Search

Question about approximate flight prices to Europe in February from Boston

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about approximate flight prices to Europe in February from Boston

Hi everyone!
I am thinking of taking a trip to Europe this February, perhaps solo since my husband can't get off from work. I have only been to Europe once before when I was 16...spent about a month in France as a high school exchange. I am a teacher, and am limited to traveling on school vacation weeks. I have no idea what is a good airfare price to Europe in the winter, on a school break.

A few of the cities I would be interested in going to would be: Paris, London, or Rome. The lowest fare I have seen is a non-stop out of Boston to Shannon, Ireland for $218!! Although this is a great fare, I'm hesitant to book it as Ireland is a place my husband would like to enjoy together.

What are some common winter prices to the popular cities? $500 or more? Will the fact that it is school vacation matter price-wise? When would you suggest booking? I would like to go anywhere from 4-7 nights, and don't want to spend a ton as we have a few other vacations planned in the next year.

Any help or direction you could give me would be greatly appreciated...thank you!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:11 PM

I live in Spain, so I don't know much about fares from America, but that flight to Shannon seems very very cheap. Maybe you could buy it and then flying from Shannon to any of your destinations.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

kenderina: what an interesting idea, thank you!

Also, I should clarify that even though Rome, London, and Paris were the only 3 specific cities I mentioned, they are not the only 3 I would consider visiting.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Last January I paid $520 for San Francisco to Marseille. I think Paris was $500? I would imagine you could do better from Boston.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:20 PM

February is more of a low season for flights out of Boston. $218 is a great fare- but keep looking! Try all of the airlines that fly in and out of Logan for a few key cities. Also keep in mind that money saved on a less expensive fare to London will be eaten up by the higher costs of that city! BA.com is a good website for looking at various prices. Also consider a package deal on their website. It's often less expensive that booking a hotel and flight.
Flights within Europe might not be less expensive in Feb as many schools are also on break!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:51 PM

Booked a flight for my sister from Boston to Paris for February break. The ticket was 230 dollars round trip non-stop on Air France. If you are under 26 you can get a student discount also. www.airfrance.com
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

TransitBuddie: That's a fantastic fare...when did you book it and for what dates? The fares for my dates are not nearly as cheap...much more expensive, in fact.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 05:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have flown from Boston to Europe during February vacation week every year for the past three years. I don't know where TransitBuddie found that fare, but it will be very hard to duplicate. Does that include taxes?

I have gotten round trip tickets to Paris for $350 on Air France by purchasing them in May, when AF had a sale running. And two years ago we flew to Rome for $450 round trip on a sale from British Air.

The problem for traveling that week, as you no doubt know, is that flights fill up, and it might be harder as time goes on to find seats at good fares.

The fare to Shannon might be worth pursuing if you can find a cheap flight from Shannon to one of the cities you would rather visit. Check www.whichbudget.com

And be prepared for overbooking on flights from Logan during February vacation. Last year we got bumped by Air France in both directions, which was extremely profitable! But it requires the flexibility to leave and/or return a day late.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Beachgirl86, my tips is to book early in advance. Try to have a Saturday night stay over and choose your departure and returning dates on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. I usually try looking up flights with a major travel agency like Travelocity; then find and narrow it down to the cheapest airlines. I go directly to the cheapest airlines' sites to book.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice!

Right now, the best I'm doing is a non-stop RT to London on British Airways for about $500. If I took that, I would get a RT Eurostar to Paris and visit both cities.

What do you all think? Should I wait for a fare sale for February, even though it's a school vacation week, or book early??
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:53 PM

beachgirl, you would think you could monitor the airline websites for a while and watch for a good fare because Feb is considered low season to most places in Europe. However, because you are looking at a very specific time, you don't have the flexibility you might need to get the low fares.

What I would suggest is to go to a site like travelocity where when you put in the dates you want to travel you can click on to see the seats available on the planes. If you notice that the seats are getting full that means there probably will not be any better prices closer to your travel dates and you might want to take one of the lowest fares you can find, like the BA $500.

I was using that approach to find a good fare to Rome from Baltimore in November (which should have been under 450 I thought). The prices were all 700 and more and the planes were starting to be more than half full so when a fare came on at 570 I took it. I thought I would be able to wait until early September to find the best fares but I don't know if it is because its Rome but the good buys just don't seem to be out there. I'll be watching for a bit to see if I made the right decision. Good luck finding a good price. Deborah
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Deborah: That's excellent advice, thank you! I checked the seats on Orbitz for that flight on BA, and right now it looks about half full on the way there, and a bit less than that on the return flight. I will keep checking that, that's a great way to monitor the flight. I did that with my trip to Aruba next April, but I had forgotten about it. Thanks again!
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 01:42 PM

I paid 535.00 dollars round trip from Grand Rapids MI, to Toulouse this past February, I check everyday on the net to see if the prices go down. It seems to me that flying on a Wednesday and returning a Monday has the best fares, also, orbitz and NWA have worked for me in the past...humm, I don't know anybody in Boston, I'd be willing to fly to Boston and then to Toulouse if I could find a ticket for 218.00!! anybody help me!