Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Queensday in Amsterdam, is it worth getting right on the train for, right after landing in Paris.

Search

Queensday in Amsterdam, is it worth getting right on the train for, right after landing in Paris.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 03:26 PM
Victor

We are flying to Paris, arriving <BR>8:30 am 4/29. We were going to <BR>stay 2 days in Paris then go to <BR>Amsterdam for a few days then <BR>Brugge for a couple of days then <BR>back to Paris for our return <BR>flight. Now my companion has <BR>found out that 4/30 is Queensday <BR>in Amsterdam so she wants to <BR>head straight to Amsterdam upon <BR>landing in Paris, to join in the <BR>festivities, saving Paris for <BR>the end of the trip. To me this <BR>doesn't seem logical as we would <BR>have to endure a long train ride <BR>immediatelay after a long plane <BR>ride. Plus we would be losing <BR>out on some touring time by <BR>going on the train in the middle <BR>of the day. My question: is it <BR>worth it to go to all this <BR>trouble to be in Amsterdam on <BR>Queensday?

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 05:44 PM
Victor

<BR>Anyone been?

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 05:06 AM
Bill

Victor.... <BR>My wife is Dutch and we've been there for Queensday....it's a wonderful occasion for the Dutch. Queen Beatrix visits a different small town every year. The kids sing a song to her and give her flowers....Everyone flies their Dutch Flag...very patriotic and fun. But Amsterdam is almost like another country. The Pubs are jammed, as are the streets (which many people use as toilets). Perhaps there are places where it's fun in Amsterdam, but it's more fun outside the city. I wouldn't go back there with a full nights rest, let alone after a 7+ hour plan ride and then another 7 hours on a train. Just my humble opinion. It would be interesting to see what a real Amsterdamer thinks about it.

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 07:30 AM
Victor

We're probably nuts .. but we have decided to go for it. However our destination will be Haarlem not Amsterdam. We hear that there is a display of flower parade floats there. <BR> <BR>Bill: Do you know what town the Queen will be in this year?

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 01:40 PM
Bill

Well, I have to say Haarlem is nicer than Amsterdam....I don't know where the queen is going to be....my wife checks out the Dutch newspapers now and again, I'll ask her to check. You will be in Holland during the best time of the year however. The tulips only bloom from the end of April to maybe the end of May...it would definitely be worth it to try and check out a couple tulip fields or even the "keukenhoff". It'll be the most beautiful fields of color you've ever seen. I didn't have time to find any links for you...but just do a search for it and something should come up.

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 12:06 AM
Myriam

Victor, <BR>According to the (unofficial) homepage of "Koninginnedag 2000" (=queensday) the queen will visit Katwijk aan Zee this year. This is about 30 km south of Haarlem. <BR>If you have time, do follow Bill's advice and visit the "Keukenhof" tulip exhibition. Take a look at their website: www.keukenhof.nl. <BR>

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 04:40 AM
Bob

I've heard that Queens day will be celebrated on the 29th this year due to the 30th being a Sunday. I will be there for the festivites myself, only in Amsterdam. <BR> <BR>