Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question about Flight from JFK to Frankfurt and then onto Paris... How Much Time?

Question about Flight from JFK to Frankfurt and then onto Paris... How Much Time?

Jul 29th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Hello all! I'm making my first trip to Paris this December and will be staying there from 12/28 to 1/6. This is my first international trip and I have concerns about the amount of time I have from the time we (my two friends and I) land in Frankfurt and then have to catch the flight to Paris. I booked the flights via Orbitz and there is only one hour between the time we land from JFK into Frankfurt and have to catch the flight on to Paris. Is this not enough time? And if that's not enough time, should I call to change the flight or take my chances on standby if I miss the connecting flight?? Any help would be appreciated.
Jul 29th, 2007, 04:08 PM

If you've already booked your flight, it's unlikely they'll change it for you. Just hope for the best and be prepared to get to Paris on the next flight.
Jul 29th, 2007, 04:11 PM

You will probably make the connection, but I would question whether your luggage will. It's a crap shoot. We did the JFK to Paris thru Frankfurt and had 1.5 hours, and our luggage made it, but on the return trip, No!

I do not like Frankfurt for connections. You have to go thru immigration and back thru security.
Jul 29th, 2007, 04:31 PM

My only concern is that you may be late coming into Frankfurt - since at JFK you'll be dealing with not only possible bad weather, but also holiday crowds. And - the later in the day the flight is (and I'm assuming you're taking a night flight) the greater the chance of delay.

If you can change it now to leve yourself more time do so - but I doubt you can without considerable penalty.

As long as it's all one ticket/airline they will simply put you on the next plane to Paris. Have you checked the airline web site to see how many flights a day they have?
Jul 29th, 2007, 04:33 PM

Frankfurt is a horror. I swear I walked 4 miles there last summer for a connecting flight to Rome. To give you some idea of the size of the airport, airport workers ride through the terminals on bicycles!

Good luck. Don't be surprised if you don't make it. Be grateful if you do.
Jul 29th, 2007, 04:56 PM

I'm sorry, I flew from Newark thru Frankfurt.

Last time I flew out of JFK, the flight was over an hour late because of the queue for takeoff. We did leave the gate on time, but sat on the runway.
Jul 29th, 2007, 05:41 PM

I doubt you can change the ticket, but it's definitely worth a try. We recently sat on the runway at JFK for two hours for a flight into Paris. And it was due to traffic congestion, not bad weather. Whether this will resolve or not after the summer, is hard to say.
Jul 29th, 2007, 05:49 PM

I disagree about connections in Frankfurt. I have a feeling you may be dealing with Lufthansa and if you are, you are in good hands. Remember this is Germany and they keep things moviing.

Here are soem tips,

1. Many times flight will arrive early to Germany, you are probably arriving early in the morning so the potential for a delay is slim.

2. Use the restroom on the jet just before landing, this will save time at the airport.

3. Head right to immigrations on landing, you will have to clear immigrations in Germany before your flight to Paris.

4. Look online and chack out maps of Frankfurt so you are familar.

Generally you are landing in the international area and heading to the area for European flights, so it is not close. Keep moving.

http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.com...rt_city_en.htm
Jul 29th, 2007, 05:56 PM

I was dealing with Lufthansa too, and it was still a nightmare. Not to mention the she-wolves who patted me down at 7 am at security. I still have nightmares about that connection.