioned, mini-cab services are probably the best option. Check with them to see if an estate car is big enough - the next size up is sometimes called a "peoplemover" (what the English sometimes call a mini-van).
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:50 AM

Kaytee:

You'd do a lot of us a favour if you tried to get all four in.

Black cabs DO have boots, though they're pretty wimpish. But there's also a luggage-holding area in the front, next to the driver. Also, since three can sit on the back bench, and one on a jump seat, we've now got room for luggage where the the other jump seat is. Mincabs, on the other hand, would be breaking the law if they tried all that (though minivans would be fine)

You might all have trouble breathing if you all squeezed in. But you'll probably find there IS the cubic space available.

Try it and tell us how you get on. If it's too horrible, just hail another cab. With the recession in the financial services industry, black cabs are pretty easy to find right now

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 09:05 AM

We have had the cab put some luggage in the front seat with the driver. That might help. The drivers are usually good about fitting luggage for cubic closest packing. We had three adults, two kids and lots of stuff.