Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Question about Florence Museums (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/question-about-florence-museums-147561/)

Dee Jul 20th, 2001 10:14 AM

Question about Florence Museums

Hi, <BR> <BR>Plan to visit Florence in October and wonder if I need to get tickets to Uffizi and other galleries/museums in advance? While I have a few days to spend in Florence, I'd like to minimize time spent standing in lines. I can't wait to see the Renaissance art! Any advice on this, or on how crowded Florence is in October? Thanks!

Polie Jul 20th, 2001 10:37 AM

Assume that it will be crowded and that there are lines even in pouring rain. <BR>Be sure to make res. for the museums and avoid unecessary waits.

Diane Jul 20th, 2001 10:51 AM

Call this number before 9:30AM on any Mon-Fri to make reservations for the Uffizi and Accademia: 011-39-055-294-883 They will give you a time & a code number. There is a special entrance at both museums (near the bookstore) where you can go at that time, pay your admission and you are in! You'll feel smug walking past the people standing in line, but the best is, no time wasted. The phone call to Italy plus a 3000 lira (per person) reservation fee costs less that the fee you'd pay to any of the websites where you can also make reservationa ahead of time. Otherwise admission to the Uffizi is 15,000 lira (per person). Also, they ask that you pay in cash, so don't plan to use a credit card!

Diane Jul 20th, 2001 10:52 AM

Sorry - should have said 9:30AM Eastern time in the US....I know I tried later once day and only got a recorded message!

lou Jul 20th, 2001 10:56 AM

totally agree with the above poster. there are some web sites that you can book on line afraid i dont have them at hand suggest you check florence museums and the like try www.waf.com <BR>if you are going to milan and plan to see the last supper you MUST have advance reservations they only let in 15 or 20 people every 15 minutes and without reservations you will NEVER get in

Polie Jul 20th, 2001 11:07 AM

Oh, one more thing. We booked for our whole family at one time, then when a few of us opted out, I had to pay their <BR>service charge at the door anyway <BR>(about $5 each for no-shows). So don't bookem if you are not sure they will show up on time.

Deborah Jul 20th, 2001 11:19 AM

You can expect Florence to be VERY crowded in October. <BR>We will be there in October as well and opted to book a guided tour through the Accademia and Uffizi both for around $29 USD per person. <BR>The tour company gets you right in with NO waiting and they give you a background on everything you are seeing which really helps you enjoy what you are looking at. <BR>I consider this well worth the $58 USD it is costing for the two of us. <BR>They also offer these tours at the times that the Museums are least crowded which is also a BIG plus. <BR>You can find out about them at www.mercurio-italy.org or www.amicidelturismo.com. <BR>Good luck and enjoy !!!!!!!!

Linda Jul 20th, 2001 02:13 PM

Diane, <BR> <BR>Is it possible to make a reservation for BOTH the Uffizi and Accademia by phone? If I remember correctly, someone had posted that you can reserve only the Uffizi by phone, and that the only way to make a reservation for the Accademia is via a website called Weekend in Firenze. (I don't have the website right now) Could you clarify this? <BR> <BR>Also, do you need to give them your cc number to hold the reservation? Thanks. <BR> <BR>Ciao.

cmt Jul 20th, 2001 02:30 PM

I was in Florence in Oct. 1997. The line to get into the Uffizzi was long and slow moving. I don't remember any lines to get into the other museums. My favortie art museum in Florence, the Bargello, was uncrowded. (Bargello is limited to sculpture.)

Diane Jul 20th, 2001 03:46 PM

You can reserve both at the same time. I knew our hotel was near the Accademia, so I reserved it for 9AM, and the Uffizi for 3:15PM so we could have lunch in between. We really only spent about 45 min in the Accademia. We got audio tours for the Uffizi, and were happy we did. To be frank, we got overloaded on Madonna and Child and tortured Saints, and skipped a few rooms here and there. The Botticellis were extraordinary.

Linda Jul 20th, 2001 04:03 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Diane! <BR> <BR>

Chris Jul 22nd, 2001 10:25 PM

I used weekendafirenze.com -- pre-paid on the net. It was a little more than calling, but I didn't have to have money ready. You still wait in line, however it's not as long as if you were in the non-reserved line. <BR> <BR>The Accademia is very small, easily done in 30 min (if that, depending on your interest), and it's also VERY crowded. I was there at 8:45 and the line was already around the block. If you reserve tickets, just get in line with the tour groups. <BR> <BR>The Uffizi is very big, but very easy to navigate. Allow a couple of hours, minimum -- of course that depends on how much of a museum person you are. <BR> <BR>Do the Pitti Palace in the morning -- first thing if you can. Some of the galleries close at 12-1pm.

Sonnie Jul 23rd, 2001 06:39 AM

chris - you mentioned Pitti Palace? What is Pitti Palace? Is it a must see? <BR> <BR>Another question, how do you know which line is the line for people without reservations and which line is the one for people with them? <BR> <BR>thank you

top Jul 23rd, 2001 07:31 AM

toppy topmeister

Dee Jul 23rd, 2001 09:29 AM

Thanks to everyone who provided the helpful advice. Appreciate it!

Dail Jul 23rd, 2001 09:48 AM

We did not have a reservation - got up early and got to the Uffizi at 7:45 a.m. They open at 8:15 a.m. and we walked right in. (The line had started to build however.) It was absolutely delightful - also have a cappicino in the cafe - sit on the loggia overlooking the Palazzo Vecchio with a great view of the Duomo. Buona Fortuna!!

Chris Jul 23rd, 2001 10:05 PM

Sonnie <BR> <BR>It was a "house" for some of the powerful families in Florence (changed "owners" a couple of times). Now displays art, where the people lived, etc. It's sort of like Schonbrunn in Vienna (but the outside isn't as pretty) <BR> <BR>I would rate it a must see, but I love looking at interior decor (old wallpaper, lighting fixtures, etc.) I found it rather dull on the outside, but inside is beautiful -- painted ceilings (apparently they ALL were in Italy!), wonderful art, beautiful details. I'm not huge on all the art (at this point, if I see another "Madonna and Child" I will SCREAM), so it didn't take me as long to go through as a real art-lover would. <BR> <BR>When you order through weekendafirenze, they tell you where to pick up the tickets. Usually at one of the exits of the museum. And there are signs outside of the museum too, to point you in the right direction. It's kind of like getting into a night club -- you stand behind a ribbon and a guy with a clipboard checks you off the list, then you go to the cashier, get your ticket and go in. In the Uffizi and the Accademia, I waited 15 min or so -- I guess they want to space out the people coming in. But the non-reserved lines were waiting MUCH longer than I was.

Sonnie Jul 24th, 2001 06:00 AM

Thanks for the info Chris. We'll be in Florence for 4 days so I will definetely add it to our plans.

Chris Jul 24th, 2001 07:45 AM

Sonnie <BR> <BR>No problem at all -- have a lot of fun, but do be careful. Florence is the only city where I've not felt comfortable being alone. I'm not paranoid, but I always felt that there was someone watching me (and once, there was -- he waited at least 30 min for me to finish my lunch and started walking with me -- got rid of him rather easily by telling him that I was on my way to meet my husband, but it still made me VERY uncomfortable.) <BR> <BR>Otherwise, I liked Florence. One thing that surprised me is that the outside of the building doesn't do the inside justice. Many times I walked into an "unimpressive" place only to be stunned by the beauty inside. <BR> <BR>Another place that might interest you is the Medici library (Michalengelo's steps -- they're gorgeous.) It doesn't take long to visit. <BR> <BR>Bon voyage!