Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question about Carry-on Issue at CDG Last Month

Apr 19th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

When returning from Paris last month with a group of students, I was informed at CDG check-in that all of us would have to check both our large pieces of luggage and our carry-ons. We were allowed to keep only our personal items and were not charged to check the other luggage. The problem, however, was that the kids hadn't packed their carry-ons to withstand baggage handlers, and some cherished souvenirs were banged up a bit. When making the group reservation with the airline, we had been told we could have both carry-ons and personal items on board as usual. When I later checked the CDG website, no announcement to the contrary was found.

Next month, I will return from CDG with yet another group of students and have been given the standard carry-on/personal item assurance by the airline. Does anyone know why CDG is not honoring this policy? Was this change only temporary? I would like to give the kids correct information about packing this time. Many thanks for any help on this matter!
Apr 19th, 2010, 06:12 PM

It might have been an issue with the airline, not CDG. It also may have been when there was a temporary security issue such as when the idiot diplomat was smoking in the plane restroom a few weeks ago and they thought he was a terrorist.
Apr 19th, 2010, 07:29 PM

This may have been a function of the size of the carry-ons. Carry-ons that are acceptable to US airlines are often too large for the smaller size requirements in Europe.(I have seen passengers in Zurich have t gate check a 20" bag that would be allowed onaplane inthe US).

Check the airline web site for exact size-in both directions-and remember tht it includes wheels and handles.
Apr 19th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Although I can't be sure about the exact size of everyone's carry-on, my own was only 16 inches, wheels included, and quite a number of kids had smaller ones. One was forced to check a fabric bag about 14 inches square (no wheels) and definitely not suited to the cargo area--so lots of breakage. The overhead compartment above my seat contained only my coat during the flight, so space wasn't the issue either. Moreover, the idiotic smoking diplomat didn't pull his stunt until two weeks after our return. So, I'm still perplexed.
Apr 19th, 2010, 09:27 PM

What airline?
Apr 20th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

We were on US Airways last month and will be on Lufthansa in May.
Apr 20th, 2010, 07:18 AM

Well, why don't you ask US AIrways what the deal was? They are the ones that made up the rule, I suspect. I have never heard of an airport making up carryon rules, but I suppose maybe in some unusual situations (I think Heathrow did once due to some terrorism thing).

If a plane is really full, they are more stringent, of course, but the 14 inch square bag would always be allowed, I suppose. I think I've flown on airlines when it was really full and they wouldn't allow carryons, just personal items. But that doesn't seem to be the issue, so I think only US AIrways can answer this one. They are such a bad airline, though, so who knows why they do things. I think the airport can set rules about what is allowed through security (eg, no liquids, flammables, sharp objects), but it is the airline that decides about how much carryon baggage is allowed.

Once I flew through CDG when there were special rules for people flying to the US due to some heightened security concerns. As I recall, everyone on the flight had to have their baggage hand-searched. This was only for flights to the US.
Apr 20th, 2010, 08:05 AM

Did you have to gate check these bags or were you required to check them when you were first checking in?

The people on Flyertalk will know why. Have you checked for a thread about it on that site?
Apr 20th, 2010, 10:30 AM

As Christina said - "heightened security concerns." Affects travel to the US, and can be imposed on the airlines flying to US without warning or notice. The airlines must cooperate or lose their landing rights in US. I've been caught up in such situations three times this year already. One day normal carry-on allotments, the next personal items only. In this day and age, you learn to be flexible and prepare for whatever situation you might find when you arrive to check in for your flight.
Apr 20th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

I'm inclined to agree that "heightened security concerns" must be the answer to the mystery, Julia, especially if you've been in similar situations on random days. The airline's Customer Service was clueless when we checked with them, and to answer your question, kybourbon, we had to check the carry-ons when we first entered the terminal.

For next month's trip, I will suggest sizable purses for the girls and laptop bags for the guys--all filled with their valuables and souvenirs. We will pack carry-ons more carefully, just in case we are required to check them..

Thanks to all who offered ideas and help. I have been very curious about this issue and had found no solid answers.