Question about Germany and Austria Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend and I are in the process of planning a trip to Munich, Salzburg and Vienna the first couple of weeks in December 2007. How far in advance should we start booking are rooms as I am sure things would fill up quickly during Advent? Any recommendations for hotels in these cities in the 170-200 euro price range? Also any suggested day trips from Salzburg? We are looking forward to the festive atmosphere of the Christmas Markets in these cities! Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 08:06 AM

you can't book too early - most of the hotels have liberal cancellation policies, although maybe it's different in December.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 08:18 AM

How long do you stay in Vienna? If it is three days or more you should try an apartment. We did this and had a great time.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:20 AM

We went to Munich and Salzburg last October and stayed at the following hotels,both of which I highly recommend.

Munich - Hotel Uhland
www.hotel-uhland.de
We paid 86.50 Euro per night, which included a very nice breakfast, internet access, use of bicyles,and parking, as we had rented a car for day trips and the trip to Salzburg. Comes highly recommended here on fodors and the room was spacious, very clean and the service excellent. Loved it so much we are going back in October 2007 at the cost of 89.50 Euro per night by booking directly with the hotel via the internet.

Salzburg - Hotel Via Roma
www.hotelviaroma.com
We paid 69.50 Euro per night for a deluxe double room and are paying 90 Euro per night next October booking directly through the hotel via internet. Very large room, bus stop nearby, very clean, large bathroom, breakfast and parking are included.

I can't help you with Vienna but hope these two suggestions are helpful. I don't know if the prices will be higher in December but both of these hotels are excellent and are close to transportation. I would book as soon as possible as you can always cancel later if you find you need to change. Enjoy.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 10:19 AM

Jan is pretty early. If you book around June, I think you would still be early but if you are sure that you will come, then the earlier the better. Look out for the special offers tied in with advent and ask the hotel. With your budget, you should be able to get a nice hotel room. Check out the Marriott website. There is a new Marriott called the Courtyard Munich City Center which is just near the Central Train station (Hauptbahnhof). It is not in a seedy area. You will be right in the center of the action and a short walk to Marienplatz which is where the main Christmas market will be held. Of course, the rooms will not be German style but American style.
There are actually a few Xmas markets all over the place, each with their own theme but the biggest one is at Marienplatz. Worth looking at are the markets in Schwabing (a district) and in Briennerstrasse - a Medieval market.

If you have time to spare, I would recommend going to the Christmas Market on the Fraueninsel in Chiemsee, slightly more than 1 hr travelling time from Munich. The island is really small and the whole place is filled with stalls. There are a couple of hotels and restaurants. You get there by boat from the mainland. At night, it is lit up with lights all over and it is really romantic. I would spend one night on the island to avoid the hassle of travelling back to Munich at night.

The Christmas market in Salzburg is also nice. If you want to make Munich your base, you could do a day trip to Salzburg. There is a special train ticket called the Bayern ticket which will get you both there and back for around €25 (for both to and fro). You have to return on the same day.

Can't give any recommendations for accommodations in Vienna but it is also beautiful and worth a visit. Fantastic buildings and museums and restaurants.

Fran
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:20 PM

We spent 8 days in Vienna and rented an apartment - it had a full kitchen and was so close to everything - and great folks to deal with - for 100 euro a night. Here's the link http://www.apartment.at/index_eng.ph...chel/0/bilder/

From Salzburg to Vienna, I'd stop to see the Melk Abbey. Mauthausen is a concentration camp outside of Linz.

Make sure you to the adventmarkt at Rathaus. It was awesome; old fashioned and way cool. Another really big one is at Schonbrunn. You can tour the grounds in the afternoon and check out the christmas markt at night.

to tell you the truth, I would probably make Salzburg a day trip and head straight to Vienna.

One tip - get some warm shoes and warm clothing....Dansko would be good - waterproof because it can be drizzly and very cold. Great time to be there though cuz it's light on tourists.