Quedlinburg or Bamberg as Home Base?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travelling solo to a new area of Germany (for me). LOVE what I've researched about Q'burg, but > 5 hours from Frankfurt airport and not sure about convenience of rail transport for daytrips OR # of area towns of interest to fill 7-10 days.
Also LOVE what I see about Bamberg, and the fact that it's only 2.5 hours from Frankfurt airport, with a few more towns I might like to visit, BUT daunted by town's population of 74,000 (too big for me!). I would like to STAY in one of these towns and VISIT the other for a day (4 hrs apart).
I know there is nice hiking around Q'burg, but I have a thing about hiking alone, so probably wouldn't (can't read a map to save myself!)
Any input, particularly regarding Ferienwohnungen at either (insist on less than 50 E per night)!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

ttt--anyone?
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 12:20 PM

I don't have too much information on the locations you are asking about, but I wanted to pass information along on the Ferienwohnungen. We are staying in a Ferienwohnungen in Berchtesgaden next Month and found a great selection of German Ferienwohnungen on www.vacation-apartments.com. You may want to check them out.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 12:45 PM

We spent a day and night in the old town of Bamberg and we LOVED it. We were there in February 2005, just about 2 months ago. We didn't venture into the larger new part of the city at all (divided by the river). The old town part of Bamberg doesn't feel big at all and is full of interesting and historical things to see. The only papal tomb north of the Alps is in the Dom (cathedral).
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 01:47 PM

I spent three days in Bamberg and loved it. It didn't feel like a big city. It is close to a big nature preserve or park that is great for biking/hiking. The smoked beer was addictive. I received a promotional package from the city with an extensive listing of accomodations of all types and prices. Very helpful.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 03:44 PM

I was in both places in 2001, and Bamberg is the winner. But then, Bamberg is considered one of the top spots to visit in Germany, and I'd certainly agree with that. The Rathaus on the bridge over the river is worth a trip to see.