Question about Alitalia 777's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying from JFK to Rome on Alitalia, a 777. Each seat in coach has its own video screen, and in looking at the Alitalia site about the 777, the screen is in the seatback. This is an overnight flight, and most people will recline and sleep. Can you still see the screen if the person in front of you reclines the seat all the way? Thanks for any input.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 02:15 PM

I have not flown this flight, but 2 years ago I was on a similar plane on Swissair. When the seat in front is reclined, it is possible, but very difficult, to see the screen.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 02:27 PM
GAC

The little screens should pivot in a fashion which makes them visible when the seatback is fully reclined.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:03 PM

I took this flight - yes, you'll be able to see the screen.

I guess like me, you're one of the unlucky ones that can't sleep on the plane either?
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 06:59 PM

Coach seats on most international airlines don't recline nearly as much as they did years ago. It has changed a lot,...sometimes only about 5 inches, which has helped prevent a lot of hard feelings and controversy. The screen built into the seat in front of you will tilt so you can see it at all times. The plane interior designers have taken this into consideration. Of course we ALL wish no one in front of us would recline their seat at all...but unfortunately that is not the way it is, and we must tolerate it. Especially if WE ourselves like to recline to rest our back!!!!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 03:46 AM
JonJon

The screens pivot to accommodate for the recline.
And, yes, I am always interested in those folks who don't want you to recline your seat in front of them but don't seem to mind reclining their own...of course, when you take a good look at them you realize they are probably so disadvantaged that this little maneuver probably keeps them from going completely over the edge.
Enjoy your trip.

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info.
Beth, yes, unfortunately I am one of those unlucky ones that can't sleep on planes. When I take the redeye back to NY from the west coast, I'm the one poor soul awake and working. So, that personal TV on Alitalia will be very nice.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 07:40 AM

Just came back from Paris, RT on Continental's 777. Despite the 3-3-3 configuration, it was better than I had anticipated. I thought it would be claustrophobic, but it wasn't; seemed that the "ceiling" was higher than in 767's? The individual screen is especially nice for us non-sleepers.
And a "first" for me: the young college age fellow (probably on spring break) in front of me asked if it bothered me if he reclined his seat!

Another tip about 777: I went to seatguru.com and discovered that the last row of this plane (row 44) has only 2 seats on either side (aisle and window), allowing for a bit more room, so on way back we got these seats; too late for getting them going over.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:12 AM
GAC

grandmere: is it true that the twin seats (row 44) on the Continental 777s are in a very quiet area? Do the seatbacks recline fully? Is the plane curved such that there is less shoulder room? Is there noise from the lavatory in the back? From the galley?
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:17 AM

The seatbacks reclined fully; there appeared to be the same shoulder room. I had a more difficult time hearing the movie than on trip over (in different part of plane), and it seemed to be more from the plane itself than galley, lavatory noises. I would book these seats again, traveling with one other person.
Someone said there might be a lot of people standing around waiting for the lavatory, but there was an announcement made prohibiting this; no problem along those lines.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:33 AM

I also just flew CO's 777 R/T to CDG (from IAH). Flights are pretty empty both ways, and I got 3 seats for myself. I did see the twin seats on row 44. To me they don't seem to get any more room, and they are just in front of the lavatories. They are definitely not as great as the twin seats in the last 2-3 rows of 747s, where there are always a lot of extra shoulder room between the window and the window-seat. I'd say if it's a full flight, and you have two people travelling, then those may be preferrable. But otherwise, not a big advantage.

About the 777 itself, it's larger than then 767, and Boeing has done a lot of research in the contour of the ceiling to make it seem as tall and as wide as possible. Also, the aisles on the 777 is the widest of any planes I've flown. Wider than 747 (in a typical 3-4-3 layout), or Airbus 330/340 (in a typical 2-4-2 layout). As a result, two people can actually pass each other in the aisle, and people can pull their roller-bags down the aisle.

In general, it's one of the more comfortable planes to fly on if you have an aisle seat. You don't get bumped by passing people or the meal carts at all.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:14 PM

I'm going to Milan on an Alitalia 777 the first week in May. I booked through Delta when their fares went down last month. I have spoken to two different Delta agents and each told me the last row on the left and right of the plane is 43 and the configuration is still 3/3/3. The agent I just spoke to told me that row 44 is only made up of the 3 middle seats? Maybe I should call Alitalia and see what they say? The same agent also told me each airline configures their 777's differently. Has anyone acutally been on these Alitalia 777's? Very curious...
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 04:31 AM

Alitalia's 777 is 3-3-3 all the way to the back. Last row is 45. Click on the link to the seatmap on this page...

http://corporate.alitalia.com/en/fleet/b777/welcome.htm