Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   question about a Paris apartment on lodgis.com (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/question-about-a-paris-apartment-on-lodgis-com-529229/)

Dylan_J May 15th, 2005 10:45 AM

question about a Paris apartment on lodgis.com

My wife, some friends and I are going to Paris next fall for two weeks and I've found an amazingly cheap 2 bedroom apartment in the 10th on www.lodgis.com (no. 3102548). It is 490 euro per week and looks alright (not luxurious or anything). Just wondering if anyone has stayed in this apartment and what's wrong with it - you know, too good to be true...
Also, if nobody has stayed here could someone let me know what the neighbourhood is like - rue du faubourg du temple Goncourt (Hopital Saint-Louis) - I assume that means the Boncourt metro station...
Thanks,
http://vacation.apartment-paris.com/...a132577c56029e

Christina May 15th, 2005 11:42 AM

That would be the Goncourt metro stop, on the border of the 10th and 11th. It doesn't seem amazingly cheap to me, that's a cheap neighborhood, so the owner is probably doing pretty well for renting that at 500 euro a week. Still, that does seem a decent rate for shorterm rental apartments.

It's not too far from Canal St Martin, but I don't know that particular neighborhood well -- I've been around it just a bit, but it's an up-and-coming area (more around the Canal) and should be okay if you don't expect something glamorous.

I can see some things wrong with that apt, but assume you've seen them. It is very small for a 2 BR apt (the bedroom with queen bed is only 10 m2). The other bedroom appears to only have bunk beds or bedding arrangements that would be okay with children. I don't think it looks that good for four adults (flip for the top bunk?). I kind of wonder about the terrace as it says the apt. is on the first floor. Since that's a French web site, I would think they do not mean ground floor, but can't tell. Maybe that's just some central courtyard available to any tenant or something.

I think there is a poster on here who knows that neighborhood better and maybe will comment (Davein Paris). I just don't think it is appropriate for four adults, though, that's the big thing.

francophile03 May 15th, 2005 11:54 AM

Christina's been to Paris alot and is familiar with many districts. I've heard of the Canal St. Martin area and it seems really nice if that's where this apt. is located. But on the whole the 10th is not too great. Is your budget limited to around 500 euro? If you can double it I think you may get lots of nicer choices in better locations. Just a thought.

Matt May 15th, 2005 12:20 PM

I used to live on Rue du Faubourg du Temple. I posted a reply to your post but I don't see it anymore. In my opinion for that money you can find an apartment in nicer areas. I paid 700 Euros a month for a furnished apt bigger than that one, which was not considered cheap for that area.

mijols3 Apr 11th, 2006 10:13 AM

paid 700 Euros a month for a furnished apt bigger than that one, which was not considered cheap for that area.

Matt, can you give me the details on the apartment?

Dave_in_Paris Apr 11th, 2006 11:05 AM

Hi Dylan,

Rue du Faubourg du Temple is a very busy shopping street - food shops, small dry goods stores, a few restaurants and a theater among other businesses. The street has an ethnic flavor. That is Metro Goncourt, on a line that shoots you down to the Seine

Dave_in_Paris Apr 11th, 2006 11:36 AM

Hi Dylan,

Rue du Faubourg du Temple is a very medium width busy shopping street - various food shops, small dry goods stores, a few restaurants and a theater among other businesses. The street has an ethnic flavor. That is indeed the Goncourt Metro stop, on a line that shoots you down near the Seine, to the Hotel de Ville Metro, very quickly. Rambuteau (an intermediate stop) is at the site of the Beaubourg modern art museum. Rue Faubourg du Temple would not be for everyone. On the shabby side, but not unsafe. The photos show a narrow passageway, and my hunch is that the apartment is off the street in a courtyard. Sometimes courtyards are higher than street level, and that may account for the reference to the "1st floor." In that case, there could be foot traffic past the apartment windows.

Dave_in_Paris Apr 11th, 2006 11:38 AM

Read that "medium width, very busy shopping street."