Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question about driving and lodging in Europe.

Mar 9th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

We are going to Paris in sept (22-30) but we may also have enough time and funds after Paris to take a week or so to drive around Europe say, from Paris to Munich and leave from there. My question is. Would you look for inexpensive ( 40 to 60 Euro) lodging in small towns on the internet and where would I look? or would you just find rooms as you go? Thank You.
Mar 9th, 2007, 06:01 AM

First - plot a tentative itinerary.
Next - search (on the internet) for potential lodging options.
Last - based on the above, decide whether or not you need to make advance reservations.
Mar 9th, 2007, 06:07 AM
rex

I would stay in France. You can find tons of contrasts (with Paris, but also contrasts from one part of France to another). Try browsing through http://www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/index.htm properties for some interesting and economical choices.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 9th, 2007, 06:09 AM

I often travel outside of the high season without reservations. It depends on your comfort level for doing so.My travel style of necessity tends to be more seat of the pants than planned. I have had success in finding lodging through a town's tourist office and by just looking for "Zimmer frei" or equivalent signs as I go. If one place doesn't have space they will most often direct you to a place that does. You are somewhat limited in that you are at the low end of the housing budget, but you should be able to do it. I have enjoyed some very pleasant Zimmers in that price range in small towns. Check hostels if they fit your needs.
Mar 9th, 2007, 06:13 AM
ira

Hi S,

Late Sept/early Oct is still the shoulder season.

I also suggest staying in France.

If you pick up a car in France and drop it in Germany, you will pay a large dropoff fee.

If you must see Germany, I suggest taking the new TGV Est to Stuttgart (schedules will be available around June, I think) and starting your drive from there.

Mar 9th, 2007, 06:30 AM

Don't forget that the Oktoberfest will be on in Munich in September and accomodation will be hard to find.
Mar 9th, 2007, 06:31 AM

The Logis chain is good and reaches a bit into germany
Mar 10th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for you replys. I think we will just head to Strasbourg (both side of the border) then head to Mulhouse france, Basel switzerland Dijon France and back to Paris. We have 8 nights and I think we can see a lot of contrasts and get a good feel of being in the countryside.
Mar 10th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Listen to Rex and the others about Logis de France. We had Logis reservations during a three week trip through France for all but four nights in Paris. Clean, comfortable, many with good restaurants, and economical.

You can see the hotels at their website.
Mar 10th, 2007, 09:05 AM
ira

Hi S,

>..we will just head to Strasbourg .... Dijon France and back to Paris.<

I suggest taking the train to Strasbourg, renting a car up to Dijon and taking the train back to Paris.

Look for PREMS fares at www.voyages-sncf.com.

You can find Logis properties at www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/index.htm

We prefer the 2* properties with 2 or 3 chimneys.